Solar Charging

Can we use Ather Dot Charger on Solar Inverters?

1 Like

The inverter’s output capacity matters the most. Also, as here it is mentioned, it becomes very risky when the power goes:

I just got my vehicle delivered today will be setting up the dot charger over the weekend to work in tandem with my off grid solar inverter system, will post my experience of charging the ather with solar panels and inverters shortly. Standby for more updates from me.

9 Likes

Looking forward for your feedback. Thankyou.

Dear All, Further to provide update on my previous post, I was able to successfully charge my 450x via solar and inverter, the dot charger consumes some where in the range of 4.5 to 5 Amps current with around 800 Watts power, charge from 15% battery to 100% took around 4 Hours with around 3.8 Units of electricity. So any one planning to charge their 450x on solar and inverter you need atleast 1.5kw inverter and above exclusively for charging the vehicle. Do let me know if any more information is required from my side.

8 Likes

A unit of electricity is 1kWh. If it took 4 hours and 3.8 units, the average rate of charge(or power) should be 3.8kWh/4hrs = 950watts.

The usable battery capacity of the 450X should be 2.6kWh. Even considering losses, why is the consumption so high, at 3.8 units?

2 Likes

Hello Vinith I am just sharing across the approximate numbers here and not the exact values, the load on my inverter included some other house hold load as well not just the 450x alone, I will over the period of time do exact monitoring and share the standalone metrics. My this post was to give a shout out that charging via inverter and solar is possible with minimum inverter requirements being atleast 1.5 kw

6 Likes

Is it consuming 3.3 units for single charge.

It’s approx number from 15% charge level to 100%, when I really get a chance to drain out the battery completely that’s when I will get correct values.

1 Like

Ideally it shouldn’t consume more than 3 units as battery pack is 2.9 KWH when you charge 0 to 100%. The usable capacity in Ather 450X is 2.61 kWh. I am using solar power to charge my bike, however my system is 2.65 KW ongrid system (without a battery bank with import-export facility with dishcom) which generates around 350 units a month which powers my home load and charging of Ather. As per my reading I haven’t consumed more than 2 to 2.5 units depending upon the charge level. Most of the time I charged from 20% to 80%. Would surely like to know your inputs.

Thanks

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing the inputs Chetan, as I said the units number I have shared is only approximate and not actual number + it’s only for the first time I have charged after getting delivery, will share my numbers for second and consecutive charge cycles. Also I have added a seperate energy meter to the dot charger, so this time when I charge in the 450x i will get the actual units consumed along side the battery stats. I have a 6kw off grid solar system with 3kw inverter and 400Ah battery bank as my setup.

3 Likes

Hi Does anybody have an idea on the electrical specs of the Charger ?

Mainly the Peak watts and the sources requirement ? I am planning to connect the DOT charger to my Luminous solar inverter .
The idea is Ather will get charged by the inverter using solar so for my normal day use the 1 to 2 units can be easily supplied by the Regalia using 800 Watt solar panels

3 Likes

You can refer to this thread:

Try searching for posts on the forum, you will be able to find answers to most of your queries.

4 Likes

Thanks I saw the post earlier I was looking for official version of the specifications which seem to be missing on the Ather webpage or documentation . e.g. pf is not mentioned so Watt is not the real measure it is only active power reactive power plays a big part and also dictates the inrush current

Most chargers are either pf compensated or PWM for PWM charger it puts a bigger strain on inverter electronics as the fault level of inverter working in stand alone mode is very low . To put simply although normal AC is 1.5 KW a 2.5 KW inverter cannot handle the starting power . If you use an inverter air-conditioner which is soft start and Pf compensated even 1.5 KW inverter will work

same reason if you see above specs a 1500 VA inverter cannot handle 1 HP ( 750 Watt) pump motor

2 Likes

Connecting to Grid connected solar rooftop system during daytime will reduce power consumption from EB. And even smaller setup is enough since these inverters are not directly loaded.

1 Like

Ather charger efficiency mentioned in this article as 94 % hopefully they got it from ather officially

Ather DOT Launched at Rs 1800: Charge Your Ather Scooter at Home (bikeadvice.in)]

2 Likes

Thank you I am planning to use offgrid using islanded mode where the inverter disconnects from grid when fully charged and uses only solar plus internal battery . till battery drops to 20 % This type of installation does not require solar permit from electricity board as it is considered beyond the meter

For those interested this article although length goes into detail - Brochure-Off-Grid-backup-and-island-systems_EN_web.pdf (victronenergy.com)

1 Like

That’s really a nice system. If you haven’t finalized checkout this system as well

What if we are using hybrid solar system which will pass through the mains supply beyond its normal solar capabilities when load is high?!

@anil.ghatikar, to anwer your question on the surge of Ather Dot, please find the attached screenshot for Active and Reactive Power. My Home Active Idle Power : 200w Charge Start Time: 12:50PM Dot Power Consumption: between 700-750w You can notice the Active and Reactive power remains constant with charge cycle. Happy to give you more data.

2 Likes