Introducing Series 1 - the Ather 450X Collector's edition

If you were to compare an ICE to the 450X, it should be compared to a vespa vxl 150 cc/sxl 150 cc. Even though the mileage of these scooters goes bad almost 1 year after using it, these scooters are extremely powerful and the sxl is very easy to handle because vespa uses a full steel monocoque body.

Have you considered frequency of service and Service costs? 500kms vs 5000kms? And ofc the resale value since the vehicle is likely to be in much better shape than an ICE due to fewer moving parts? And in the end on battery replacement in about 5 years, the vehicle fully gets back it’s range - maybe even much more because of new battery tech. No ICE can do that🙂

I call them comparable because I feel the total cost of ownership of these vehicles is almost the same although you’re paying for a completely different experience. That said in a vespa, you pay for ICE power and design. But for an Ather you pay for sustainable design & power and technology.

Vespa recently introduced fuel injection which is found in cars, into its vehicles. So it’s looking for a competition. Also, there are many safety factors.

During the pandemic, news about bikes being stolen has become more and more common. Vespas can’t be stolen simply because of its weird locking system. If the bike’s handle is broken, the handle and wheel will be completely out of sync.

Vespas are also extremely sturdy in the event of a crash. Even Ather is too. Of course, it depends on the type of accident. Hopefully, none of us get to experience such scary situations.

1 Like

Do you want to say there won’t be wear and tear in EV Engines… The will also become depreciate with time…

No, am saying that wear and tear issues are likely to be lesser for the same reason that maintenance costs are lesser in a EV due to fewer moving parts. Which makes resale at a reasonable cost more likelier too.

Apparently my neighbour’s 10yr old Yo Byke is still working perfectly fine with just 2 battery changes and minor external repairs like seat cover & tyre replacements. Whereas my 5yr old Discover 125 is becoming very costly on maintainance with major engine problems. And I see this Yo Byke owner using his vehicle like a transport vehicle to carry goods between his stockroom and his store. So yes, EV’s are expected retain way more value than ICEs.

1 Like

Even TVS XL at 45-50k gets fuel injection now. And bikes have had fuel injection for years now.

And yet no ABS. One area where Ather could have crushed everyone else. But anyway

It isn’t fair to compare Ather to a vespa, Aprillia, 125cc scooters like Ntorq. They’re 2 diff categories. Ather forms a new category. The 450X from a financial point of view, won’t make sense to the majority of the market. It’s a premium you pay to own a premium scooter. Can you compare a Mahindra Thar and JEEP wrangler? Both are supposedly the same segment and do what they’re meant to but cost is about 60lakhs apart. But remember we’re still early into EVs and it will be a premium until EVs replace ICE. When cars with ICE came out, only the richest could offord it and it took decades to be accessible to everyone. it won’t take so long for EVs but we’re still in that early stage. There isn’t anything in the segment, to compare the 450X to. You have to buy the 450X with your heart and not so much with your mind.

The price is so high cuz of diminishing returns, the 450 was exceptionally better than its counterparts at its price, but to beat it the price went up by a ton and which might not justify the difference in 450 and 450X. If everything in the 450X doesn’t make sense to you If you think the 125cc 95k scooter can do the job for you then

1. Buy the 125cc scooter and join the herd of ICE ORR
  2. Buy the 450 and ship it for under 10k, ownership will be about just over 1.20Lakh I suggest you get the 450 while you can :wink: it’s a steal, even now.
4 Likes

Yes I had Bajaj discover 125cc bike which is of 15 yrs old. It’s fine to me. Just I did regular service. My running is only from office to home and home to office. Engine is good. Only Silencer and Oill tank got changed few years back. Still getting 50-55 mileage and good pick up as in purchase time.

1 Like

Hey,since the 450X series 1 panels will be available only mid next year. What will series 1 customer get? Will they be getting grey variant?

Nope, black and red with black side panels that’d be replaced with the transparent ones next year.

1 Like

tenor

Me waiting for payment link to open

5 Likes

so many series one owners opted for the grey rather than the series 1? Will they be getting this ?

3 Likes

They’ll get the regular grey if they pick grey (former pic)… And those picking Series 1 will get the opaque black and red one for now (latter pic). What caused the confusion?

The whole lot of grey scooters being delivered “soon” when payment is open for the first few people who pre- orders( series 1 beneficiaries )

2 Likes

Hmm valid point… Where are the rows of Series 1 vehicles? :thinking:

2 Likes

I had seen true injustice to series-1 pre-order customers from Ather team.:angry:

I had read that, the pre-order benefits for series-1 will be available/valid if we make a payment within 1month of payment window opening.

As told/informed(to ather team) that I don’t want to make payment until and unless the following are met

1. Test ride of full option series-1 450x vehicle (I heard that 450x is available for test ride in chennai but not series-1 and also some features are still missing).

2. I want to be fully aware of the optional accessories available for 450x vehicle. It was told by Tarun that it will be available before Mar2021 and series-1 is valid till that day.I don’t want to spend double payment for getting optional accessories.If Ather is not going to provide optional accessories,they should inform in writing.If thatbis the case,what is use of bluetooth and TPMS?🤦

It was not my fault that optional accessories or full option test ride of 450x is not ready now. So Ather has to delete this clause from current guidelines. I am ready to pay more as refundable amount of I want to keep the series-1 pre-order features.

I didn’t thought that Ather will do like this to fellow customers who are having full faith in Ather. Waiting reply from Ather team.I think that many has not read this clause.

Response from fellow friends and Ather team are welcome. @abhishek.balaji

6 Likes

I think Ather is following, Last in First Out formula. those who are preordered and opted for Series 1 are neglected and customers who ordered after 450x launch are given priority in Deliveries. Till now I did not see any single photo of Series 1 scooters that are ready for dispatch.

4 Likes

Will it be replaced or we can keep both original and the transparent panels?

When will the payment window open for the Bangalore order no. 40XXX?? Will it open in December?