Online Owners Meet - June 2021

Thanks Ather Team for organising this regularly. It requires quite some effort, even if it is an online event. In Indian retail product, no one else does this and you continue to do for 2+ years is great. We hope we can meet soon once situation returns to normalcy.

To really add value to the time spent by both Ather team and 500+ (& growing attendees), I want to give my feedback on Q&A. I hope you are okay to take it positively.

Not just in today’s event, a trend seen in forum and events: There are subjects you avoid to answer even when repeatedly asked or gets top-voted. And, some times when you answer, it is very vague and it looks like you answered it just for the sake of answering it.

Let me give couple of examples:

OTA:

1. 450vs450x- is 450 of lesser interest these days? These days we hear less on 450 on OTA and feature enhancement
  2. What are the OTA plans for Ather 450?
  3. Will there be any more software improvements for 450s?

This question was asked because number of owners have highlighted about huge delay in OTAs. On this front, Ather had set huge hype right from the beginning and it was massively under-delivered.

No, it is not about the requests which are unfeasible. It is about huge delays & lack of roadmap. The number of features implemented in last 2 years were very few and far between. Last year has been mostly about bug fixes & missing feature rollout for 450X.

What was expected?

• A timeline of how many OTAs / how many features can be done in a year?
  • A road-map of what and when to expect. E.g. Charging Throttle & Offline Maps in Q2 2021. Hazard Lights & Auto-Theme in Q3 2021. Battery Drain Improvement & Navigation Delay in Q4 2021.
  • Select from the feature requests posted by owners and select based on votes and feasibility.

Answer: We really care about 450 and there will be few features & bug fixes every year. It is very vague and does not add any extra value to what we already knew.

Belt Noise:

1. When will noise issue will be resolved? it is not acceptable answer need to drive 2k -3K KM to get the belt adjusted, other belt drive vehicles don’t claim this.
  2. Can the motor noise be reduced ? Even after 1000 km + too much noise while riding the scooter.
  3. Belt Issue - What is it makes so unreliable to get exact belt tuning? Virginity of new scooter is gone once the scooter is given to the service with respect to belt. Every scooter is different. Hard to get satisfaction with this particular point even after many services.

These questions were asked because: depends on whom you speak with (customer care & service team) answer is somewhere from 250 kms to 1700 kms after which the sound reduces. Even in 2019, I was told 300 and then 700 but in reality, it became better somewhere around 1300 kms.

What was expected?

• What is the cause? Can you tune it better? Can you run it few 100 kms before delivery itself?
  • Why different answers?
  • Or: a clear No. it will be like that and cant do much for so & so reasons.

Answer: It will reduce after 250 kms. Even many people like the whee sound. If there is specific issue, we can definitely look into it.

Shut-down Bug:

Can you fix the shutdown bug for early batches of Ather 450? Just curious if we are okay to pay, how much would you charge us?

This question was asked by many over a period of time, because it is critical. Yes, we believe in Ather and its people. But, if it is a bug, it needs to be fixed. If it is a critical bug, it becomes even more important.

It never gets answered. Because, the answer what we all want to hear is: Ather will fix it (over a period of next 6 months or during their next scheduled service). You don’t answer it because of obvious reasons.

I think that’s enough as it is already a long post. I can give more examples, but that’s not needed. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Hey @tarun , Can we have the Ather charge subscription? I’m willing to pay just once in a quarter or once in year for the Grid usage(and also home charging reimbursement if it’s feasible) rather than using app for payment for every charge session at grid from September.

it will be so seamless and gives a great user experience

1 Like

It was there and has been removed for a valid reason. Because now grid usage is free, no use of such a plan. Once grid usage is made paid, this plan might come back.

Todays meet was like someone prepared it for a board meeting with only sales numbers missing and was everything in it

We where expecting a lot of questions yo be answered from this forum post which only few hand picked got selected. Others were just shattered the even in the last 30 mins they ignored the forum questions and it was so embarrassing

Here are a few points that I noted Might get side foot rest No roadmap yet for 450s not even one feature update they mentioned No roadmap yet for hazard light feature :pensive:

6 Likes

Exactly, I am willing to pay more. Just get us full functional & consistent google maps with chargers listed.

Wow. It looks like people are treating this scooter as a software. Looks like more sw features have become a liability now. I bought Ather as a two wheeler, and I m 100% satisfied with its performance as two wheeler after 2 years. I don’t even look at the dashboard (and recommend riders also). I have made peace with belt noise. As long as efficiency is not hampered. We think it’s a noise, but compared to ice engine it’s a whisper. Reading some comments here I feel ather should launch a no frills automobile without dashboard. I would love that.

11 Likes

Agree with you! I love my Ather too and have been very happy since 6 months. Seems like folks are becoming like a critic so they get attention by screaming loud all the time as they are allowed to post here whatever they want to. Thing is that they are taking themself apart from enjoying rides by doing this, why just not have fun with Ather as I guarantee there is no such competitor to rival Ather anytime soon, at least it’s guaranteed to be 2 years ahead of time than others. There is no hard feeling about any community member, but guys please support the Ather team who have worked so hard to bring out this one masterpiece. It’s a start-up aimed to fulfill the needs of the crowd like us who are enthusiasts to try something like this, let’s make it a big success with our contribution. Carry on Ather, we will make sure to spread our love to you by any means we can and happy to showcase it to others in our city as well give them a test ride as I have given a test ride to about 5 unknown people so far.

Thanks again team Ather :slight_smile:

15 Likes

I agree. They should just get rid of been trying to make the scooter “smart”. Not everyone can become Tesla after all. Yeah, but essential EV features are must which includes “smart charging” that enables start/stop charging remotely, set a charge limit & schedule charging. Peace :v:

5 Likes

Agreed! This may come eventually as it seems aligned to the software side. But the timeline for new feature updates is long with Ather so this won’t be coming any soon but we can continue being smart ourselves by that time as plenty of options are available for wifi smart plug nowadays which makes this part easy for us.

If Ather does well on anything even smallest of things, we would be among the first to appreciate them and feel proud.

If there is something we don’t like about it, we give our feedback. Why criticism is labelled as rant or publicity / attention seeking?

I order a Thali in a restaurant. If Sambar is good & Payasam is bad, it looks like I need to keep quiet about bad Payasam and think only about the good Sambar and thank the restaurant and even recommend others… :smiley:

7 Likes

I totally agree with Vishnu. If people are not ready to take constructive criticism and only seeking appreciations it won’t take much time the product to die. Also one who have similar mindset has to face this one day. Please take the criticism in right way and try to resolve the issues. There are many occasions where we have given lot of appreciation to Ather but when things are not going in right path way if we won’t point out we all will be responsible for downfall of the “superb product”.

3 Likes

Well… I have mixed feelings. On one hand I’m really happy that some of my questions were answered and there was an owners meet to even begin with. Again as a startup it is expected that you have to do such stuff to keep customers engaged. I truly believe that Ather can go places.

On the other hand, it seems like I’m still not getting what I paid for the ‘smart’ scooter. When you advertise something like maps etc. It should be top notch. It’s not like you roll something out and then keep bug fixing it till the next model of the vehicle comes along. Even in the core functions of the scooter, there seem to be bugs.

Ather trying to dismiss the issue saying “warp mode may feel less peppy compared to sport mode because we upgraded sport mode”. Come on. We weren’t born yesterday. We ride the scooter on a daily basis. We can feel the difference in the first 200 meters. I got the same tone on the follow up call from ather as well. “Do you feel it’s performance is less compared to sport mode”? NO. Why should I compare it to another mode? I know how warp mode performs. That’s literally why I paid so much and bought the vehicle. You think I wouldn’t know how it performed?

13 Likes

Exactly. I was pissed off too when they lied about warp mode performance.

4 Likes

Agree the dashboard is a nice and interesting addition However a basic mode/charge/range indication would also be great as many of us could switch into pure EV mode and not get too excited about dashboards however a better smartphone integration post ride would be great

Exactly I keep informing Ather about performance drop of warp mode since 10.0.3 update and upon each update the initial torque was reduced fewer by fewer and now there is not really 26nm of torque as mentioned, if someone who does a dyno run its clearly shows the torque is reduced and we never achieved the peack torque, with tyre pressure intact inside closed room.

However I keep trusting Atherenergy that they will address this issue and bring back warp mode as before.

