The Big Question! Is Ather planning a comeback?

I always thought of replacing the battery pack on my Series 1 after 3-4 years, but now the assured buy back is my only choice :crossed_fingers: I never expected that the 450X will become irrelevant (not 100% though) in the electric scooter market so soon. Everyone who knows I own Series 1 started questioning my decision after Ola launch.

My only hope is Ather does’t decrease the value of the scooters showing silly reasons. They can always quote a lower price and justify the same with the terms and conditions.

3 Likes

Ola S1 pro will give 120 km range maximum in eco mode, why most of them thinking to sell 450x / series 1 for 30-40 km more range?

5 Likes

Not just the range, the overall software experience with Ather has been underwhelming. But also on the other hand, we don’t know how the same will pan out for Ola consumers. So pretty soon to sell your Ather. But, lot of them are sitting on the edge. :grinning:

This is one of most logical thoughts I’ve read here. The actual delivery of all thats claimed by Ola/Simple Energy is something to look for in the coming future. I’m sure no one at Ather will make any hasty comments/announcements just cos rival companies launched products, they’ll surely take their time and address these concerns most owners have. For now, I’d continue to enjoy my scooter, and not really worry about something which is yet to come on the roads.

I’ve had friends who been mocking Ather since the launch of Ola/Simple Energy, and one of them literally bought a Suzuki Burgman at 1,15,000INR 2 weeks ago. :man_shrugging:t2: So yeah, as you said, people are out on social media to troll for a living, and have absolutely nothing to do with the scenario, as most aren’t potential buyers/owners.

9 Likes

One other think that sticks out for me is the aggressive delivery timelines that Ola has promised. It will be impressive if they manage to start deliveries by October, but there are two reasons why I think they will just make a show of a few deliveries that month and stretch out the delivery dates for others:

1. The most critical issue is the global semiconductor chips shortage. The whole world is reeling under a massive shortage - especially the automotive sector - and considering the number of bookings Ola has got, it might be very difficult for them to lay their hands on such a huge shipment unless they have a killer contract & procurement team or are paying significantly higher than the rest of the market.

2. From what I have been able to discern, Ola is still ironing out many software issues and their final dash is actually far from ready. If they don’t wish to fight the same issues Ather is facing with bugs, they’ll probably need to spend more time testing. Of course, October is still 2 months away, so I guess they might have a plan in place to recover from the software development delays… Fingers crossed!

7 Likes

Oh they absolutely won’t. LOL. This never happened:

1 Like

Haha come on man. That was a typo in an email, not a launch announcement… Apples and oranges :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Not exactly apples and oranges. These people are paid to proofread stuff before blasting communications to hundreds if not thousands of people, and still flub a 50 word paragraph. That says a lot about how things work here.

PS: This particular instance involves actual money. All the more reason to be even more careful before shooting off emails.

2 Likes

Typical @blackworks response. I expected the same email as your reply :joy: :joy: . Won’t leave a single chance to vent your frustration out.

You cannot compare industrial grade and domestic purpose hardware in the same way. The devices you mentioned they work in a safe and static environment. Vehicle dashboards have to go through harsh environmental conditions. eg. My Ford Infotainment system has 256MB RAM, yet it works like charm. Even though it has less memory but it is made of industrial-grade quality. Even the price will be 2 -3 times higher compared to PC hardware.

1 Like

Hey! I paid good money for these chances. Will extract my money’s worth. :stuck_out_tongue:

You mean to say automotive grade electronics did not exist till now?

1 Like

Couldn’t disagree at the same time can’t agree too. Since the infotainment system you are talking mostly works on screen mirroring / I would say Bluetooth. But in case of Ather dash that is not the case, everything has to be either processed within the chipset or to be transferred to cloud server and get response. So RAM plays a major role. Also the softwate has to be lots and lots optimized.

1 Like

They did, but as I said you cannot compare a home purpose device with a automotive grade device.

1 Like

Micromax (or whoever the supplier was) didn’t have a higher specced automotive tablet available at the time the 450X design was finalized? You reckon cost cutting has absolutely nothing to do with the decision to go for a gimped out tablet?

FYI, the updated tablets cost less than half of what the tablets in the 450 cost.

1 Like

Yeah, obviously. Why else would they struggle to give a lag-free, sufficiently cooled dashboard. Poor Ather had to build-up the dashboard from the ground up. Also, so they can exclude Bluetooth hardware for 450 plus models, or so they say.

1 Like

For the features loaded on dashboard, If one can optimize in one GB RAM, well and good. If that’s going to be a bottleneck no other option than higher memory.

Right now, it’s a bottleneck.

Google maintained that 1 GB ram is sufficient for Google one phones, 4 gb is enough for pixel phones.

But, things change. They realised regardless of how optimised your OS is: increased RAM is going to give better performance and experience. Now budget series comes with 6 GB and normal ones comes in with 8 GB.

3 Likes

Off the top of my head, here are all the things that are competing for that sliver of RAM as of now:

1. The OS itself that was last built in 2018
  2. A CAN bus subroutine with a high refrsh rate
  3. The display subroutine, also with a high refresh rate, and high graphics load
  4. Navigation, also with a high refresh rate and a high graphics load
  5. A Bluetooth listener
  6. An entire phone … and a whole bunch of other stuff that I haven’t paid attention to

You think things can be magically “optimized” to nicely share 1GB and leave room to spare for future addons?

3 Likes

Well, you can respond to the questioning people that nothing has been proven on-road yet.

You can take a lot of stuff on your leg space with Ather, even a kid, but Ola is a different story.

Firstly not true as of now features are just restricted via software between 450+ & 450X. They already mentioned this in a meet. Untill they see viability in making seperate manufacturing lineups both vehicles hold same hardware. We have proof from some owners regarding this too.

It was a bottleneck created by themselves by restricting many things and automotive softwares are not new it is just that they have to workout how to implement. Anyways even though if we agree it is done everything from scratch. They cannot just keep on holding back in fixing bugs even after 5 years of inception, 3years of first product & 1.5 years of the current product launch to fix this and mark all this 3 years consumers are paying for connect services. Value for money is expected.

2 Likes

However, they clearly saw viability in having two separate branches of software for two bike variants that they artificially and unnecessarily created. What kind of sense does that make?

I’m no match for the galaxy level IIx brains over there, but my limited mind tells me that a single software version on a single hardware platform is easier to maintain and eliminates the potential for bad optics like is happening now.

1 Like