Ownership Experience

Fan is depend on battery temperature and motor unit temperature… Nothing to do with charging…
Yes they switch on fan during charging it’s due to at lower battery voltage which consumes more current to charge so to be safer side they powering on fan to maintain temperature.

@97% yes it switch off or on but we really don’t know what’s the temperature @that time. If temp is more than switch on.
Usually >90% battery won’t take more current so temp also will be less

1 Like

so @Abhishek you could do 51 KMs overall. Out of which only 39 is sports mode. How will this explain the 55 KM true range in SPORT mode. Because the last 12 KMs was in ECO mode.
I was releived that people were achieving more than 70 in SPORTS mode with normal driving at 50-60 KMPh speeds. This creates a lot of anxiety

WAIT A SECOND. THAT’S A MIND BLOWING DISCOVERY!

So now we know true/actual range of any mode is not true at all. My whole Ather life was a lie :joy:

5 Likes

Just a thought…
considering everthing is algorithm based, why not build an algorithm, such that, if the destination is within range for existing drive mode, when battery SoC is close to 20%, then the it doesn’t switch to ECO mode at all and continues to be in the mode chosen by rider.

1 Like

How would the vehicle know the destination? A lot of people don’t use navigation for known routes as it doesn’t support real-time traffic updates. Ppl prefer to slip into gully shortcut the moment they see traffic piled up in front of them.

4 Likes

I faced a huge problem yesterday because of this automatic eco mode switch. I took the Orr and at the end of it I was left with 16% and I was 2Km from my house. This has happened to me before on the same road and ride mode was able to get me up the gradients (the one near laggere bridge) I have to climb to get to my house from the ORR. My scooter was stuck in eco mode and I had a gradient of maybe 12degrees. And with momentum it climbed. But the traffic made me stop and it would climb extremely slowly. This becomes a safety concern. I had vehicles behind me and my scooter wouldn’t move fast enough to keep up with traffic on the incline. I really think @Ather.Team has to look into such situations. For reference. It was this road -

Also what’s the gradability of the scooter in eco mode ? @Ather.Team

6 Likes

OH WOW. That road is a nightmare in ECO. You could have called me up. I would have pushed you through. Ather Team should have tried ECO on that road before pushing it to us.

2 Likes

It was climbing it definitely was but I was struggling for the speed to hit double digits. I made it through no harm done to anyone thankfully. And this wasn’t even peak traffic hours on that road.

1 Like

If I tried eco on that road, my speed would start decreasing drastically. Even a TVS would have overtaken me. :joy:

also would like to bring to your notice that only until first 22-24km full performance of the motor is observed after that response time is considerably low (max speed is not 90 anymore). since you noticed -i just want you to consider this as well - just in case you are looking for definition of ‘true’

true can never be true

as this is the first product and also it is less likely that many can go 55km with full throttle may be this is strategic compromise by Ather

mind you motor is not designed by Ather when they do for their next coming products they can learn from these and overcome the limitation’s. -hopefully

there is lots of scope for improvement on the motor alone

3 Likes

I am getting more than the true range of 55 in sports mode on my rides after the recent updates. I drive 43 kms approx daily in sports mode. Even after this I will be left with 23 - 24Kms range (40% of the battery left). And yes, I drive in the range of 55 - 65kms speed. I do have some issue with the app and it may be due to the network issues as I park my vehicle in the basement while charging in office. I am proud to ride ather as they have delivered me what they promised and its not so easy to get this done in this competitive market. I was able to drive in echo mode from manyata tech park to Nagrabhavi bda complex without any issues. @Ather.Team you guys are the best and continue to do it.

4 Likes

Got it, Thanks for the clarification. How much was your average speed through SPORTS mode.

Actually my daily commute to office is 25 max including both sides. But sometimes I need to go to Marathhalli and I stay at Vijayabank colony (Bannerghatta main road), which is around 18 KMs one side. Now, this is the part I am scared about. If it starts degrading performance after like 24 KMs then the entire return journey will be slow.

What happened suddenly, as people were getting around 70 KMs at decent speeds

@arjun569 this really helps now. I really want to own an Ather and also do my bit towards the environment as the cost factor isn’t very tempting, but not at the cost of loosing the very practical use cases.

Since my usage for the day is within 45kms. I use sports mode. In case if ur ride for the day exceeds more than this , i would use the ride mode as i can get more than 70km plus. Practically it depends upon how you accelerate during the ride and also the weigh on the vehicle. I did not check the average speed, but yes i was in the range of 55 -65 km speed. I feel that it would meet your ride requirement and you can got this bike. Hope i have answered your concern.

2 Likes

hey buddy appears this is turning into puzzle now

sorry about that

keep in mind am at full throttle al the time expect at 2 signals most of the time 85+ which is not possible in regular traffic

if you are cruising at 70+ in regular daily traffic which is ideal or may be even lesser you will never observe this lag except if it is continuous incline.

it all comes down to temperature of the motor

in a regular daily ride above is less likely to achieve, and shouldn’t be a problem at all

2 Likes

Thermal throttling guys. Thermal throttling is true.

1 Like

I do not see any reduction of fan noise while charging though , I generally charge in the mornings and never during nights which is very rare.
After the OTA I feel the noise has increased rather than decreased.

Thinking or downgrading to an older firmware , even though it has some bugs.
It was best suited for my riding pattern and usage.
Let me check for another week or so and decide.

1 Like

hey @santsplen, is there an option to downgrade ?

We can request the customer care or send email , they’ll push the downgrade , I remember earlier some one had done it during initial releases.

3 Likes

Today morning, new OTA got updated. Morning the charge was 77% and had to rush for work.Under sport mode, drove 13.5kms within 31min (8:13 to 8:44 am). I usually shut down the bike after reaching workplace.
While returning (at 7pm) the battery percentage shown was 51%. out of curiosity, i decided to ride the entire stretch (back home) under eco mode.

Took about 65mins and the battery percentage was at 34%.