450X: Discussions on battery

@abhishek.balaji Does Ather have a plan to update it’s battery pack for Ather 450X in future which will give better range in single charge. Because with time, there must be development in the battery segment. Those who will go for subscription model, they must want these high capacity battery packs to be replaced in their 450X at the time when the performance of the present battery pack will go down below 80%?

2 Likes

I think it won’t be relevant to answer this right now. Since we don’t know what will be the scene in the battery tech world in 3-4 yrs when the first 450X will need the battery. I think you’ll get an idea about what will happen to the battery :battery: in the 450X when ather replaces the first 450 Battery. From what Tarun said, it’s unlikely that our 450 will get the same battery that the scooter came with. All this being said. By the time your scooter actually reaches 80% SOH which will be well over ODO 50000Km there will be new platforms that ather would have launched and in my opinion I think ather’s batteries are designed to last the life of the scooter itself for a moderate user.

1 Like

This is something I believe every EV owner MUST read:

Summary: Ather owners don’t need to worry about battery degradation, and the Ather Team does not need to bring back battery subscription in the near future :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Anyone knows what is the True Range for Ather 450. I’m assuming that is actually the Eco Range which comes out to 75Km. Correct me, if I’m wrong.

In that case, isn’t it odd Ather 450 plus with better specifications has got lesser True range of 70Km. What am I missing here.

3 Likes

It really is quite odd. Especially since it’s 11Kg lighter and if they fit a lesser capacity battery, maybe even lighter.

2 Likes

I HIGHLY doubt this. The battery would have degraded by a lot by then and nobody will pay you what the scooter is worth. As Ather says, calendar ageing is much stronger than odo ageing, so basically use the scooter as much as you want as soon as you can :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

True, I was just kidding. It is not like a mobile where battery replacement is not so expensive (not for Apple phones though)

1 Like

Not sure where you heard this, but it’s not true. Wherever I have researched, a lithium ion battery’s degradation is mainly due to charge and discharge cycles(odo ageing). Calendar aging definitely takes toll on the battery too but it isn’t as strong as cycle life. A lithium battery can be stored for many months without using at 40-50% charge without much issues, the issues come when store them at fully charged or fully discharged state.

1 Like

I have heard about the impact on calendar aging what @Suraj_madhu said in few Ather meets including a latest tweet few days back replying to Arun Bhat.

5 Likes

I was in the same dilemma @sumanth1998 Im not an expert, but when the company itself states this. I believed them. If someone here knows the whole picture about the degradation with some real research to back it, do share. Nowhere did I see calendar ageing to have such a big impact as Ather or some other people have recently stated. But I want to believe that they know what they’re talking about. Maybe someone from the Ather team can help us out here. And to add to what you said @sumanth1998 I bought an old iphone 6 last year in 2019 That’s a good 3 years from its production and the battery health was at 100% when I got it, maybe because we go through much more charge cycles on our phones, that the ageing by cycles used is more of a factor than calendar ageing

3 Likes

The only thing which can help us here is time, we have to see how the ather 450 batteries age, while ather claims this, other ev batteries have proven to age more based on how much they’ve driven. Will have to wait and see.

2 Likes

True. But I think I understand what Ather meant in their tweet, basically Ather has an oversized battery, and so going through charging cycles will degrade the battery but not nearly as much as we expect it to considering, all the experience we have comes from smartphone batteries which use 100% capacity. So with more charge cycles also there isn’t s huge affect on the health. So athers battery negates the affect of degradation(to an extent) by charging and discharging this way. And that maybe makes the calendar ageing a bit more important in this case. Also in the last 8 months. There have been times where my Ather has gone through 2-3 charge cycles and not moved an inch😅, in which case the ODO isn’t a good representation of the degradation. And maybe Ather is basing it’s claims of degradation by age, on tests done on Ather’s battery and not lithium ion batteries in general. Source -https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/why_mobile_phone_batteries_do_not_last_as_long_as_an_ev_battery and a little birdie

2 Likes

After 3 years what is the battery percent normally and what about if degraded , what is the exchange possibility in case want to change the battery after 3 years ,

No owner has had the scooter fo 3 years. Just over 2 years since the first owners got their scooters. A few have crossed the 20k mark and very few the 25k Km mark. But I think 3 years would put the battery anywhere between 85-95% depending on how you’ve used it.

Idk what you mean by this. But if you mean, replacement. To genuinely won’t need a replacement in 3 yrs. Maybe in 5 yrs at the very minimum you might need a change and that could cost somehwere around 30-40k at the time to get the battery we have now. But by then the technology would be better and we’d get much more dense batteries for our scooters. And so the cost is just something we have to wait and see.

2 Likes

Thank you bro :blush: , can you give me your number

1 Like

What is name of charging adapter plug in 450x? Is it ccs type? @abhishek.balaji

How much number of battery cells packed under floor board?

1 Like

It’s a proprietary charger that builds on the existing CCS2 type adaptor.

Here are other charger types in use by EVs today.

3 Likes

How many possible cycles of charging the battery will have same 100% grade for life span?

1 Like

@abhishek.balaji you should consider recruiting @kotteeswar25 for expanding your FAQs :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

10 Likes

Can anyone tell me where ather procures its batteries for its ev, whether it is manufacturing its own or procuring from outside.

1 Like