450X: Product/Technical discussions

we can ask @abhishek.balaji or @shreyas.seethapathy. I’m sure, it may have characteristics of wax, but it cannot be wax.

3 Likes

My Ather 450X scooter suddenly not move after on. 82 km range available and motor also in on but though I give the throttle my scooter not move, don’t know what is the issue. I am from Kanchipuram 75km away from Chennai, so what to do now? Pls help

1 Like

Did restart work? Or shut down and turn on back again ?

2 Likes

Hi there I will be taking my 450x delivery this week. I know that its not a petrol scooter ,but is there any need for break in for the scooter during initial days of riding?

Nope. Enjoy your ride.

2 Likes

I am so happy that i received latest update, never expected same with my second gen 450x, was under impression same needs new hatdware,thanks Ather for constant support .

Few observation and i think its a security flaw with Ather … Recently was on a highway with my kid standing infront… By mistake kid switched-off the engine and i was trying to start the engine with brake pressed but it never started. Luckily nothing happened and i was able to come to halt and start the engine. Is this a right design ? Do you expect the rider to stop mid way in high way to start again. Its a serious safety glitch is waht i can say. Every other scooter can be started by pressing the brake and engage switch together even when wheel is rotating. Not sure why Ather has designed this way.

I reported this to their customer care and they said they are not aware of how Ather works and more frustrating was they arranged for a call back and nothing happened even after 3 days. For a safety issue, if Ather response is so bad not sure to say for normal issues.

3 Likes

This sounds like a bigger “safety issue” than the issue itself. Not the safest way to travel on the highway with your kid standing infront of you, and him accidentally switching off using the kill-switch is something you can teach him to avoid. The kill-switch is designed to function to cut-off supply and switch the motor off. In case, your kid decides to accidentally twist the throttle of your scooter, the same kill switch will come handy to kill the motor. Stay safe man and ride safe too!

9 Likes

I’ve had this happen to me multiple times when my daughter would stand in the front and hold on to the mirror stalks. At times her hand would hit the kill switch and turn off the motor.

You can still turn off the kill switch and hold brake+ignition to restart the motor. Have done this numerous times on my 1st gen 450.

However, I would disagree that this is a safety issue. Having a child in front on any road (Yes, I am guilty!) is dangerous and not advisable. And being able to start a motor with kill switch turned on defeats the purpose of having that functionality.

4 Likes

I completely agree its not safe but Reality and practicality is completely different.Lets not divulge in to that as that would divert the current topic. Irrespective of the highway or not highway, the problem remains. At least in 450X gen3 the model i have, unless the scooter comes to stop the start button (break + ignition) is not functioning. Can any other 450X please comment whether you are facing the same problem or something i am only facing it ??

1 Like

After reading your post, I tried doing this at a traffic signal and observed that the vehicle didn’t start before reaching 0 speed (didn’t even start at 1/2kmph). I think it’s not an issue, the company may have designed it this way.

3 Likes

Yes it looks like Ather has designed that way… Even i tried in one of my friends scooter as well and observed the same. My point is that such a design itself is an issue… Even though the probability of this occurrence is bit less but risk is huge. You take any other scooter, you can start when the vehicle is in moving condition as long as they engage both start and brake together at the same time. I have fascino and tried it out and it starts instantly even though the wheel is rotating.

1 Like

i agree this is bad design, and sometimes takes you by surprise when you realise the motor does not start and you have to pull over. i think i read it somewhere, this was done to avoid sudden surge of current that the controller might send/receive if the motor was turned on at speed.

someone correct me if im wrong!

2 Likes

This is big difference between ICE and Ather… Atleast Ather should inform customer of this when asked… While purchasing, the representative said that there is no difference in riding between an ICE and Ather …

2 Likes

ICE scooters use fuel+electricity!!But Ather only uses electricity, if something’s short circuited then it’ll lead to chaos :slightly_smiling_face:!!!

2 Likes

umm, that’s not true, it’s not a short circuit issue, it’s a Hall effect sensor issue if the scooter is not at a stop the sensor cannot decide where the motor magnetic polarity is, to push in the current to which coil is the issue, that is why it needs to come at a complete stop so it can be started again.

9 Likes

Ig that’s not the case. Its because of the massive back emf is what I think.

1 Like

Maybe, Maybe not, but in PMSM it shouldn’t be an issue, the whole point of this type of motor is to take care of Back EMF, Since this is the major difference between BLDC and PMSM is the huge back emf is kind of like the jerky feeling when you let go of the throttle and in PMSM you don’t feel that.

PS in 450 the scooter will start in still riding condition if accidentally turned on the kill switch. since it had a better-quality motor than gen 2.

3 Likes

Still no one from official Ather has responded to this… very surprising to see such a patheitc response for a safety issue from Ather team who i thought always set a very high standards to quality. Not sure who to tag and hence tagging this community manager @abhishek.balaji

1 Like

Hmm… In Gen 2 it starts without stopping?

Maybe i have a special Ather :sunglasses:

4 Likes