My review in Numbers-5000 Kms

My review in numbers:

There have been so many reviews in this forum that mine is bound to go unnoticed. So I shall keep my review short, this might also help someone who’s sitting on a fence.

Rider profile: 5’4, 72 Kgs.

Commute: 30 km round trip (Home-Office-Home) 6 days a week + Grocery and weekend beats with my toddler son.

Average monthly commute: 680kms/Month. (From 2016 for any commute above 20kms I prefer the safety of my car)

My previous ride-

2014 Yamaha FZ, Mileage- 35km/Litre. Was a bit expensive to maintain. But overall ride quality was great for a city commute.

Ather 450. Bought on 27-01-2020. Present ODO- 5200 km • Mode of ownership: Lease • Cost of ownership after 3 years. Rs.1,68,204. This includes annual subscription charges of Ather one Service.
• Ride mode- S-Mode most of the time.
• Average Range 72 in S mode

• Average consumption- 33Wh/km. Usually starts with 85% and ends up at 40%. That’s 45% Charge for 30km commute. • Daily battery charge- Will top-up up to 85-90%. (Remember the 101 of Battery chemistry- A battery stays happy between 30-80%) • Charge timings 7.30 pm- 9 pm. • Bescom charges- I have a separate meter board for my common lighting area. I used to get Rs.125 monthly bill, that has increased to Rs.220 per month post-Ather. So approximately I am paying 90-100 rupees for 680 km per month.

Major issues faced to date- • M019 error. That was hell but It was quickly rectified by Ather’s service team. • Indicator auto cut off- Works once in a blue moon. • Mirror- 1/10. Good for admiring elbows. Totally useless and a safety hazard.

What I liked.

• Build quality. • Instantaneous acceleration. • Ride quality in the segment. • Boot space. • Multi-information display. • No need to visit a petrol station. • Ather App and forum interaction.
• Idiotic riders are aplenty in our city. Dual disk brakes have saved my life more than once.

What I didn’t like.

• Sound/Noise- Loud noise along with occasional vibration below 25km/hr speed. Scares the dogs, kids, and everyone alike.
• Headlights- Is only good on pitch-black roads. • Mirrors- The less said the better.

Overall Ather 450 is a perfect ride for Dad-bod salaried person like me. It takes care of my daily commute as well as weekend shopping requirements.

There was a time when I used to spot 1 Ather per week. That has increased to 3 different bikes per day. Among all the 2 wheelers out there Ather is the most unique one to ride. The wheee noise is definitely unmissable even when I am sitting in my office. I give my bike an 8/10 and would advise anyone to go for it if your daily commute is within 50kms/Day.

39 Likes

Can’t disagree with this :joy:

I thought the problem only existed for people at around 6 ft like me. Looks like this is a universal issue! Very surprised Ather chose to continue with this mirror design even after consistent feedback on it.

15 Likes

Nice and Practical review. I have same kind of riding pattern.

It helps me a lot for my up-comming 450x . :hatching_chick::hatching_chick::hatching_chick::hatching_chick:

9 Likes

It seams these type mirrors are provided to improve the overall aesthetics.

If at all there’s a apocalypse in future and there’s a need to participate in a death race to survive we need to avoid these mirrors at all costs.

Sometimes I can’t make out if the vehicle behind me is a car or a bike. I am trying to listen to the traffic behind me these days.

2 Likes

Welcome aboard! You will love it.

It’s feels as if you are riding a big hair dryer for the first 1000kms. You will get used to it.

6 Likes

Same experience I had on 450x ride, can’t see anything, even if I squeeze my hands

7 Likes

Nice and simple review… Its 1 month since i am using My Ather 450x.

I have clocked 1300kms… I wish and hope some decent on road range of atleast 130kms is worked out before end of 2021.

I am surprised ur review has not been seen by much…You get 100 out of 100😀 @akshaydg

3 Likes

1300 on the very first month!! That’s a crazy number. Good luck with your long ride plans, with a portable charger in the boot, long rides are a possibility.

5 Likes

Update I have crossed 13,200kms. It has not been a smooth sail though. Issues faced this year.

1. 10k routine service turned into a almost 11.5k service due to lack of service slots.
  2. Routine service turned into a nightmare, was without my ride for almost 7-8 days.
  3. Recently the right mirror lost it’s tension and it’s kind of oscillates with it’s direction dictated by potholes. I have disassembled the mirror assembly and re assembled it many times with no luck. 4.I am a service pro + connect pro member, but not able to view any recent ride logs.
8 Likes

Beautiful review. I can relate to the most of it. Except for the mirrors part. Took me a week to realise the mirror arm can be moved with two hands and a lil pressure, just like you would move it on a Yamaha R-15 . The head only moves on x- axis which pretty much helps to get quite a lot of vision.

