My review in Numbers-5000 Kms

Ather and others have to get efficacy reading right. EV’s “kitna data hai?” question should be resolved once and for all.

Ather has a 2.6kWh usable battery, if the efficiency is 27kms/kWh in sports mode then the mileage will be calculated 2.6kWh X 27kms = 70kms/full charge in sports mode. If your Nexon has a 30kWh usable battery then= 30kWhX7kms(assumed)= 196kms range on full charge.

In either case, it should be read as kms/KWh. By doing so it’s easy to compare with other EV’s. To read this as 34WH/KM or 80WH/KM might sound geeky but entirely impractical for common folks.

4 Likes

My ride got upgraded to 4G recently. It proudly displays 4G on top left corner now. This is India’s second scooter to get 4G technology (the first one was Activa 4G :joy: )

Interestingly the screen response has increased after the upgrade, although it was merely a dongle swap I suspect the installation engineer has cleared some cache memory which might have improved the response. Overall happy with my paid upgrade :+1:

1 Like

How much did you pay for this upgrade?

2 Likes

Rs.2,950. The technician dropped by home around 10.30 and left an hour later.

1 Like

I was wondering if Ather IT team could consider a sort of Tachometer instead of the red colour that appears above and below the range left. This would help many to maintain efficiency between 25 to 29 for maximum range on one charge.

The fact that the throttle hand gets used to the optimal range is a different story.

NOTE: does anyone know how to screen record the bike screen…

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Mirror ball joint issue

Finally, Ather has listened to my prayers and replaced <<< mirror design with >>> design. Since I am on lease I might go for the 450 X Gen 3 in January. Any idea what’s the waiting period these days?

1 Like

So what if you buy your scooter on lease you will get gen 3 by giving gen 2 or what :flushed::flushed:

No in lease model you can opt to either keep the vehicle by paying minimal amount based on deposit payed or give back the vehicle and get your refundable amount back.

But IMO if we return the vehicle it is a loss. Instead own the vehicle and sell it off line if you don’t want it will give you more benefit.

Since you took on lease the vehicle subsidy is not exhausted on your name assuming this is your 1st ev.

In any case we have to purchase new Gen3 exchange is not possible.

1 Like

The overall scenario is a loss. However, I don’t think my Gen 1 450 is sustainable for another 2-3 years without a battery replacement. After that, it might last for another 3-4 years max. The software updates have almost stopped and there is a big persistent screen lag now. I think it would be better to go with 450X Gen 3 model now than to pay 60k for a replacement battery with primitive design 2 years down the line.

1 Like

Majority of the Gen 1 users have their battery health around 90%. Majority of them would not look for battery replacement unless their battery health goes 60-70%, which is at least 1-2 years.

If someone replaces battery, the vehicle can continue to run for next 4-5 years before battery replacement.

Current software features should continue to run the same way even after 5 years also. Yes, we can forget any new software except for bug fixes and very minimal dependency from hardware (e.g. Charging threshold)

Technically, unless Ather says no service / spare support, this vehicle can run after 10 years also… just like many other ICE vehicles. By that time, 3rd party spares would pop up. So, disposing is at our will :smiley:

3 Likes

As someone who belongs to large-scale manufacturing industry. I have 2 concerns in continuing with my Gen 1 450 beyond 2025.

1. Volume of active First gen 450’s on road 3 years from now. 450 made some good numbers in sales when it was initially launched but compare that to the volume of 450X being sold now the ratio is dwindling. Also one must note that 450 models are hardly present anywhere except in Bangalore and Chennai. So 3 years down the line there will be only 5 450 for every 100 450X on road. Providing software and battery support to such a low volume of 450 models might be a cumbersome task and not a top priority In Ather’s future plans.
  2. FAME-II Subsidy: Rs.55,000/- is being paid by Govt of India on behalf of the purchaser to Ather for every 450X sold. This is being done under the assumption that Li-ion prices are going to come down and the subsidy prices can be gradually withdrawn. But looking into the graph the fall of Li-ion prices has virtually stopped, if govt decide to withdraw the subsidy in the future then 450X will cost 2.1 Lakhs on road.

Apart from the above 2 concerns, it’s also true that technology has moved on ahead. TPMS, new mirror design, bigger battery, better range,google maps (hope it shows traffic).

2 Likes

I don’t expect any updates to 450. If we get anything, it would be a bonus. Ather would surely be working on long term idea on battery replacement.

Subsidy is linked to bridge the price gap between ICE and EV because of high cost battery pack. As long as Govt. wants to promote EV, they would continue with subsidy. The amount / conditions may vary, but likely to continue unless Lithium Ion price comes down.

2 Likes

I have completed 20k this month, and I have a question to all Ather owners who have completed 18k+.

Have you observed this sort of difference in wear and tear between your front and rare tyres? My rare tyre is almost bald and I am not convinced this is mine. I have a theory about how this might have happened but not going to say anything as of now.
Left Pic: Front Tyre, Right Pic: Rare Tyre.

1 Like

Yes usually rear tyre wear out faster , it’s the case with all two wheelers as all the traction is applied on rear wheel

2 Likes

Adding in the higher torque since Ather is an EV and then :zap: too. More work on the rear tyres.

7 Likes

Thanks for all the replies, higher wear and tear due to higher torque directly onto the rear tyre makes sense. We must also factor in extra weight due to battery in EV’s. Somehow I do feel that the difference shouldn’t be this much.

I am not getting a proper grip, especially on rainy days, will change the tyre ASAP.

1 Like

There’s something called tyre wear indicators (twi) on the tyre that shows if the tyre is safe to ride. Check on the front one. You saying there’s no grip is starkly obvious because THERE’S NO GRIP even!

Please ride safe and change your tyres two months back from today.

Additional benefits:

1. Safer riding and braking
  2. Avoid huge hospital bills and waste of time and health
  3. Reduce risk of harm and even death to rider or passers by
  4. Avoid police fine
  5. Avoid insurance rejection in case of an accident
  6. Peace of mind
  7. Better riding
4 Likes

Thanks for all the replies, however, I would like to see some pics of tyres post 18k before drawing a conclusion.

1 Like

I’ve done about 17,800kms. There is a small difference in tyre wear. Not as much as yours, but the back tyre is definitely more worn out than the front.

Back tyre on top, front below: (Excuse the dirty tyres)

Have you been riding with lesser than recommended tyre pressure often?