An 'e-motion'al connect - Hemanth's Ather 450

Ather service definitely needs to improve. I have had also okayish Experiences with translucent panels fitting, accidental damages and now a squeaking sound. Even though I have service Pro,I have taken the Scooter for both of the services. I have been wrongly charged labour, given wrong timelines,waited hours to drop and I have to be behind them to get the bill for paint and the current issue checked since 2-3 days. The service manager and the team although being a nice and helpful, I have to be after him to get my work done. I had to remind him again the next day also to get my scooter checked after which he says there’s only him and one other guy, two have left. He’ll get it checked once he comes where I stay. I even don’t think he’ll come in a next couple of days. Please please get this sorted. (Service in general).

1 Like

Spare parts unavailability is a concern. I am ready to pay for all the parts like the visor, the left mirror, the handle, but still there is absolutely no urgency in providing these parts. I have been waiting for more than a month now.

1 Like

I was told that the 4G module was changed. I’m not sure if Software was changed or not. Moreover my Ride statistics issue has been there since 15 months, much before many owners who are complaining now had the issue. So I don’t know if it is the same issue. For these two reasons, I really can’t say that an OTA will be pushed to all.

How is your navigation experience?

I’ve not used navigation at all because I’ve been riding in “known” places only.

4 Likes

Hmm, I thought your moderators will have special services, Looks like the company treats everyone the same (you know what I mean). I was having the perfect 4g upgrade experience till the latest “fix” update screws everything up.

My 10k service will come in the following week, and I want to give them my peace of mind. :joy: BTW what did you finally consider for your dad. I’m looking for a 2nd EV Ather’s range is not enough for my routine.

3 Likes

Ah! Finally you get it! We moderators are given so many names (you know what I mean) but finally now you understand that we are just like any another Ather owner out there :slight_smile:

No decision has been made yet. If not for that floorboard, I would have been writing an ownership review of an Ola S1 by now. Anyway, a pre-owned Ather or a pre-owned Chetak is what we are looking at in the EV space. 30kms is the daily running, so a 50kms range vehicle is enough for my father.

5 Likes

And, if it is pre-owned, you get much better value. After, couple of years, you can even upgrade without much loss or guilt.

And, after knowing to use a vehicle 50 km range, you will feel any EV as a huge range upgrade. :smiley:

4 Likes

5 months since I last updated this topic.

The positive things first…The ride statistics sync problem finally is solved. All my ride ride statistics appear correctly. However whenever I return back home and park the vehicle in the basement, that particular ride is not seen until I take out the vehicle the next day. This is attributed to the poor signal strength. I’m satisfied with this although I still don’t understand why this problem wasn’t there in the first year and why the ODO is updated but not the ride statistics.

My scooter completed 3 years in March 2022. The lease term was over. It was time to decide whether to retain the vehicle or return the vehicle. Quoting my own post from 2019 below…at that time I had decided to return the vehicle after 3 years.

My calculation at the time of buying was like this.

Lease or Outright purchase? (at the time of buying)

Based on this, the cost if I return the vehicle was lower and hence I had decided to return the vehicle after the lease term is complete. But then, unsurprisingly life is so uncertain…things didn’t go as per plan!

• The complimentary free subscription for non-lease customers was extended for quite some time after one year. What was supposed to be a benefit for Lease customers was negated by this extension.
  • After some time the subscription was made chargeable for non-lease customers but the prices itself were reduced. Again the cost benefit of lease reduced further.
  • Subscription fee Refund: Due to discontinuation of 3G by Vodafone, we had to live with 2G connectivity till Ather upgraded 4G. for this Ather refunded subscription charges on pro rata basis. This was not passed on to us lease customers.
  • Subscription fee Refund: In November 201 Ather announced that the Connect subscription is made complimentary to all till 15th May 2022 and they gave some refund of subscription charges on pro rata basis. Again, this was not passed on to us lease customers.
  • The Pandemic - it reduced the vehicle usage drastically and the electricity consumption reimbursement was next to nothing. So the cost advantage in lease further came down.
  • Insurance premium… I had estimated premium prices on the higher side (too high) and calculated the benefit. But the actual premiums were way lesser. So the advantage of going for lease was actually less.
  • The resale value of my 450 is still very good. I had expected this to drop greatly as new vehicle options would arrive after 3 years. I was wrong as the EV space hasn’t developed at a pace that I had expected.

