The Big Question! Is Ather planning a comeback?

You aren’t missing much, trust me. Accessing Android will ony make you sad that there’s nothing to tweak or exploit without toasting the tablet.

1 Like

Oh, you’re too used to premium software like Ather’s that stands out with the it’s futuristic, aggresive, opening spalshscreen/UI ? I’m jealous of how basic my 450+'s plain UI is.

Oh, I forgot, there’s that Bluetooth panel in the menu of the premium version. Ah, I keep seeing Athers stopping by the roadside fiddling with their brakes and menu to reboot and reconnect on Bluetooth. That premium air those scooters gave off, I’m envious.

Microsoft’s 365 plans of basic and premium versions make sense for their difference in price. But some lousy Bluetooth connectivity can get someone to actually call it premium? I keep forgetting about WARP mode in the “premium” version, that’s only literally available with seasonaly-tensioned belts I heard.

I think we need to stop being so harsh with arher! Ather is the first company to bring something so unique to India. All other late comers would have tested and compared with ather, to get an extra edge. Being early adopters why should we complain? We knew what we are getting while making the purchase decision? No automobile or manufacturer is perfect. Let newcomers prove their mettle first!

8 Likes

No no no no no no no. No one explained to me that I would have to be patient till the ends of the earth to get maps to work properly on my vehicle before I bought it. No one explained to me that I would get strange sounds every single day from my scooter. I’m not a Guinea pig that spent 1.6L to test a scooter out for a brand that’s trying to do their best. I don’t remember signing an agreement that said that I’m an early adopter, please absolve me of all the right I have to complain about a poorly built product.

The leeway we all are giving Ather is out of our own good will. Its not mandatory.

Also, Ather, by expanding into so many cities without the infrastructure or a stable product shot themselves in the foot. We cannot be called ‘early adopters’ anymore. By virtue of their marketing campaigns they can no longer be called a ‘small company’ all the allowances they can get from the good will of their customers is gone. The moment they put focus on expansion rather than firming up the product they already had, that’s the moment we all lost patience as well. The world is moving very fast. They have to keep up with the pace or we will talk about the ‘kodak’ of the ev industry

13 Likes

Precisely why I said this :slight_smile: :

3 Likes

Confession: I absolutely love my Ather 450. I reccomended them heartfully to many even when referral rewards are not there. I praise them in threads where it is due. I absolutely love the attitude of people like @abhishek.balaji & @Shreyas

So, when I or someone who criticizes Ather for some things, please understand and don’t assume it as rant.

If our praises are making you happy, you continue to do whatever things which got you the praise.

If we criticize you, then you have to make it better.

That’s all.

7 Likes

Absolutely.They are taking away the features that are nowadays a basic requirement and charging a subscription on that like (Access to Maps,IOT,Ride Statistics) etc.I believe they are trying to extract money for tiny features which are hardly noticeable.

Been one week since ather 450x delivered to me. Never expected an electric scooter to be so smooth. I can travel from one end of Bengaluru to another end (to and fro ) easily. I m completely satisfied with performance . My worry started when Ola and simple one launched. In every aspect those 2 knockout Ather ( atleast on paper as of now). Few things Ather can do to calm down its customers.

1. Make ather connect pro free for existing and future customers.
  2. Maps keeps crashing in middle of roads. Need to stop the vehicle and enter map again. Also indicator needs to be stopped manually. This is supposed to be automatic right. A stable fix for software much needed.
  3. Make TPMS free upgrade . Aren’t we paid for premium scooter. I got a survey for it to determine interest of buyer. I remember we paid for performance upgrade as a part of invoice .

Maps , TPMS are basic things for a scooter to be called “smart scooter”. Should hv included while buying vehicles instead of subscription.

2 Likes

I don’t see that coming maybe anytime sooner.

Reasons I understood. (I am no expert but this is purely on my understanding of the technology so correct me if wrong)

1. Under estimated RAM usage may not be a deliberate move but happened. This could be because of their plan for cloud computing and made a under estimation.

