How does AutoHold work?

Creating this thread to learn more about AutoHold.

Now, AutoHold is a feature we all had been expecting from far too long.

Gone are those generations where the brake holders were used totally related these days.

AutoHold is a smart mechanism that detects your stop on an incline / decline, it firms the hold so your Vehicle doesn’t roll back.

So, let’s dive in. Auto hold works on the motor and the sensors that detect of you are in incline, steady road or decline.

Imagine you are on a incline, the motor still stays on & tries to put the torque towards the up incline very slowly.

On decline - the torque is working to take your wheel backwards.

I have tried observing by being on incline and getting to watch the primary belt putting this steady torque very very slowly.

So slow that you won’t even get the feeling of the pull.

Guess this wasn’t too technically explained :grin:

54 Likes

Since brakes are not used to hold, it is a good system. Gen 2 manual has instructions not to use throttle to hold on incline. I guess because of new motor controller hardware.

21 Likes

A interesting observation indeed! Thanks for the heads up :slightly_smiling_face:

23 Likes

Bro even if you use throttle to hold on gen 2 , it will release throttle after 5-6 secs :no_good_man:t2:

19 Likes

I heard Gen3 had rhe same clause on the manual, but it had the capability under warps. Not sure if Auto hold and “manual” hold work the same way in the firmware though, so we might need clarification.

10 Likes

They should give Auto Hold feature to Gen 3 450 plus also because Gen 3 450X and 450 plus have same hardware only locked by software. Gen 3 450 plus is also capable for Auto hold feature as it have same motor as 450X. We also want this feature in gen 3 450 plus

20 Likes

It works this way in my car: in an incline/slope beyond a certain degree/inclination, just after releasing the clutch pedal but before putting the acceleration pedal (that is, before gear engagement period), the vehicle doesn’t move for 3 seconds (in my car). During this period, I must press the acceleration pedal. This is how it works. So, in 450x, it should work this way.

14 Likes

I am not sure who pushed the idea that the plus variant got pushed out. Afaik, all Gen3 scooters will get Autohold. Both + and x.

22 Likes

Its written on website that only gen 3 450x varient will get auto hold feature.

9 Likes

Does auto hold work when it is parked. I mean the bike is off and parked on an incline

14 Likes

Do you know anyone who owns a 450+ Gen3 and got early access to AtherStack 5? I haven’t seen any person and it’s mentioned on OTA website that only 450X Gen3 will get AutoHold.

19 Likes

Seems like it will not work, as it works on the motor by applying torque which will not happen when the vehicle is turned off.

12 Likes

The Hill hold Working while the motor is on is too good. But what we need the hold to work when the motor is switched off or while parked. I believe that a simple brake lock will do the job. Hope Ather will look into the same in future models and redesign the brake lever to accommodate the same.

11 Likes

Check this

3 Likes

I already know two plus users who have got it. Please be patient for your update.

5 Likes

Autohold once enabled on dashboard settings , there are tiny vibes on the handle bar especially when your vehicle is on stand still

5 Likes

Bro can you please send pictures of 450 plus users those who got auto hold features? Please

9 Likes

Autohold

6 Likes

This is 450X …i am talking about 450 plus

6 Likes

He asked for 450 plus models iam damn 100% sure autohold feature will not be available on 450 plus models because they have already mentioned clearly in their official website auto hold feature is only for 450x gen3

2 Likes