What will happen to Ather 450?

I have one pertinent question to ask @abhishek.balaji @tarun for an official answer from Ather,

what is your stance on planned obsolescence,

till when will 450 be getting updates and support,

and what guarantee that you won’t degrade the performance of 450 through a future update which the customer does not have control over on similar lines to apple degrading the performance of older iphones due to battery degrading since it has been explicitly made clear by @tarun that they are not trying to be an automobile company but a tech company.

The last concluding owner’s meet was in retrospect full of lies from Ather. From the start, it was put across that Bluetooth was unreliable. No immediate upgrade plans and more importantly, battery is good to last for 5 years easily. Now, there is so much of marketing terminology being thrown around. No word on the life of 450 though.

Hence, official stance in writing would be highly appreciated.

6 Likes

They said they are not like other company to keep releasing new products every year but complete reversal of that already.

1 Like

They announced the new product launch in just 3 weeks after the last owners meet where they clearly told there is no new product launch in the near future! If 3 weeks wasn’t i don’t know what was!

4 Likes

Ather 450 will be discontinued. New video on ather linked in page says 450 phased out.

AFAIK, I believe that has always been the plan, right? 450 in a new avatar will be now rolling out into the market as 450 Plus, which is actually just 450X that has been throttled as far as the performance and features go.

2 Likes

I own a 450. I went for the lease option since this was my very first EV. I was a bit skeptical about EV’s in general. I was convinced that “EV’s are going to become faster yet cheaper” in future. After the launch of 450X though , not a day goes by regretting my decision not to buy 450 outright. Upgrading to 450X doesn’t make any financial sense for someone like me. Currently I am keeping an eye on my charging cycles. Hopefully the battery lasts 4 years so that I can buy a new one from Ather (provided Ather still offers support for 450 4 years from now).

The last 450 rolled out of the whitefield factory this week.

5 Likes

Huh😕 unable to see this post on any of their social media channels… How come?

1 Like

It’s on linkedIn

I hear you! Just so that I am sure I understood you completely, why was leasing a bad option for you? I did not lease my 450, so I am probably missing something here, but I thought you could always choose to end your lease early, and even if it ends up costing you extra to do this, the TCO would still end up being cheaper than, say, buying your 450, right?

How come then “450 will roll to a couple of cities”? Another factory or

Then how about actual 450+?

3 Likes

Sad to see a gem is discontinued but it a good sign that a new generation vehicles are going to be produced rapidly.

2 Likes

Since the 450 and the 450x share a lot of parts, I assume they would be able to build them at the Hosur plant - if they intended to sell the 450 in secondary markets.

1 Like

Since ather has stopped manufacturing the 450 and considering that ather has been promoting the sales of 450 a lot for the past few months and with Tarun saying they might bring it to a couple of cities. I’m assuming that they have a quite a few 450s lying around on their warehouse. And they plan on selling them off asap

2 Likes

Simple math actually, by the end of 3rd year I would end up paying Rs.1,63,000 to call it my own. Autovert covers ather one service in their plan (hopefully for all 3 years) but I would still end up paying a premium above the market price. I don’t see a better affordable scooter for the next 5-6 years.

I so hope this isn’t true :frowning:

1 Like

Ah okay, I wasn’t aware you had to complete 3 years of leasing. I was suggesting maybe you could just opt to end the lease now and go for 450X. My bad :slight_smile:

I heard the Ather 450 last batch has rolled out of factory and stopped production line. Is this true? Are ather going to stop the production before 450X rolls out? @abhishek.balaji But still Ather website has active pre booking link.

Well they have to sell the ones they have in their storage facility right? XD