Upgrading your Ather 450 to 4G LTE

Why Ather decided to use Vodafone 3G - we can’t blame them much… Coz the decision might have been taken much before 4G rollout… Even during Ather 450 launch time, when 4G was coming up, not many would have expected 3G to shut-down soon… (But I was sad for them choosing Vodafone, because they were the last 3G entrant and worst 3G operator in Bangalore)

We all speak in hindsight. But, Volte and Jio changed the landscape in India so soon… Even Airtel who were stubborn not to bring Volte were forced to bring it.

But, what was surprising and disappointing was that they took it lightly. Because, many have been pointing about 3G shut-down almost for an year… In fact, Airtel already officially announced 3G shutdown of few circles more than 8-9 months back…

And, even practically, the number of 3G towers were reducing across operators… If you had a 3G only phone, you must have faced serious detoriation in network quality for few months now. So, it was only a matter of time when they do, NOT if.

For some one, who could build Ather 450X with lot of internal changes quickly and surprised all of us, this 4G upgrade module should have been easier. They would have realised their miss regardless of whether they want to accept it or not.

Personally, I am okay to pay for 4G upgrade… But, this being an oversight from Ather, the cost should be subsidised by Ather even if it means a loss to them.

In terms of customer satisfaction, you over-delivered on first year and now if you reduce that for cutting costs, you are going to see :pensive: and :rage: faces.

9 Likes

@abhishek.balaji How much would be the estimate of this upgrade from 3g to 4g

And also

The subscription plans cost might change right because of this upgrade.

But I feel that price increase of the subscription plans need not be necessary as the 4g data plans are as low as 3g isn’t it since 3g is almost obsolete now

1 Like

I think the point which was tried to be made was rather than asking to pay for for just the 4g upgrade, you can offer an updated dashboard all together (not saying swap the 450x dashboard to 450 …but an upgraded dashboard for 450 altogether) with all the features mentioned like 4g, bluetooth, android and faster processor… would make for a much better deal for the upgrade (if at all they can price it correctly) rather than just expecting us to pay for an issue in the product within the warranty period.

Hope ather listens to their customers…

2 Likes

Just to give you an example about 5G and it’s infrastructure discussion!

This is not a comparison of a mobile phone to a scooter but just a suggestion to Ather Team about future proofing thier most successful product (Ather450)

I have a Google Nexus 5 which I purchased in 2014 (working like a charm till date) back then forget 4G but just 3G or 3.5G (H+) was just launched and running successfully!

But back then itself my device (Nexus5) supported 4G LTE and also had wireless charging (which not many so called high end phones have it even till date except iPhones and a few android devices)

What I’m trying to explain here is the solution which Ather comes up with should have future proofing for sure so that even if we had to shift over to 5G in the near future the same trouble should not occur again!

If phones can have provision for 5G ready today when 5G technology/spectrum is not yet functional then why not Ather come up with some long-term goal in a similar way to keep their loyal early adopters (customers) in a healthy relationship for years to come!

Even if this future proofing had us made to pay a nominal amount for it we would be happy to since it is once in a lifecycle upgrade to the vehicle!

@tarun @abhishek.balaji

Ather people should seriously consider this! RGT

7 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Ather One Subscription plans

Hey @Ather_Owner

We are rolling out our first resolution to the Vodafone 3G discontinuation. OTA update 4.2.2 will optimize the connected experience at slower network speeds. This will ensure that the most used connected features are less affected even on a 2G network.

Additionally, our teams have worked out a Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) for swapping the SIM cards from Vodafone to BSNL. Initially our teams were concerned about swapping SIM cards since it needs special test equipment to validate the sealing of the dashboards (we don’t open the dashboards to the PCB level in general service). Doing this would have meant a very long process of sending dashboards back to our supplier’s facilities and hours of labor and logistics cost. However, the engineering teams have come up with a work-around to this. We will need ~4 weeks to setup an efficient process and we should be ready by mid-Sept to start swapping SIM cards.

Rest assured, your dashboards are our responsibility and owners won’t be at risk in this changeover. (side bar: there is a learning here for our design teams. The integrated nature of the dashboard which made SIM-swaps so hard was not the right choice and will be addressed with the 450X and 450+ onwards)

The SIM swap to BSNL will be free of cost for owners, however to ensure we cover the SIM swap for all owners quickly, you’ll have to drop off your scooter at the service center and pick it up when the swap is done, just this once :slightly_smiling_face:. Alternatively we will do the change as part of your next scheduled service appointment ourselves.

Finally, development of the 4G upgrade module in the form of a dongle is on fast track mode now and under testing. Given automotive testing requirements it will still need 4 months for deployment but we will make sure that the community is kept abreast of updates.

The 3G discontinuation was not a complete surprise but yes, the timeline caught us a few months early. In acknowledgement of this, we will:

1. Reduce the cost of Ather Connect by 50% for all affected users, until the 4G dongle is ready. The discount (Rs. 125/month) will also be extended to other AtherOne subscription packs.
  2. Offer a discounted rate on the 4G dongle with Ather bearing a part of the cost. The dongle will be available at ~Rs.2500 + GST.

