The Big Question! Is Ather planning a comeback?

Guys! Guys! Ola and Simple have a remarkable price to specs ratio, but the scooters are yet to come to the roads, everyone here is simply judging Ather has lost the race based on what has not been tested and proven on-road by the customers.

Both the companies have promised IDC range with a * in it, meaning it is Indian Drive Cycle range, which is completely different from the actual range like Ather 450x which gives 116km true range. For more info refer: Electric Vehicles YouTube channel - 5 Secrets of Ola Electric Scooter - Warranty, Battery Cost?

This IDC range is for complete Ideal conditions which are definitely not practical, Ola S1 is not the direct performance competitor for 450X, if the IDC range is 121 km, then I would expect, based on the battery and motor specs provided, a maximum range of 80-90 km on Eco mode which is still less compared to the 450X.

As for the cost being overpriced, Ather was selling the 450 previously with a loss and so it is now compensating that or so I read. To compensate for the overpricing they are offering what no other competing EV scooter gives (yet), a resale value, both the Ather 450 plus and 450X have a buyback value which is a commendable offer from the company.

Time will only tell, there is no need to jump in with the conclusions, let the people cracking at this like a massive joke have a good time, the reality will speak for itself.

8 Likes

F.O.M.O is a real thing!.

It’s not Fear Of Missing Out. It’s F.O.G.I (Fear Of Getting It).

Ola S1 base variant has a more powerful motor, slightly bigger battery, much larger boot space, 3GB RAM, octa-core processor (most likely faster than the one in 450x), and comes with many features as standard than 450x for Rs 45,000 less. Even the high-end S1 Pro with a 30% bigger battery, top speed, features like cruise control, hill hold, etc… costs Rs 15,000 less. So, it’s obvious why so many people cancel their bookings.

F.O.M.O happened when Ather announced that they will be launching the 450x. Many existing 450 customers booked in anticipation of a much bigger battery and range, etc… for a slightly higher price. After the actual reveal and price announcement, many people cancelled their bookings.

At the same time, it’s premature for the people who already own 450 or 450x to sell their current vehicles. They should at least wait for the user feedback.

11 Likes

One correction: Buyback was lmited period offer. So, we cannot consider that as USP.

When the on-road price was 1.6 lac, buyback price was 85k. At 54%, a decent value.

After FAME 2 subsidy revision and additional subsidies, on-road price is 1.45 lac or lesser. Buyback @ 85k 60% of on-road price. Add state subsidies and buyback % goes up further.

Ather could have discontinued for few reasons.

1. 3 years is a long time for EV market. After 3 years, you may even get a new EV scooter @ 85k. So, to buy back a used vehicle for 85k does not make sense for Ather or any brand.

2. Technically, the price reduction was because of subsidy and not because of price cut. Ather still got full price for each vehice. But, allowing such high buyback price would backfire them as almost everyone will avail buyback after 3 years and get a new vehicle for free or paying little more. Because, you are open to buy any vehicle not just Ather branded one.

Personally, I feel that buyback was done for marketing purpose. Otherwise, Ather could have done buyback of all Ather 450 for 90k (which is just 1 years old) :smiley: during 450X launch

1 Like

Buyback is discontinued after the new FAME II subsidy. It is only valid for buyers who bought it before the newest revision in FAME II subsidy. So if you have bought ather after that there is no Buy Back option.

1 Like

Ather has to do a big upgrade/enhancement immediately to survive. Else the new comer will take over.

1. A portable battery with easy replacment for portable charging
  2. A range of 150KM ++. Knowing this is not an easy task to achieve.
1 Like

Hi, buyback is eligible for those who vehicle are invoiced on or before 31st July 2021. Fame 2 is not a matter.

Surely ola S1 pro will get a range 115-120 in real. 1kw we will get around 30km, we expect in simple 140-150 real range. In ola S1 is the same range as 450x 85-90.