The actual calculation ended up somewhat like this…

Lease or Outright purchase? (during Lease completion after 3 years)

The decision to buy on Lease didn’t turn out to be profitable in the end. I took a hit of ~25k going for lease and not outright purchase. Buying it outright would’ve been a better idea.

Further to these calculations, currently there are hardly any compelling vehicle options in the market either.

• The new 450x is not a big jump to warrant an upgrade from 450.
  • The maturity of Ola S1 as a product is still low and has a long way from being fully developed. I almost got it but fortunately I cancelled my booking.
  • Chetak and iQube are decent offerings but not so good to warrant returning my 450 and going for them.

So it was clear that retaining the vehicle is the correct way to go in the circumstances.

Autovert, was really proactive and they were in touch with me over email from as early as January. They communicated clearly about all the formalities for either Returning or Retaining the vehicle. After I told I’ll retain the vehicle, they completed the activities quickly. By the first week of March, they had couriered all the documents over to me and also gave me the contact details of an agent who would complete the transfer formalities at the RTO. Of course I could do the formalities by myself but I just chose to get it done by that agent. He came home, collected all the documents and even within 2 weeks the vehicle transfer was complete. My experience with Autovert was wonderful throughout. Ather has to take a leaf out of Autovert’s Book!

The completion of three years not only meant that the lease was over, it also meant that the vehicle and battery warranties are over too. My vehicle’s battery condition is still good and I’m still getting the same range as I used to get earlier. Even other people who bought during the same time have had no issues with the battery. However some owners from 2018 and early 2019 have reported some issues with other components like the onboard charger, wiring harness etc. which was replaced in-warranty. Some of those are rather expensive components. Looking at those, an extended warranty program from Ather would’ve been nice. Many including me would definitely buy it.

With regards to the Subscriptions, My complementary Ather One 360 plan (which included the electricity consumption refund) also expired by End of March 2022. I’ve not renewed it till now. The connect subscription is complimentary till May 15 2022 and I’ve no intention of renewing after that. This is for two reasons…One I’m not really happy with the value I’m getting for the payment made (both Service and Connect Subscriptions) and two I’m ok to run it just as a scooter without any smart features.

Below is the usage record that I have maintained.

Usage after 3 years

The first year running was 8600kms. Second year it was 1200kms. Third year it was 1800 kms and the last two months after that it has been 1600 kms.

In other things, the scooter running has increased these days with offices restarting partial to full capacity. it has crossed 13200 kms as of today and it has run around 2000kms in the last 2 months. The saree guard and the Number plate holder screw regularly becomes loose and makes noise but tightening with Allen key sorts it out. the tyre pressure also frequently goes down. Apart from these two no major worries and the scooter is doing it’s duties well. It is still a looker. Below is an image I took recently near my home

Bengaluru Blossom

12 Likes

I see that your front panel was changed to black. Was this intentionally or because Ather didn’t have white available anymore ? Since they don’t use them on the 450X. Makes it look like a 450X :smile:
You’ve not once had a M00something error ? @hemanth.anand

I think it was done on purpose.

1 Like

That was the whole idea! :slight_smile:

Touchwood no :crossed_fingers: I’ve never seen any kind of error on my dashboard so far. My issues have always been the invisible kind…data sync issues.

5 Likes

Hey I wanted to do some modifications to my Ather, can you suggest some shop in bangalore?

@hemanth.anand Hi, i believe you had changed rear tyre valve to straight one, may I know where you got it done and how much it cost? Because when I asked with Ather service team they are telling there is no stock and also cost will 300 for valve and 150 for fitting.

It’ll be very helpful if you give me any place where I can replace it as my rear tyre valve has slight leak needs to be replaced ASAP

What kind of modifications? If it is just the basic aesthetic vinyl mods For location details Please seach for sun n shine…I’ve shared the location multiple times earlier.

I did that in Madhus tyre care. It in on Hosur road near lalbagh in Bengaluru

Thank u so much

1 Like