An 'e-motion'al connect - Hemanth's Ather 450

On 7th October, I had got a message on WhatsApp from Autovert asking me for the ODO reading and I sent it on 9th once I crossed the 5k mark.

I was still wondering what “special gift” or what exactly is the promotion. And today an unknown DTDC parcel was delivered home a couple of hours ago. My Mother sent me this picture…

It’s a Quechua Jacket/Windcheater and 3 masks.
Who doesn’t like gifts! :slight_smile:

And Yesterday, Autovert sent another Nice to know detail…

33 Likes

The scooter was picked up as scheduled on October 11th evening. The executive who picked up, inspected the scooter in detail, heard all our issues (not many) before taking the scooter. This whole exercise took a good 15 minutes. He told that the service work would be started on Saturday morning.

Saturday afternoon, I called the customer service asking for the current status as I’d not got any information whatsoever after the scooter was picked up. He told that the scooter is ready for delivery but would be delivered on Sunday as there are no executives to deliver it. I asked what all work was carried out. he listed down the issue about the rattling I had mentioned and it’s been sorted out. Apart from that, all regular checks was performed he informed. I was ok with the delivery time (as long as we get it before Monday) and hence ended the call.

Later he called me again and told that he can deliver that day itself as they could get a delivery rider. As per schedule, it reached me by 5:30PM. I went for a test ride and the rattling was gone, the Saree guard and the mud guard were all tightened. Cost…obviously Zero.

The good:

• Pickup and delivery perfectly on time
  • Issues solved (all minor though)
  • ease of service

Could’ve been better:

• Communication: No body called me before starting the work and after completion. Only when I called I got the information.

Overall a satisfying service experience.

Two days ago I got the electricity consumption reimbursement for Q3, 2019.
I keep a monthly record of the vehicle odo it was 2792kms for the period of July1 to Sep30 2019. The consumption was 138.72 units and Hence I got
₹901.70 at the rate of ₹6.5 per unit. This comes down to ₹0.32 per km.

However I’m in a slab higher than this and I’ve to pay ₹7.8 per unit. That is ₹1,082.16 in total for 3 months. this comes down to ₹0.38 per km. Still 5 times cheaper running cost per km than a petrol scooter.

Ok it’s not rubber. Anyway I’ve still not felt the need for a rubber mat. Even for cleaning, whatever I’d have done if there was a mat, I do it here. To each his own. Interested to understand what is 10548570 :slight_smile:

So this is another accessory made by an owner. I guess pretty soon some owner will come up with an all round guard and a centre stand!

Anyway…people say “An idle mind is a devil’s workshop” Today I was idle at home and hence took my Ather to do some small aesthetic additions.

1. The white area of the sidepanel just beside the floorboard was prone to scratches by the feet. Due to this the edges of the PPF layer in this area has started to come off. So got a thin black stripe pasted (some other owner has also done this black stripe) which not only protects the panel but also the PPF.

2. Many people who see the vehicle used to ask me where to plug in the charger to the scooter. I have a PETROL sticker on my car for the fuel cap and that gave me an idea. I got this done on the charging port cap. It’s the fiber number plate material laser cut.

3. I had got the tyre valve changed to the straight one instead of the L shaped one. During that because of the tool to remove the tyre, the black paint on the alloy wheel edges had chipped off at some places.

Thought of doing something to cover that up and make it bit more sporty in the process. So got these stipes on the wheel.

4. I was reminded of another idea with tomorrow being November 1st (Kannada Rajyotsava). This was an idea that @pkg7723 was talking when we met last time.

ಎಲ್ಲರಿಗೂ ಕನ್ನಡ ರಾಜ್ಯೋತ್ಸವದ ಶುಭಾಶಯಗಳು

22 Likes

Ooh this is a good idea for the side of the floor board. Do you know if 3M reflective tape would work for this? Can it be bent and stuck like the tape you’ve put?

Edit: Something like this, but maybe white? https://www.amazon.in/3M-RRR4FT-Intensity-Conspicuity-Reflective/dp/B014L7BC9K/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=3M+reflective+tape&qid=1572522470&sr=8-5

2 Likes

The stripes on the wheel looks too good. :slight_smile:

Regarding cleaning of floor mat: how are you people cleaning it? Any Tips?

This is super I want get this done on my bike as well…:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

These type of reflective tapes can’t be worked with heat AFAIK. Only vinyl (glossy non reflective and radium) stickers which are generally used for number plates of vehicles can be worked with heat and pasted for such areas.

Normal pressure wash and in some cases the usual floor tile cleaning brush (shoe polish brush type but with plastic bristles) has been working great for me. It’s the same brush used to scrub my car’s tyres.

I know that you know my usual shop on JC road for such things :slight_smile:

3 Likes

How do people with expensive bikes and cars do this? The reason why i am super wary of the roadside puncture shop is cos they treat your rims the same way they treat a bicycle! I would be super upset with so many dings on the rim.

3 Likes

They have a hydraulic machine which lubricates and removes it. Avoid using with the 450 tyres though. I tried and they ended up putting the whole wheel with the pully and disc in the machine and it chipped my belt pully.

I had to get it towed and actually done at Ather service!

As a thumb rule, if either wheel has to be removed, go with Ather service.

This is PSA is from experience :stuck_out_tongue:

10 Likes

True. This was not a roadside shop though. They had the hitech hydraulic machine too but this turned out to be too small for that. So he had to use the manual tool. These chipping was only on the rear wheel and only on one side because this was the first wheel. As soon as I saw that I asked him to stop. He then got a plastic covering for that tool and removed it. That however made thte task tough as the tool became thicker. But without option he did it slowly. With Pulley on one side and the disc on the other side, it was not an easy job.

6 Likes

Ok, I clean my Ather every 10 days and during rainy season, I clean the floor mat more often… So, pressure wash by taking to bike service is not easy… I do it with wet cloth…

I also wanted to ask if any way we can pressure wash from home only… I had this question since I hear from many pressure wash (of the belt area) after rains is good…

1 Like

You can just use a garden hose and block the opening to spray/increase pressure. That’s what I do every week.

3 Likes

Okay, In apartment, I (or assume most people) cannot use common taps to connect a hose and clean bikes / cars…

Every one bring their bucket and in case of two wheelers a mug is sufficient…

I was checking in Amazon also if any container which can give pressure spray… but no luck yet…

3 Likes

This? I haven’t used this one though, and you’ll need a converter to use with the 12v port. https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07SKWJPX9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_oITUDbQ2PZVZZ

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know Balaji… No power plug in vicinity and I don’t have a car as well.

A slightly different topic, but related to power:
Afraid of nozzle breaking, I thought to buy an air pump for filling air for my Ather. Initially I thought to invest in a digital one… But, most models which I checked required power and finally bought a basic (Michelin) foot pump…

Similar to what @raghav.srinivasan tried, I got a smart plug to be used between my Charging Pod and my meter which can cut off power based on timer / mobile app. May be when I install that, I need to get a power plug in my parking slot as well.

3 Likes

One person in our apartment uses this. From what I’ve seen, it does a nifty job.

1 Like

Curious, Does he take power from car?

1 Like

Yes. From the cigarette lighter charger. Next time I see him, I’ll get more details and DM you

2 Likes

Hi Balaji, do you have any graphic designs that can be customised for ather bike.???

Does your home WiFi signal reach your parking spot?