Upgrading your Ather 450 to 4G LTE

Stop dreaming and wake up now! :slight_smile:

Jokes apart, I wish some day in future your dream comes true. But for now we have to drop the vehicle and pick it back ourselves for the SIM swap when it is available next month. As regards to people like you who have their scooters outside the coverage area of Ather, Personally, I’d suggest you skip the BSNL 3G SIM install get the 4G dongle directly (sometime in the next financial year).

3 Likes

Yeah… Vodafone 3G shutdown may not affect your circle as well.

1 Like

Ather is not particularly a very high voltage device, but i am sure the battery pack is enough to inflict severe burns. Other events that you may get into when opening a electronic package without supervision may include fires or shorting out your entire equipment stack. I have not seen an Ather repair manual else i would have recommended reading it first. I know opening stuff appears fun but somethings are best left untouched like screens on a mobile phone cannot be put back once assembly opened

Stay safe, hospitals nowadays are a corona mess to have capacity to handle your mess!

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for understanding customers voice

Can i get the answer for this doubt

Does the discount is provided till 3G Sim swap or upto 4G dongle upgrade (it is not compulsory)

2 Likes

I wish you hadn’t said that. Because I have replaced my iphone screen myself, I have opened an iphone 5 and Samsung Galaxy 6, and have also done, keyboard, ssd, nvme, ram replacements, Have reattached a panasonic ripped apart earphones (quite proud of this one; it was super difficult) and I have multimeter and tester.

2 Likes

With this comment, a few Ather employees just quit their job cos their job was so simple!!

A bit of intro: I am an engineer (one of the millions in this country), advising on pcb design. I honestly do not think i will be able to disassemble and put a custom designed assembly like the 450 back without the product specification document (Which on hindsight Ather should publish). I also love building my own stuff pc, racing drone, home automation. But what a wise man never does is poke a screwdriver in a hole in the wall

I can understand your position, you have a screwdriver kit and you are locked in your home watching JerryRigsEverything. Well even then there are ample safer things to open than a chassis that is weather sealed and electrically insulated

Lastly, i had to say that so that you never do what you said you want to do…maybe you said that in jest, but you never know when someone does something below human expectations

10 Likes

So people on Autovert plan, how will they be upgraded?

Hi heard about paying for the 4G upgrade and it does not make any sense as we have purchased a product and that too with an additional yearly AMC package over it, if any upgrade has to be provided to keep the functioning of the vechicle then it’s the responsibility of the company,it simply has to do it free of cost and in fact thank and opologise the customers for inconvenience caused,atlest all companies who intend to keep their goodwill intact would do so and automobile companies around the world have been doing so.

Just sugar coated mails with small credits don’t solve the problem.

On Chennai launch heard a lot about how the experience would be different from other automobile company,this is the time that will show if the company really stands for what it shows.

Remember you are talking about a product that is very much in the warranty period and with a cover of all parts AMC.Also remember this is just a product that’s 6 months old and not six years old where by the company can look for excuses.

Request the company to stand up tall and face the problem.Infact you have already degraded our purchase just in three months of purchase by launching a new upgrade.This is an opportunity to keep all your customer of 450 happy by giving a option of android after all these were your real sales persons.If you remember.

Regards Abhay bansal aabhaybansal@gmail.com

4 Likes

I don’t really want to be repeating the same thing that I had mentioned sometime back but to be clear about future-proofing a solid product in the industry (Ather450) the Ather Team should atleast consider a dongle with an e-sim support which also supports 5G bands of the near future so that we are not put into the same trouble that we are facing currently!!

Kindly consider this as a sincere plea from the proud existing customers like us!

@tarun @swapniljain @abhishek.balaji

Thanks in advance! RGT

3 Likes

Ather sold the Ather 450 to us as a 3G enabled connected scooter. While The closure of vodafone 3G should have been taken more seriously much sooner that it was, the fact is they sold us a 3 G enabled scooter and are offering to change the sim to BSNL at no cost. 4G upgrade is only optional. You can choose not to. While the cost of upgrading to 4G is debatable. I don’t think there’s anything wrong in them asking us to pay for the upgrade. We all expected this to happen when we bought the scooter. We were all told it was 3G.

The product was developed even before 2017 and came onto sale in late 2018. So please understand that. Again it was Ather’s mistake to not have sold us the scooter with a 4G modem, but we all knew what we bought.

13 Likes

how much thy charging ? as i want to know as i booked recently 450

If it is a new vehicle you are yet to get delivery of then you do not have to pay any money as your scooter will come with BSNL sim in it.

This is what I remember reading from Abhishek’s update.

1 Like

Vehicles delivered after Aug 15th 2020 or with VIN 4183 and more will have BSNL 3G SIM right from the factory itself. These vehicles will need no immediate action. Vehicles delivered before Aug 15th 2020 and with VIN 4182 and less will have Vodafone 3G SIM. SIM swap for these vehicles will be done free of cost (exact date not yet known). Till that date subscription cost will be reduced.

4G upgrade in the form of a dongle for all vehicles will be done at a later date. Dongle would cost ~2500 rupees.

I don’t know why Ather should give a 4G upgrade for free. No vehicle manufacturer will upgrade a vehicle to the facelifted version…how much ever new the older vehicle is. 3G is a different question and Ather is making the SIM swap.

4 Likes

Update for those under lease:

Autovert is also working on a mechanism to make the 4G upgrade for all lease customers easier. For those that opt-in for the upgrade, at the end of their lease term, Autovert will either reduce the retainer amount or increase the cash-back amount. The exact details and the amounts will be disclosed closer to the upgrade rollout date.

1 Like

My personal thought on this would be to wait till the prices for the 4G dongle for 450 is revealed. And then also check the additional cost from upgrading from 450 to 450X. If there is no much difference then upgrading to 450X would be a better choice.

The upgrade from 450 to 450x would be at least 10 times the cost of upgrading to the 4G hardware on the 450. :smiley:

3 Likes

From what I gather, I don’t think it’s going to be a direct “upgrade”. It’s going to be a bit smoother than selling your scooter and buying another one but, thats exactly what it is. Ather will find give us a quote for our scooter. And that will be subtracted from the price of the 450X so the upgrade won’t be less than 45,000 at the least.

1 Like

is this happening? I can swap my 450 for 450x?

1 Like

By swap, if you mean, sell your 450 and buy a 450X. No one can stop you from doing that. But @p.akhilesh3688 seemed to think it’ll just be an upgrade. Thats almost like owning an Activa 110Cc and asking for an upgrade to a 125cc activa. They still are 2 different vehicles, it’s not as simple as a swap.

4 Likes