As discussed with Ather senior Ather won’t launch any higher battery capacity scooter immediately, they focus on same capacity battery with new design and no 4g no Android dashboard, just with regular odo meter to target aged people price will be around 80k

4 Likes

Cool, so Ather has limited number of customers to take care for buyback.

2 Likes

That’s true, very limited customers can eligible for buyback program, I’m the one

1 Like

I always thought of replacing the battery pack on my Series 1 after 3-4 years, but now the assured buy back is my only choice :crossed_fingers: I never expected that the 450X will become irrelevant (not 100% though) in the electric scooter market so soon. Everyone who knows I own Series 1 started questioning my decision after Ola launch.

My only hope is Ather does’t decrease the value of the scooters showing silly reasons. They can always quote a lower price and justify the same with the terms and conditions.

3 Likes

Ola S1 pro will give 120 km range maximum in eco mode, why most of them thinking to sell 450x / series 1 for 30-40 km more range?

5 Likes

Not just the range, the overall software experience with Ather has been underwhelming. But also on the other hand, we don’t know how the same will pan out for Ola consumers. So pretty soon to sell your Ather. But, lot of them are sitting on the edge. :grinning:

This is one of most logical thoughts I’ve read here. The actual delivery of all thats claimed by Ola/Simple Energy is something to look for in the coming future. I’m sure no one at Ather will make any hasty comments/announcements just cos rival companies launched products, they’ll surely take their time and address these concerns most owners have. For now, I’d continue to enjoy my scooter, and not really worry about something which is yet to come on the roads.

I’ve had friends who been mocking Ather since the launch of Ola/Simple Energy, and one of them literally bought a Suzuki Burgman at 1,15,000INR 2 weeks ago. :man_shrugging:t2: So yeah, as you said, people are out on social media to troll for a living, and have absolutely nothing to do with the scenario, as most aren’t potential buyers/owners.

9 Likes

One other think that sticks out for me is the aggressive delivery timelines that Ola has promised. It will be impressive if they manage to start deliveries by October, but there are two reasons why I think they will just make a show of a few deliveries that month and stretch out the delivery dates for others:

1. The most critical issue is the global semiconductor chips shortage. The whole world is reeling under a massive shortage - especially the automotive sector - and considering the number of bookings Ola has got, it might be very difficult for them to lay their hands on such a huge shipment unless they have a killer contract & procurement team or are paying significantly higher than the rest of the market.

2. From what I have been able to discern, Ola is still ironing out many software issues and their final dash is actually far from ready. If they don’t wish to fight the same issues Ather is facing with bugs, they’ll probably need to spend more time testing. Of course, October is still 2 months away, so I guess they might have a plan in place to recover from the software development delays… Fingers crossed!

7 Likes

Oh they absolutely won’t. LOL. This never happened:

1 Like

Haha come on man. That was a typo in an email, not a launch announcement… Apples and oranges :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Not exactly apples and oranges. These people are paid to proofread stuff before blasting communications to hundreds if not thousands of people, and still flub a 50 word paragraph. That says a lot about how things work here.

PS: This particular instance involves actual money. All the more reason to be even more careful before shooting off emails.

2 Likes

Typical @blackworks response. I expected the same email as your reply :joy: :joy: . Won’t leave a single chance to vent your frustration out.

You cannot compare industrial grade and domestic purpose hardware in the same way. The devices you mentioned they work in a safe and static environment. Vehicle dashboards have to go through harsh environmental conditions. eg. My Ford Infotainment system has 256MB RAM, yet it works like charm. Even though it has less memory but it is made of industrial-grade quality. Even the price will be 2 -3 times higher compared to PC hardware.

1 Like

Hey! I paid good money for these chances. Will extract my money’s worth. :stuck_out_tongue:

You mean to say automotive grade electronics did not exist till now?

1 Like

Couldn’t disagree at the same time can’t agree too. Since the infotainment system you are talking mostly works on screen mirroring / I would say Bluetooth. But in case of Ather dash that is not the case, everything has to be either processed within the chipset or to be transferred to cloud server and get response. So RAM plays a major role. Also the softwate has to be lots and lots optimized.

1 Like