We are grateful to the community for your patience and want to ensure everybody that this is our highest priority currently

16 Likes

@abhishek.balaji

I was wondering, is it necessary to have a current Ather subscription plan ( atleast Ather connect plan) to be able to get this sim swap to BSNL. Or is it available to all Ather owners irrespective of them being on a subscription plan or not being on one.

2 Likes

Does it give owner a choice to use dongle of any service provider? If dongle mean regular USB dongle.

I think you should also explore solution like e-sim enabled dash where no need of physical sim just have a device which is 5g enabled issue soughted for next 10 years…

Secondly also think of charge station connected solution for people who don’t want to pay for hardware upgrade , It’s like if you want to upgrade connect to nearest charge station…

We’ll clarify this closer to when we work out the exact timelines for the swapping, but since slots will be limited, we’d first be prioritising for those who are using connectivity currently through one of the subscriptions.

3 Likes

No, there are various considerations for the upgrade module, including ensuring that the security aspects are retained. It won’t be your off-the-shelf dongle, but a custom solution that’s secured into the dashboard.

Cool, with this it gives an option to the customers. But on the long run, won’t it be better if the communication equipment, which is rapidly developing be placed in the storage unit or in the front leg shield, like a modular component, which can be easily removed, replaced, upgraded and repaired. As the communication field is rapidly developing even 4 months of time , will change the telecommunication sector . Instead , the modular idea , will give you an easier way out, by future proofing an already well built ride. Don’t make communications the Achilles heel of the ather scooters. Also making a custom SOP for this problem of sim swapping and waterproofing, feels like spending time in the wrong direction. Please consider a way to future proof existing ather 450s also, as the build quality is really good . With all things considered, I hope the team gets an out of the box idea to this problem. All the best to ather team.

8 Likes

Hey folks,

Compiling responses to questions posted here, and sharing some more information:

On discounts reflecting in the pricing for Ather One plans

By the end of the month, the discount should reflect in actual prices when you renew the subscription. But if you don’t want to wait till then, go ahead and renew and we will make sure that the credit reflects in your next invoice. If you have already renewed your subscription, the credit will reflect in the next invoice.

Is it necessary to have a current Ather One subscription plan to be able to get this sim swap? Or is it available to all ather owners irrespective of them being on a subscription plan or not being on one.

We thought long and hard about this - because to someone who’s not taken a subscription, the 2G connection might suffice just as well as a 3G or 4G connection. As an exception this time around, we will make it available to all users irrespective of whether they have bought into a subscription plan or not. However, we will prioritize users on subscription plans for the SIM swap.

BSNL 3G is poor across the country. So why not choose another network?

Given that 3G networks across operators are being sunset, 4G is our ideal recommended solution. However, in the interim, if users want a 3G option, BSNL officials have assured us that their 3G services are at least around for a while . That makes BSNL a good option within the 3G universe.

Will the dongle allow for easier SIM swaps later on, if the current 4G operator shuts down?

We’ve decided to go with e-SIMs for the 4G dongle. Technically , e-SIMs enable us to change operators without needing any physical interventions. However, today the operators do not support that, neither do the regulations mandate that they do. We hope that changes and when it does, we are ready from a hardware point of view. Also, The regulations are different for automotive use-cases and the process would be different from changing operators on your phone e-SIM.

11 Likes

Can you clarify a bit more on the e-SIMs? I understand that new 4G module will use e-SIM which will enable change of operators easily (later when the operator allows it).

But, right now when you integrate the 4G module, will you be using e-SIM or a regular SIM?

Also, will you still be going with Vodafone 4G or other operator like Airtel or Jio? Because, Vodafone / Idea may not be a good choice given their current situation… (So many people struggled to switch when Docomo and MTS shut-down because it was not automatic or seamless)

In the event Vodafone-Idea shuts-down, then you will again need to change the SIMs physically to another operator (assuming e-SIMs wont be operational that time also).

3 Likes

I took my Ather back to my hometown, so I’m up for doing the SIM swap myself. if I can have a 2-minute discussion with the tech team? Also, I think this is an excellent first step to let users do minor repairs instead of pick up and drop turnover time. I think I speak for many here when I say we love to be able to do minor repairs. If anything it brings us closer to our beloved 450 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Stop dreaming and wake up now! :slight_smile:

Jokes apart, I wish some day in future your dream comes true. But for now we have to drop the vehicle and pick it back ourselves for the SIM swap when it is available next month. As regards to people like you who have their scooters outside the coverage area of Ather, Personally, I’d suggest you skip the BSNL 3G SIM install get the 4G dongle directly (sometime in the next financial year).

3 Likes

Yeah… Vodafone 3G shutdown may not affect your circle as well.

1 Like

Ather is not particularly a very high voltage device, but i am sure the battery pack is enough to inflict severe burns. Other events that you may get into when opening a electronic package without supervision may include fires or shorting out your entire equipment stack. I have not seen an Ather repair manual else i would have recommended reading it first. I know opening stuff appears fun but somethings are best left untouched like screens on a mobile phone cannot be put back once assembly opened

Stay safe, hospitals nowadays are a corona mess to have capacity to handle your mess!

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for understanding customers voice

Can i get the answer for this doubt

Does the discount is provided till 3G Sim swap or upto 4G dongle upgrade (it is not compulsory)

2 Likes