My review in numbers:
There have been so many reviews in this forum that mine is bound to go unnoticed. So I shall keep my review short, this might also help someone who’s sitting on a fence.
Rider profile: 5’4, 72 Kgs.
Commute: 30 km round trip (Home-Office-Home) 6 days a week + Grocery and weekend beats with my toddler son.
Average monthly commute: 680kms/Month. (From 2016 for any commute above 20kms I prefer the safety of my car)
My previous ride-
2014 Yamaha FZ, Mileage- 35km/Litre. Was a bit expensive to maintain. But overall ride quality was great for a city commute.
Bought on 27-01-2020.
Present ODO- 5200 km
• Mode of ownership: Lease
• Cost of ownership after 3 years.
Rs.1,68,204. This includes annual subscription charges of Ather one Service.
• Ride mode- S-Mode most of the time.
• Average Range 72 in S mode
• Average consumption- 33Wh/km. Usually starts with 85% and ends up at 40%. That’s 45% Charge for 30km commute. • Daily battery charge- Will top-up up to 85-90%. (Remember the 101 of Battery chemistry- A battery stays happy between 30-80%) • Charge timings 7.30 pm- 9 pm. • Bescom charges- I have a separate meter board for my common lighting area. I used to get Rs.125 monthly bill, that has increased to Rs.220 per month post-Ather. So approximately I am paying 90-100 rupees for 680 km per month.
Major issues faced to date- • M019 error. That was hell but It was quickly rectified by Ather’s service team. • Indicator auto cut off- Works once in a blue moon. • Mirror- 1/10. Good for admiring elbows. Totally useless and a safety hazard.
What I liked.
• Build quality.
• Instantaneous acceleration.
• Ride quality in the segment.
• Boot space.
• Multi-information display.
• No need to visit a petrol station.
• Ather App and forum interaction.
• Idiotic riders are aplenty in our city. Dual disk brakes have saved my life more than once.
What I didn’t like.
• Sound/Noise- Loud noise along with occasional vibration below 25km/hr speed. Scares the dogs, kids, and everyone alike.
• Headlights- Is only good on pitch-black roads. • Mirrors- The less said the better.
Overall Ather 450 is a perfect ride for Dad-bod salaried person like me. It takes care of my daily commute as well as weekend shopping requirements.
There was a time when I used to spot 1 Ather per week. That has increased to 3 different bikes per day. Among all the 2 wheelers out there Ather is the most unique one to ride. The wheee noise is definitely unmissable even when I am sitting in my office. I give my bike an 8/10 and would advise anyone to go for it if your daily commute is within 50kms/Day.