450X: Discussions on battery

The engine kill switch will not affect the battery drain in anyway. The kill switch is more of an additional safety switch.

With no sound at idle it’s sometimes risky in case of an EV - I’ve put down the scooter once like this. So, after that incident, I always make it a point to first switch off using the kill switch as soon as I stop…even at signals. That’s what is recommended in the video.

Switching off using the Kill switch or Key makes no difference to the battery drain. Switching off vs “Shutdown” makes a difference though.

1 Like

The cost around 50k but some of the showroom employees don’t know most of the real details. Even I heard different price from different employees. Some says 35k some 40+ and abishek Balaji post around 50k. So I guess there is no clear price right now. Just all are indicative only . So it may around 35-50k.

1 Like

The cost of a replacement battery in the 450 is about ₹50,000.

So the older 1865 cell battery is available?
I remember Tarun saying, when we 450 users need a battery change, it’s going to be unlikely that we will get the same older battery we have.

1 Like

I’m an Ather 450X owner of yours, I wanna know about from where Li-ion cells used in the battery are produced? Is it in-house production or imported from any other country ? If it is imported, then please do mention from which country it is imported?

LG 21700 cells from South Korea.

3 Likes

Off late, I was not really checking the idle drain rate. Last week, I felt 100-10% happened < 2 weeks. So, yesterday I thought to check the drain rate after charging it to full.

Yesterday morning around 7, the SoC was @ 100%. Today, around 7,the SoC was @ 91%. I again checked after ~4 hours, SoC was @ 86%. This is very high drain rate, right?

One thing; I did not plug out the charging cable as some times I stop charging remotely and forget to plug out later. I learnt from @Suraj_madhu that it drains more, but did not know if that causes idle drain to be so high.

How much drain other users sees? is this the new normal?

Are you referring to power (battery drain) being eaten due to magnetic lock? If yes, then I see almost similar results since I remotely control charging via wipro smart plug.

I charged and kept on Saturday evening by 5pm at 95%. When I took my bike Monday morning by 9am it was 89% so totalling 6% for 36 hours

2 Likes

Wait. That’s a real thing? The magnetic lock consumes so much energy? Because I’ve seen about 6% drain in 12 hours with the bluetooth turned off but the charger plugged in.

I guess so! Had read that somewhere on this forum. But I barely care since my rides are 99% short and nothing to worry about range!

To be honest, if I wanted to worry about range, I would have brought an ICE (duke). But EV’s are just plain fun to ride + along with Ather’s tech slowly improving (buffeting) :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, this drain is with charging cable docked in.

Without that, the idle drain used to be less than 5% ( I remember checking more than an year back). I can test again if there’s a change.

Update: Today, when I checked at 9, the SoC was @81% 19% 50 hours. Approximately 9% per day.

Here, I wasn’t worried about range, about the waste.

When we ride regularly, the charging cable won’t be docked like this for days. So this wasn’t a big issue and didn’t notice as well.

I think, it may be better to remove the cable after charging, during this low usage time.

Yeah, but it isn’t really because of magnetic dock. What I understand is: When it’s docked, scooter doesn’t go into idle mode. So more drain than typical idle period.

Touchscreen is still active & EM lock is drawing power to keep it engaged. It’s basically in an Key Off mode where all functions except the motor & lights are working.

2 Likes

Just like public charging, an option to release the cable and go into idle mode after 100% SoC may help.

Based on one’s need, we can enable or disable it.

Also, I believe Ather working on Charging Threshold option… What happens after reaching the max threshold. Will it behave like now or go into idle mode?

Is there any serial number on the battery pack, just in case to verify if it is the same.

What is the lower limit for batteries we should use before charging? is it good to drain battery below 20% just to get more mileage ? will it not affect battery life/performance? I remember reading some article that suggest we should recharge it ideally when it drains up to 30-40 % . It gives good battery life… Also frequent charging on fast charger lowers battery life ? do anybody have data on it?

3 Likes

There was 4 percentage drop overnight with a range drop of 3kms after charging my 450x the next day. I’ve been experiencing this from quite some time now. Anyone else facing the same issue?

I’ve been facing some.

3 Likes

Yes, but it is because the sim in the vehicles is active.

1 Like

Your serial number is your chassis number or you may know the VIN number, the battery is integrated into the chassis that is your verification number.