Warp is still Warp

Really liked the post and eagerly waiting for your post on tyre pressure. I am curious how much did tyre over-inflation affect 0-40 times, was it by a second or some negligible difference?

3 Likes

I don’t even have a 450x yet I want to comment something, was the test performed with underinflated tyres too? something that I have noticed in my 450s whenever the tyres are underinflated they tend to move towards the right even with only 3 psi low as if there is a weight balance gone wrong

2 Likes

@vinith_karadi, you are absolutely right.

@abhishek.balaji, if you are concerned on user’s opinion (I know it doesn’t matter), why don’t you pick 3 users from Forum who voted against warp mode and let them decide (I meant to say on track while testing) whether 450x is delivering performance as promised?

Rather you people draw on your own a report and wanted Ather users to presume that it was real? (Come on, you people can do much better)!

@abhishek.balaji, have you referred any of your friends to buy Ather (I did - 4 Referral)? They said good things when they purchased vehicle and from past 2 months it’s other way round. I take full responsibility for it because I vouched for Ather

@abhishek.balaji, Whenever we ask for valid proof, you accuse us Ather users being rude!

Rather than accusing people of being rude, why don’t you come up with proper proof (I meant to say involving real Ather users)? I don’t Mind volunteering…neither does @vinith_karadi.

8 Likes

Yes, you guys are humans with a technical degree at the least and a Master’s degree, and a couple of years of experience.

These are the qualifications that Ather suggests for a Reliability Test lead engineer to join their team. Of course I’d expect to see a proper chart with numbers on the ‘time’ axis. Even I can do the chart for you, if you let me use the dyno for a few days.

7 Likes

What’s the point of publishing data if it isn’t complete?

As it happens, I have a VBox too, and access to a closed road. If you’d be kind enough to release all the numbers, I can try to verify them independently on my scooter and compare it to your benchmark.

BTW: if a couple of PSI of tire pressure, seating position etc. make such a large difference in ride feel, what about the rider’s weight? Do let us know so we can plan our diet routines around the warp numbers.

You’re subtly encouraging street racing now? Nice!

6 Likes

My understanding is that 2 of those tested were from Bangalore owners who complained about WARP Mode degradation.

5 Likes

Were they invited to test ride the benchmark scooter and their own scooters back to back?

3 Likes

No, their scooters were picked for testing and then returned back. Let’s see what Ather does regarding this in the future.

As far as I know the lease scooter which was given to @prateeksuri sir is performing better than his series 1.They have taken his s1 for testing so he has been given a rental scooter till then.

2 Likes

When my scooter was picked up for fixes a couple of weeks after delivery, I had the same experience with the loaner 450 that was at least 3 years old (VIN # 35 or thereabouts). Sure, it was a bit battered and the handlebar was misaligned, but the ride quality was leagues ahead of my brand new scooter.

1 Like

Am enjoying this thread a lot. :sweat_smile::sweat_smile: So much prominence to the warp mode. I am sure a lot of us paid so much money down after experiencing the warp more or reading about it. Ather really need to get their game up. “Competition is coming…” :joy:

5 Likes

My S1 is going be loaded on a truck today and will be taken to Bengaluru. I will be writing a big feedback on my experience till date.

Yes the loaner is way much smoother and has a better throttle response. And guess what, it’s so smooth i don’t have that wrist pain at all.

Just for everyone’s knowledge, my S1 is being taken to Hosur factory I believe due to multiple issues including Warp performance drop (our assumption as per Ather). I had long a discussion with @tarun on this topic and he did mention possible reasons can be belt tension, tire pressure etc.

Fingers crossed and hoping for the best.

But in short, Kudos to Ather for making extra efforts to resolve my issues (no other company does this).

More details soon…

7 Likes

Every self respecting company does, and it’s not a favor; it’s literally their job.

2 Likes

They should do all that for 1,80,000 :joy: anyway, on a serious note, Ather is doing well on responding to customer’s issues & complaints. Just hang in there guys. I am ready to give them a many more chances. My heart goes to them. :heart:

4 Likes

Hey guys, sorry late to the thread. The series 1 which was picked up, is mine. @abhishek.balaji asked me if they could lend my scooter for testing, and gladly did so to help out all of us facing the same trouble!

A few observations after the scooter came back from testing - I could notice the warp mode is back. Yes! Initially I thought that its possible, that my mind accepted this only because it wasn’t with me for a week, but a few changes felt immediate after my scooter was returned -

1 - Belt Tension - the “whee” sound reduced drastically. The reason being, the belt tension was tweaked! And it made a difference for sure IMO

2 - Tyre pressure - Now, I fill my tyres weekly with the Mi tyre inflator I had brought.

Front - 30 psi
Back - 32 psi
Simple enough?

Well not so, I realized. The Mi portable charger is off by +/- 3 psi. So when the scooter was handed over to the Ather team… both front and back tyres were at 38 psi, as mentioned by them. This does effectively make your ride super bouncy and provides a smaller patch of rubber contact to the road.

But… but… how can these things AFFECT WARP MODE SO drastically. It still puzzled me!

Eventually, during last week, I tested two things -

1- have I been filling my tyres wrong ?
2- how much psi can affect the warp mode ?

Answer : 1 - have I been filling my tyres wrong ? -

By the Mi portable, YES. I dropped into a shell petrol bunk and filled the tyres, to specs.
Front - 30 psi
Back - 32 psi
Came home, measured the pressure, it was displaying on the portable inflator :
Front : 28 psi
Back : 29 psi

This proved to me, not to entirely depend on the Mi tyre inflator. Instead, drop in occasionally to a shell petrol bunk to check air pressure. Sigh!