2. Maps available on our dashboard is not a native application which means they cannot work offline and Also because of above reason (low RAM they cannot process lot of API requests from dashboard processor). This leads to a lot of cloud usage and lot of queries sent to google server.

Google billing is structured such a way that it is charged per query based. Beyond certain no. of queries.

So if they annouce something as a knee jerk reaction that effects their finances a lot. So even if such decision comes out that is going to be at a later stage after lot of considerations and seeing the market impact and real world experience of competitors and mny other factors.

That is the reason I am ok with a minimal subscription charges but not for this software experience but rather for a stable and really ever improving softwate as advertised. Since they use cloud computing they can have lot of oppurtunities (again RAM is a bottle neck).

8 Likes

Revolt provides 8 years of battery warranty compared to 3 years from Ather. @abhishek.balaji your kind words why is that so ?

Exactly. I understand it’s unfair of us to demand a few things that were not promised to us when the 450x was launched but to not fulfill even the things that were promised, now that’s when people get livid.

1 Like

Ola and simple energy are going to kill ather…:frowning::cry:

3 Likes

No. Ather’s own complacency is going to kill Ather.

11 Likes

Its not only limited to features announced not coming up to 450X. Many 450 owners pointed out certain important issues and feature requests that can be implemented in 450X. For example the unsafe mirror, requirement of footrest comfortable for saree clad women, issues on auto-cut off of turn indicators (though improved now). These three are safety issues. Ather had ample time on their drawing boards. Non eof these three issues were addressed to in 450X. Its not only the speed and “WARP” mode that matters-Ather was focused only on these. Listen to what users have to say. Don’t treat 450 owners as BETA users just to collect ride data. addressing customers’ issues promptly will create great products.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: The Funny Side

Its the case with 450X as well. These Ather folks have this group called “FEATURES REQUEST” where people put out genuine requests as to what they want and guess what, it stays there and never goes into production. I mean Bluetooth was something which they showed as USP but was absent from the vehicle. If I was some lawyer I would have sued them for false information. But again, now they have real competition and I am pretty sure they are going to stay quiet as they are now and not do a thing about it. Only thing they do is flag posts as inappropriate and move the post from one category to another.

3 Likes

After a re-watch of suits, I thought we should file a class action or something against them in the consumer court :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

1 Like

Absolutely. I am sorrry I trusted these guys. Multiple issues with navigation just boils my blood (even post 10.1.6) … i better spend my energy on something else (like watching AI day highlights). I had enough with the so called Teslas of India… :crossed_fingers::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Yes , I am all up for it. Please.

No point? Let’s all demand just the market price of all the compromised components they’ve used and you can come back and tell Ather there’s NO POINT going down the already trodden path of asking for the full 1.6L on the scooter.

In fact, the trodden path of “But Ather doesn’t give us polished products yet” is the only point I care about as a consumer. I have no interest in empathizing and babysitting Ather with its business models and strategies.

As @maniashwin3003 says it right,

Man, it’s just a tool of transportation. If your sunglasses won’t barr UV radiation and prevent glare, I’d just throw them and buy one that’ll do as it says. I certainly wouldn’t entertain an empathizing conversation about the manufacturer’s business models and strategies. The company isn’t in it’s incubation period anymore.

I can assuredly say we can stop milking the “Ather is the forerunner of the EV industry and requires time to get their sh*t together” phrase.

5 Likes

Exactly. I’ve seen arguments like people were happy with it till ola and simple energy came out with their announcements. No. That’s not the case. People just reached their breaking point. There’s only a certain amount of patience you can have for something before you move on. It’s like watering a dead plant. Unfortunately this dead plant cost me and a lot of people 1.6L of our hard earned money. No one has the time to keep raising complaints every other day, keep stopping to reset maps or keep washing the scooter to make the noise go away. This isn’t some 800 year old antique that is supposed to be maintained with so much precision (as per Ather’s own words) call it a rant if you will. But everyone’s just tired. Initially everyone here wanted success for Ather. Now, we just don’t care what happens to you because you don’t care what happens to us.

4 Likes