Range of the Ather 450

So what about people who bough the vehicle thinking they can go atleast 60km, the fact is multiple owners say they get around 45km range in ECO mode is to low, already past the 70% SOC.

This is exactly what I was also thinking (the battery warranty) but you know what, its going to be very tricky to prove that a brand new battery is underperforming because of some product issue. Onus is going to be on the owner to follow up, justify and probably get a battery replacement. Not a good early adopter experience. It can very easily be shaved off onto the riding style. But since its the feedback coming from almost all the owners (the rare ones who have spoken so far), there must be a larger issue and not just the riding style. Haven’t heard anyone getting full claimed range yet.

Its really hard to digest the argument that the real world riding style is coming as a surprise and was not speculated. Appears that the range claims are just the lab stats. What exactly is the meaning of ‘True Range’? I believe Ather must address this and clarify with a more convincing reasoning immediately.

Awesome ride experience and product quality for a good cause BUT 45 Avg range for a price tag 1.3+ lakh - my anxiety level is already high. :thinking:

15 Likes

Clearly does not answer any of our fears regarding the range.
You have estimated the ‘real world range’ based on riding patterns of petrol scooters? What does that even mean? What does a petrol scooter have to do with your products range?
The question is simple. I don’t care if the present owners are loving the acceleration and popping wheelies.
What was the range you guys got during the testing phase?
What was the riding pattern used during the testing phase to reach the claimed figure of 75km?
Did you guys really do any range testing at all? To me it doesn’t seems so since you are now checking your algorithms.

You guys have a lot to answer. It’s one thing to keep us waiting because of your supplier issues which we can bear with. But it is a whole different scenario if one of the USP’s of the product is not as it seems.

12 Likes

I am equally concerned with the range, 40-45km is too low! Rather than speed, torque, I look for the range. I am known for economical driving habit (I get an average of 60kmpl in my Pulsar 150, and around 45km per charge in my Chinese EV).

Is Ather ready to give me a test vehicle to prove the true range?

If Ather is arguing saying that it is aggressive behaviour that is reducing the range, can it demonstrate on the same vehicle with its proven rider?

Without these assurances, I am thinking twice about whether I should really buy or drop.

12 Likes

We have got a lot of queries and apprehensions about the 450 range today. As Shreyas had mentioned, we had extrapolated the TrueRange numbers based on a certain ride behavior of consumers (derived from existing petrol scooter ride pattern) which is not how they are panning out. However, it will be wrong to conclude that all riders are getting a range of 40-45 km. The median range based on the limited rides is way higher. In fact, some owners continue to get a 75-77 km range. However, to explain this issue, we need to spend some time on

1. How was TrueRange derived (some of you have already pointed this out)
  2. Our approach on the two modes
  3. What assumptions we put in the forecasting an individual’s’ range (accurate range prediction) post ownership and what assumptions are not working in the short run
  4. Why it has got nothing to do with cells or the battery pack ( another concern someone raised here)
  5. What factors impact range and what’s the Indian Drive Cycle (IDC)?
  6. What issues are affecting the range of present owners, what’s the median, what’s their present ride durations?
  7. What are we doing about this, possible solutions and timelines?

We’ve been at this for more than a month now – understanding issues, trying alterations, working with present owners to understand their ride behavior. Thankfully our early owners have been super supportive and have helped us design some solutions. And instead of sharing a really long response and going back & forth on individual responses, we’d be happy to host all of you for an Open House at our office on 22nd, next Saturday. People who have been with us for long know how open and free flowing these sessions are and we look forward to this one too.

11 Likes

I would like to come to your office on 22nd Dec.
Please let us know about the timings and agenda.

3 Likes

Thank you for the quick response @Nilay.
Really appreciate it.
Looking forward to having an open discussion with you guys on these topics on the 22nd.

2 Likes

Appreciate your response… Plz let us knw time and place :blush:

2 Likes

Unfortunately I wont be in town to attend this meeting. Would be really grateful if one of you could draft a small minutes of the meeting in this forum.

Regards,
Sunil Narayanan

1 Like

Appreciate this open discussion. Please let us know Venue, Time and way to register.

1 Like

Please provide venue address and time details. Have working Saturday so need to plan accordingly.

1 Like

Hi Nilay,

I am planning to use it as my daily commute to office which is 20 kms away. so true range will come down if its not limited ride ?

Hey @anish.ts,

‘limited rides’ was in context to the limited number of rides and hence limited data based on the rides from the initial customers over the last few months.

1 Like

I think the only way to understand the true range is by accessing the riderprofile. After my test ride at Indiranagar EC, they have shown me an infographic visualization of the data collected during my short ride. It should help in understanding the riding style and correlate with the range.

Hi all,

We will do the Open House on range from 10 am to 12 pm on 22nd, December (Saturday) at our office in IBC Knowledge Park, Bannerghatta road. Me or Shreyas will share a form to RSVP for the session soon.

4 Likes

Hi Everyone,

Please fill out this form to RSVP for the Open House session on 22nd December.

We would love to host everyone who is interested but we have limited capacity at our place. So priority will be for owners and pre-order customers for this session.

4 Likes

Hi Shreyas…

Appreciate your efforts to discuss things openly… These acts do make us all feel belongingness to the Ather Family…I would love to attend the meeting…but unfortunately I am traveling to my native for the yearend vacations. This might be the case of many, so is it possible for you guys to host a webcast as well for the event.

Regards,
George.(Oder ID2248)

4 Likes

Ather Team,

I would not be able to be present physically, but i can try to join via skype/zoom/ or any other means via phone/web.
Let us know if this virtual room can be created.

Raghu.

5 Likes

Wait… according to what Tarun Mehta said. What is mentioned in black and white is what we provide. It’s says 75km/60km range on your website and every where else… Now you cannot say that oh the customers are using it at full power always so the range will obviously get decreased… didn’t you have good testers when you built the s450 ? Didn’t you test it at its full power and check the range ?

Let me know @Ather.Team if you need my help in testing the S450 at it max potential and spill out the true range… I can find out the least range that this product can deliver at its max potential easily…

1 Like