Testing on Inclines

I’m from Laggere (near nagarbhavi) and there is this freakishly steep road which is the only way to get to my home. Sometimes i wonder if this bike even pulls with a pillion there.

2 Likes

Share coordinates? Will check it out.

9 Likes

https://goo.gl/maps/t9ZwVt8q62w

Appreciate it. Would love to hear back on this.

1 Like

There are steeper roads in Nagarabhavi and even some parts of Raja RajeshwariNagar. I had no issues with 2 people (total 160kgs) on the scooter. In fact it zooms past most petrol scooters in non Eco mode. Just be ready to lose 2x charge in such stretches though.

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing this with us @ashishsacharya, it’s clearly one of the steepest slopes we’ve seen in Bangalore.

We sent the 450 to be tested there. Ran multiple tests, with a single rider and 2 dual combinations with rider weights at a combined of 150 and 180 kg. The vehicle was able to climb the slope.

The total length of this stretch is 400m, with a steep portion of 100ft being an average of 11-13°. At its steepest point, which happens to be near the end of the slope it is about 15°. (Imagine a y= x^2 curve). Provides a good testing ground for us for the future! :slight_smile:

24 Likes

Tarun also check the Abbai Naidu Studio entrance road i think by far it is steepest

Thanks a lot for confirming on this @Shreyas . Really appreciate it. And 11° - 13° would be very accurate as I have checked it myself. The only other clarification I would need is if this would impact the range by much?

Thanks again :metal:

1 Like

Hi Shreyas,
What’s the max gradability that the 340 and 450 are designed for at GVW?

1 Like

In spec, it is mentioned as @10kmph, 18% for 450 and 15% for 340. I understand from the inaugural speech that these gradients are achieved after carrying two adults.

3 Likes

Wow, such a great gesture

Quick doubt. Why does it say that Ather 450 can carry 150KG max. My friend (105KG) and me 90KG went up a steep exit ramp(no idea on incline) for about 50 metres without the scooter dying, there was excess noise but the scooter seemed to take it without breaking a sweat. Also why is the max weight not rated as 200 when it easily pulls 200

1 Like

Because they know if they rate it at 150 we’ll use 200.
If they rate it at 200, people will end up using it as a tow for other vehicles.p

13 Likes

150Kgs is the limit on weight to have the same performance. You can carry additional load/people, but dont expect the scooter to run the same way. Have reliably cruised at 70-90 with two adults (150kg+) and a 40kg dog.

1 Like

I have used it as a tow vehicle, to tow another Ather 450.
It just used around 40wh/km instead of 35-37wh/km…

4 Likes

Factor of safety.

That’s one hilarious reply XD

Ather should reconsider their gradability rating.
Did this incline of 24 deg from a stand still on the incline with a 90kilo payload.

2 Likes

Bad way to measure grade. Use at least a two foot long inclinometer for a better reading. This will only give a very local reading of the slope. The average reading can’t be measured like this.

Pretty sure no vehicle can climb a 24 degree constant slope.

1 Like