2 - how much psi can affect the warp mode ?

To test this, @abhishek.balaji and @chaitanya.hegde, suggested me to drop the tyre pressure, test the warp mode, and again inflate and test the difference. So I did that on the new airport road and it does make a slight difference. The scooter had a better contact patch on the road, with slightly reduced pressure. And the warp mode performed well.

Again re-inflated the tyres, and tried. I could reproduce very similar results, BUT the ride was bouncy and the contact patch was smaller with the road.

Now a few questions which I put across to @abhishek.balaji and @chaitanya.hegde , what happens in a ferrari, when it experiences a drop in tyre pressure, or how do they fill their tyres accurately? Does that affect performance so drastically?
Maybe the hint lies there. And yes it did. TPMS. All sportscar come equipped with active TPMS on the dashboard in order to ensure optimum performance, as expected.

Now the wait for TPMS begins, to put all my doubts in rest.

To sum it up, IMO, I rode my scooter on warp and sports mode since last week to feel the difference, and it is noticeable. I place my bets on the belt tension being the culprit in my case, which was at 48 hz instead of 55 hz (correct me if I’m wrong @abhishek.balaji ).

Tyre pressure, well extremely debatable and there is really no end to it I feel. I have started maintaining 28 psi and 29 psi by including margin of error from the Mi tyre inflator.

Apologies for a lengthy post, just putting my observations, for the record!

8 Likes

If actual physical phenomena caused a performance drop, how does that begin to explain why a whole host of people started noticing the issue right after a software update?

Also, of the two mentioned probable causes, tire pressure is something that is expected to drop over time and can be brought back up by the user. Belt tension is not.

First of all, why are belts tensioned so inconsistently from the factory? It seems to be the most common reason given by the company for any NVH and acceleration related complaints. Shouldn’t there be a standard value that every scooter should be delivered with?

Secondly, what is the rate of tension loss? One would expect the initial value to remain within tolerance until at least the service interval. If the belts go slack faster than that, a user cannot be expected to monitor and manage it all on his / her own.

Finally, what are the odds that a whole bunch of belts went slack right after a software update?

3 Likes

Validations based on how you felt driving in the warp mode don’t work in this industry buddy. It’s driven by numbers. Would a company sell products just because they felt good riding it? Do you think anybody would just blindly go test ride the scooter for it’s warp mode if they didn’t hear about the 3.3s acceleration? So did you see your scooter hit 40kmph in 3.3 seconds?

@raghav.srinivasan asked me to talk in a mature and civilized manner. So I’m asking for the numbers. We don’t want rumours to cloud consumers here, based on how you felt with different tyre pressures. Did the team show you the numbers after the tweak at the least?

2 Likes

Now we realise how important tpms could be!

I too feel now, its going to be helpful, but at what price, we are yet to know !

May I suggest that all EC & charging grid should be equiped with compressor and well calibrated high quality tyre pressure gauge…

By far the best suggestion, should cut all the confusion !

Who knows if your benchmark scooter really hit 40kmph in 3.3 seconds?

@abhishek.balaji can we reveal these numbers? knowing there are competitors on the forum :joy:

Why don’t you pick 3 users from Forum

I am one of them, brother :sweat:.

I Take Full Responsibility for it - because - I vouched for Ather

Please, please do not take ANY responsibility for any company, unless your paid to do so, sir ! Every time a person asks me, whether he should purchase an Ather, I put across Ather as a company, which has yet to prove a lot and I fall under the category - Early adpopters. If the person is happy with an ICE, please sugget them an Ntroq. Period. But if your friend / relative are ready to accept issues at an early stage of an EV, only then go ahead and refer them. The EV industry has a lot to grow yet, its the tip of the iceberg.

You’re subtly encouraging street racing now? Nice!

:joy:

Were they invited to test ride the benchmark scooter and their own scooters back to back ?

Nope. Ather picked up, self-tested our scooters at their factory in hosur and returned them.

@abhishek.balaji and @chaitanya.hegde, could we include them as well in future, for any inputs and suggestions?

1 - @blackworks 2 - @akkirv786 3 - @vinith_karadi

IMO, They are active and interactive to improve Ather as a company!

Please be clear on how you noticed the change. Also, you’re free to express your opinion in detail on how you felt. Maybe, since we don’t have any numbers to prove the case, we can replace all the expensive equipment used for testing with your judgement of feelings on the warp mode.

Was your heart fluttering and your legs shaking in excitement, like when a really cute girl in the bar asks you out? How did it feel? I’m eager to know buddy.

We don’t want rumours to cloud consumers here, based on how you felt with different tyre pressures. Did the team show you the numbers after the tweak at the least

Yup, hence asked @abhishek.balaji, could we reveal the numbers here ? Not sure, what’s their policy on that.
The numbers shown to me over a meet, to reveal what they observed, had differences in milliseconds. for example - the benchmark scooter had 0-40 kmph in 3.31 sec and mine was at 3.28 sec, if I’m right But again, I want Ather to reveal these numbers here, if they can. That would put a lot of questions at rest.

Considering how Lord Balaji goes out of his way to ignore my posts, and was supposedly involved in having some paid frame realignment work on my scooter delayed after I modified it to eliminate floorboard vibrations, I would expect to see flying pigs before receiving an invitation for a performance test. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes