Tips on how to get good range from your Ather 450X

Even a small throttle I see the Red halo around the range. As I mentioned earlier it comes as soon as I turn the throttle. Even at speed of 5 it’s visible. The size of the bar increases as I increase the throttle. But it’s always visible. There is no color change and it’s always Red.

Is there some problem with the scooter. I have never achieved true range, leave alone 100. May be @abhishek.balaji can throw more light on it. A pic of the dashboard would be helpful

3 Likes

Yes I have faced this too. When you face this again, try to decrease the speed gradually and you can see the red disappearing. Sometimes it disappears on its own when I maintain a constant speed. After it disappears, you can try to increase the speed gradually and maintain constant speed if possible. It always works for me. It is from this experience I got a hold on my riding at different modes and understood how different modes work and get a good range.

Whenever you need to increase the speed, do it gradually and not drastically.

I ride alone most of the times and its not possible for me to take pictures of the screen in actual riding. That is why I haven’t posted any pics to show the Red and Green I was talking about.

This is very sad. Try the tips once and see if they help, if not then as you said Ather Team needs to pitch in.

4 Likes

Whatever way you riders the dash shows the km which you can ride … but only ride stastics after finishing the rides that too not immediately after finishing your ride may be next day youcan admire your ride based on projected km. You can never see the projected kms altering on your ride based on your riding style as it will only reflect the true value programmed.

5 Likes

No need to wait for the ride statistics to be generated. You know how many KMs you rode with 100% charge at the start of the ride and the battery % you are left with after your ride. So you can easily get to know how many KMs you can get with 100% charge.

3 Likes

As an alternative you can try this. Reset one of the trip meters before any ride and after the ride it shows the efficiency of the ride immediately when you stop the vehicle. If you are having multiple stops (for example traffic signals) you can modify your throttling accordingly.

I usually reset Trip A at the start of everyday so that I get to know at what efficiency I’m riding each day.

8 Likes

Maybe I think there is difference how real-time efficiency indicator works as @saranyam.13891 is using 450. Me and @dhawalmistry using 450X.

This is how exactly it works for me too. The efficiency was never below 31 wh/km for me.

5 Likes

This is true with my 450 as well. When I ride my vehicle near my home for short distance in eco mode I hardly cross 20kmph speed covering less than 1km. The efficiency numbers are always above 31Wh/km for shorter rides for me.

I think it’s always better to check with rides greater than 3kms where you ride at mixed road conditions with effective use of different riding modes.

Also as @abhishek.balaji and @raghav.srinivasan mentioned check whether you have the right Tyre pressure. This seriously is an underrated factor. I have seen efficiency change numbers change from 24Wh/km to 35Wh/km with the same riding style but lesser Tyre pressure.

6 Likes

@yuvanathan you are correct. It must be because of scooter model.

450x doesn’t have colour changing halo for real-time efficiency. It is red only and the size increases as you increase the throttle.

@saranyam.13891, following your advise I got 81km projected range for my ride of 22km.

Hope to achieve it in reality too.

6 Likes

@abhishek.balaji

My small suggestion can you guys also work on stand by time of bike when it’s was switched off. I notice most of the battery drain happens after full charge, if I’m not using the bike for 6-8hrs.

6 Likes

Pls give us better gyan on tyre pressure for solo and pellion ride.

9 Likes

That’s great to hear :+1:, keep up the good riding style and you can get good range with all your rides. :v:

Doesn’t matter if you are riding solo or with pillion rider, just check the tyre pressure from time to time and maintain it according to the standards and you are good to go.

8 Likes

I usually maintain this for my 450:

30psi front and 30psi rear for single rider.

30psi front and 34psi rear for with pillion.

The recommended pressures are:

30psi front and 28psi rear for single rider.

30psi front and 32psi rear for with pillion.

8 Likes

For 450x tyre pressure is 30psi for both tyres with single rider. With pillion rear tyre pressure is 32psi

4 Likes

Thank you for the tips, I have achieved 100km range. :slight_smile: If you travel at speed of 40kms, easily we’ll get more than 100km range.

8 Likes

Great :ok_hand:t2:. Keep up with the same, you’ll learn to maintain this kinda efficiency even at higher speeds. :+1:t2:

7 Likes

That’s great! You can definitely achieve this with higher speed too if you maintain same riding style. Happy that my tips were useful. Happy flight :v:

3 Likes

I beg to differ with your finding in a small way. modes are nothing but electronically limited top speed + torque. I ride on ECO mode and torque is sluggish like i’m driving bajaj sunny. RIDE mode is normal, where as SPORTS mode gives you full potential of your 5.4KW motor with maximum controllable torque by motor controller (just not to burn/overheat it). “IF” we are driving in green(not red) halo, we will get more range for sure because it will be sedative driving. Modes do have control over your current consumption … but not in a way you explained (max. speed in particular mode). what abhishek explained is correct. I just want to say Range depends on how you ride and not on modes. + pillion + tyre pressure + misc. small params. I’m sorry if i sound harsh, this is purely my understanding. correct me if i’m wrong. :slight_smile: :peace_symbol:

5 Likes

I have explained based on my understanding and it works exactly like that for me. You can try riding at 50kmph in different modes and see the battery utilization. It should be as I have explained (explanation on max speed in particular mode). Let us know what you find. :v:

4 Likes

This thread has such valuable insights into ride modes and efficiency. I tried it out in Warp mode and was pretty impressed with the ride efficiency being 29Wh/km. Thanks @saranyam.13891 and @abhishek.balaji

5 Likes

That’s great! Keep up the good riding style and you can get this range with almost every ride. Happy to help, happy flight :v:

That’s great to hear, your bike’s range is increasing day by day :v: I hope you got the hang of your riding style now.

4 Likes