Bought the 450x a month ago, clocked 1100kms. Been a wonderful ride every single day. Looking forward for a lil software improvements in the Ather app- faster Ride stats sync and smoother GPS live tracking- If my 450x is stolen I’d like to see where it is being taken and not get myself surprised seeing it jump kilometres every few minutes.

The rest of the scooter is unmatchable- Power, joy, and the comfort it provides.

7 Likes

I am 5’2" same here. It’s not adjustable to a good angle. Some weird angles to look at your own shoulder.The screen just shuts off when parked in sun. Sometimes the screen just shuts off because it felt like. And I ride less than 30km a day and charge is once a week as per my travel distance…so am no way stressing it The indicator sound stopped even though it shows ON on the dashboard. Soooo many software problems! I have no idea what the hell is happening. And after the rains in Bangalore if I fall into a 4-6 inch ditch, the bike makes such loud noise that I feel like the battery might burst from leakage or this bike might be a hazard. That noise is scaaaary! It’s not like the loud hum it does on low speed. It’s waayy more loud and am like…tera toh exhaust bhi nahi hai… tere kaha ghusa paani???(you don’t have an exhaust, why do you make a sound like you got water in!??) Great suspension, handling, boot space and acceleration. Agreed. That’s all the pros. Nothing else.

5 Likes

Doesn’t sound normal. Do you have a recording of this by any chance?

1 Like

The mirrors are still a mystery to me, I have 2 set of problems.

1. No matter which position I move the mirror to the view is insufficient. Regular mirrors start from the dashboard and ‘bloom’ towards the edge >-----<. Ather’s mirror design is exactly the opposite, they end’s abruptly at the edge like this <----->. I have to compensate for this by adding blind mirrors at the end.
  2. The right mirror has lost its tension, every time I step on a pothole it sort of drops it’s head and it’s so annoying to re-adjust it back to its place while on the move.
3 Likes

No but the pickup service employees said yesterday, ‘yeah that happens’. My screen also shuts off once every day or so. When you try to send location to scooter, that takes like 20 min coz until I do it 4-5 times, it doesn’t happen. Indicator blink sound is on but my bike felt like so it suddenly gave up making absolutely any sounds except that loud Woo in 1/2 feet of water. Till date the navigation has never worked without fail. I got lost in Bangalores confusing lanes because it either won’t show direction or will often not load for 100s of metres. And when it rains, bhagwan bacahye tumko. I mean as an electric scooter I love it, but the software has so much problems it’s not worth it at all. Especially if I’ve to still use my phone’s navigation to get around… Feels like a solvable problem not solved intentionally. Now only they can answer why I should pay 2500 more for a sim swap that does not work either way. So physical design is great, that technology hype is all for nothing. I am up to date with technology so I know how they used outdated connection on a “new world bike” In this price we should not be getting this kind of software bugs. Rather buy a 40k electric scooter if I cannot use navigation anyway. Become speed and acceleration are my least concern looking at Bangalore’s roads right now. I don’t think till now I have had a moment where I thought wow, I love their screen nav or interface. Nope. Didn’t happen.

4 Likes

1300 km in a month. Where do you ride so much?

1 Like

Moved from 4 wheels to Ather… And i use the Ather where ever it can take me to return home.

4 Likes

I would buy a dumb Ather under 80k with my eyes closed. At the end of the second year, I have realized that:

1. I have used the Map only twice.
  2. Don’t check on the ride stats more often.
  3. More concerned about mileage. 4)OTA updates have reached a saturation point for the old 450 (There might be room for improvement for 450X though).
9 Likes

Update: The boot lock broke off. Contacted service for some quick repair and came to know that the right mirror has also broken off (as suspected earlier). Since I was in Service Pro plan bike was picked on Friday and both issues were sorted out by Sunday.

Kudos to Ather’s service team, credit where’s it’s due.

3 Likes

So service pro plan is a must to get timely service

3 Likes

Actually, Service Pro plan has nothing to do with the timely service. If there are no pickup slots available (which was often the case), you have to wait.

Unless, they have scaled up the number of pickup riders & service team very recently…

4 Likes