Range of the Ather 450

Actually not. The eco mode allows you most of the performance of the 450 except for the last mile of top speed and acceleration. It still rides faster than most petrol scooters. We expected consumers to alter ride behaviour to what you’ve defined as normal riding when in eco but that’s definitely not happening. Most riders are doing their rides in eco, including their aggressive ones. It’s something we are working on with some of the owners. Will give you an update soon. But normal traffic conditions like the one you have mentioned will give you a way higher range.

3 Likes

Hi

Just wondering if the word solution mean limiting the power/pickup to extend the range…
Hoping that’s not the case… as we will miss the fun part on the scooter.

Thanks

1 Like

+1, if the solution is just limiting the Amp draw to put curbs on acceleration, then its not called a solution, its a downgrade. Even in power mode the range was claimed to be 60km, which Ather owners are yet to see that, even in Eco mode. Whats the use of all the instant torque and then handicap it. Those cheap Chinese rebadged scooters made a bad rep for electric scooters with their poor acceleration, I sure hope that’s not the case here.

@Ather.Team
May be Ather should revisit the battery being used, switch to 21700 form factor of same capacity or higher capacity cells as the current 18650 cell but they can give atleast give 10 to 15amp additional per cell, so less voltage sag.
Not sure how you guys calculate the range, does it have a shunt or hall effect sensor to measure the amps , or is it relying on the voltage drop to gauge the battery capacity left.

3 Likes

What is definition of True Range according to @Ather.Team.

Can someone explain it here, the promised True Range is 75 KMs, why is there a variation in real life.

2 Likes

@Shreyas @Ather.Team
Yalla OK. Range kammi yakke :face_with_raised_eyebrow::thinking:

7 Likes

Can somebody run the scooter between 40-50 kmph after full charge, and let us know how much range you are getting :slight_smile:

2 Likes

yeah you will get more range if you drive in slow constant speeds and I too was under the impression that the wall socket charger will be given free but they said it will cost me extra 4k!

1 Like

being aggressive means what?

I was constantly speeding up… Irregular speeds and squeezing the brakes pretty hard n rinse repeat!

1 Like

If it was a petrol scooter, most probably tried not to revv past some kmph till 1000/1500 KM’s.

Do u mind testing range by not exceeding 40 kmph -
as this is very crucial for me to decide as Rs. 1.3 lac is quite a sum for me to spend (as there is no other option - for most of them as well)
it would be great if u can update on this ASAP

all these days i was thinking i can reach at least 100km if i choose to ride 40-50 kmph - seems - this might not be the situation -

later we may ask Ather to provide different profiles for different riding styles on Ather app!!

8 Likes

As per the riding pattern I have seen at Atherspace, riding between 40-50 kmph is most efficient. I was expecting around 80 Km range @ 40-50 kmph since ARAI certification is 107.

3 Likes

This is what I feared the most. If the range is between 40 - 50 then paying a Rs. 1.3 L is absolutely not justifiable. Paying nearly 40% premium above the tried and tested and yet getting a mediocre performance will be a real bummer!!

@AtherTeam you got a lot of questions to answer!

6 Likes

Speaking of that ARAI, if you look a the below article on real world fuel economy of cars vs ARAI. They say on average one should subtract 30% of the ARAI to get real world fuel economy. ARAI measurements are done indoors. With a fixed wind drag ratio. Real world have much higher wind speeds and they vary.

For two wheelers like scooters, wind can have a lot of effect on speed. So does the aerodynamic position of our body, lean forward you create lower air resistance.

Ather claimed mileage figures:

1. ARAI mileage: 107km on full charge
  2. Ather claimed real world mileage: 75km on full charge

That already considers the 30% reduction in claimed real world figures.
What is alarming is the actual figures coming from the owners based on their feedback. A further 30% reduction in mileage is terrible. Not to mention that these real drive mileage figures are based purely on brand new vehicles without any motor, belt & battery degradation.

@Ather.Team @subramanian.g @Shreyas. Can you guys please define under what riding conditions can we expect to achieve the claimed mileage of 75km on a full charge. What is the throttle input, how much braking etc. Are we supposed to crawl around at 20kmph to achieve this mileage? Just saying don’t be aggressive is not sufficient.

2 Likes

The 107 range number is based on the Indian Driving Cycle which Govt. agencies use, and is based on standard test parameters. Our range numbers are an extrapolation of the range the 450 gives based on the average of multiple users’ riding cycle and riding style data that we collected through petrol scooter users over the past couple of years. The range of 75 in eco mode and 60 in otherwise is based on this.

However, what we’ve noticed is, there is significant difference in how owners are riding the 450 vs a regular petrol scooter. Owners are loving the acceleration the 450 offers and hence really pushing their vehicles to much more than they would on a regular petrol scooter, which impacts the range.

These are fresh inputs and we are relooking at our algorithms and other vehicles parameters. We will keep you posted.

2 Likes

Shreyas,

With my interaction with your team till now, i’m given to understand that this range problem is seen/experienced only in 3 out of the first 10 vehicles. I do agree that this would have been a surprise to your team and they are looking into this issue and hopefully will find a solution. However, i’m surprised to hear that this was most probably caused due to riding style ?
I have pre-owned atleast 2 bikes, 2 scooters and 2 cars in my journey till now and i can fairly say that i have been following a mild/soft riding style - not accelerating more than required, not braking too much unnecessarily, regular keepup, etc. So, it’s really hard for me to digest that this issue might be related to the riding style!!!
Another thing which bothers me is that when i got my 450 delivered, the range showed 74kms. I rode 25kms to my home, took it for small rides over a week and when the range came down to 10kms (ODO was at 54kms), i charged it fully and the next thing i saw was the range showing 56kms even after a full charge. The next few charging cycles have resulted in range between 42 to 46 kms, ECO or NON-ECO.

Other than this issue, the 450 is a beauty and i’m enjoying my rides. I believe this would just be a hiccup and would get resolved at the earliest.

Raghu.

10 Likes

This clearly shows there is a issue, do note that atleast one or more of 10 customers are investors and I doubt you will be hearing from all of the customers in this forum.
The fact that you are not getting estimated range after the first cycle means that it could be a issue of incorrect range estimator or it could also mean that the cells life have dropped rapidly but they should have tested all of this before finalizing on the cells capacity and type. It could also be due to fake cells which the market is filled with.

If ather could tell use the cell make and model one can see the manufacture datasheet to find out the life of the cells and other characteristics such as amp draw vs battery capacity.

I ride scooty everyday to and fro covering over 26kms. I stay on road for around 2hours. Only for less than a kilometre I can cross 60kmph twice in the morning on regular days and during weekends and school holidays my one way travel time is less than 35mins. Few days a month I need to travel beyond 50kms per day.

On Sundays regular home needs on scooter.

Like any person in this forum or outside, I have been taught on conservation in all the possible subjects during schooling and have dreamt a little on doing a bit towards our lonely planet.

I have felt @ather.team’s products may help to fulfill the dreams.

I have booked 450 not to race in the traffic but to have better km per charge.

Hope my driving cycle gives me better average.

6 Likes

Guys, relax. Ather has battery warranty.
If getting less than 70% they should replace the battery.
@Ather.Team make sure that the production rate should not be affected due to replacing the batteries.