Person experience, warp mode torque has reduced since 10.0.3 update.

5 Likes

I hope someone does a dyno test

1 Like

Ather is cheating all the customers by not delivering the performance as earlier. looting locked credits

No Instant pickup in Warp Mode. The only reason I purchased the vehicle for is Warp Mode.

1. In addition to this, 4 of My friends who booked vehicle through me are complaining about the cheating which Ather did. I’m the one getting blamed here (the Scapegoat)

Kindly look into this Issue on priority

4 Likes

Same problem with me and my friends who have booked with my referral code, am blamed for performance reduction of warp mode now.

Ather could have kept warp mode untouched and tuned other modes

because we paid 20k extra just for that performance of warp mode and for that performance which was during my purchase in my scooter.

Hope Ather would bring back the warp mode as it was performing before. Guess Ather won’t cheat customers just like that because they value our feedback hopefully.

7 Likes

Discussions details of Owners Meet held on 06th June 2021, Sunday

Below are my notes from my participation. I have not covered Q&A here.

New Developments at Ather

• Ather has opened new manufacturing plant in Hosur,TN Installed capacity: 110K units/annum for now Expandable to 400K units by 2023. This manufacturing plant has integrated battery pack manufacturing and production line.

• Ather has opened up many experience centre in different states/cities Bengaluru will have second experience centre which will have service facility too.

• Ather has also experience booths (test ride) in many malls in and around their presence city.

• As of today, Ather is present in 13 cities. Plans to come up in 9 cities soon

• Recent Awards which Ather 450 has won

• EV of the Year 2021 - Car N Bike
    • Scooter of the year,2021 - Car N Bike
    • Green 2W of the year,2021 - Autocar
    • 2W EV of the year,2021 - BBC Top Gear

Expansion Plans

Current cities:

1. Bangalore
  2. Chennai
  3. Hyderabad
  4. Pune
  5. Ahmedabad
  6. Mumbai
  7. Kochi
  8. Jaipur
  9. Delhi
  10. Coimbatore
  11. Trichy
  12. Mysore
  13. Hubli

Upcoming cities

1. Bangalore 2 -> By June
  2. Calicut
  3. Vizag
  4. Nashik
  5. Goa
  6. Indore
  7. Raipur
  8. Surat
  9. Kolkata
  10. Guwahati

Interesting Statistics

• Total Clocked distance: 37,000,000+ kms
  • Average speed of a rider: 20km/h
  • Percentage people who charge at home: 95%
  • Average Daily Distance of a rider: 15km
  • Mean Daily Distance: 14km(450); 17km (450x)
  • Owners who cover less than 50km: 99%(450), 96%(450x)
  • Average Speed: 20kmph(450), 19kmph(450x)
  • Owners who goes above >75kmph: 72%(450), 93% (450x)
  • Popular Chargers: 82% Home charging, 13% Portable, 5% Grid
  • Battery capacity of oldest scooter that is released so far: >90%, even after clocking 35000 Km
  • City which drives most on Warp Mode: Pune
  • City which drives most on Sport Mode: Pune
  • City which drives most on Ride Mode: Hyderabad
  • City which drives most on Eco Mode: Hyderabad
  • City which drives at highest average speed: Ahmedabad

Charging

• 131 locations across 18 cities
  • 100 locations are added in FY20-21
  • Brand partners: Park+, huber&holly, Cafe Coffee Day, Little Italy, Sangeetha,PPZ, Blue Tokai, The Chocolate Room

Updates on Accessories (according to priority)

• 3G to 4G Upgrade - immediately after lock down gets over
  • Portable Charger - gets 3 year warranty)
  • Translucent Panel - all ready, QC everything.
  • TPMS
  • Performance Tyres
  • Smart Helmet

Other things

• Ather Referral Program-Current leg ends on 16 June 21
  • Unlocked credits will remain in account
  • Ather Connect/Service is extended for 1 more month-extension to be added to account
  • Next OTA update - Theft and Low Detection
  • Bug fixes - frequently
  • Feature updates - few times a year
  • One feature update soon
  • App based features and improvements
  • For Connect Pro Subscribers - Introducing Ather Labs
16 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Translucent body panels