Home Charging

Refer to the post from @abhishek.balaji from March in the same topic (I quoted below for you).

Hi @abhishek.balaji how do I map my friend’s scooter

1 Like

You can reach out to CS and they’ll be able to help you with the mapping.

Today my vehicle was scheduled for pickup for regular service. Because I suspected low charge, I plugged in the charging cable and turned on charger yesterday night.

Ather was in shut down mode and I didn’t turn on the vehicle thinking it will anyway charge.

But morning it didn’t charge until I turned on the key. Is this expected behaviour?

Yes. This is normal behaviour. The vehicle will not charge when it is completely shutdown.

2 Likes

It has been an year since I got Ather and this was still unknown to me :smiley:

2 Likes

Solution !? What we have to do when reach 0% battery :thinking:

1 Like

At 0%, the vehicle will detect the charger and initiate charging. It’s only when completely shutdown that the charging does not happen.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Notification requests for the mobile app

What happens if it is in shutdown mode for long time and battery reduces to 0%. Will it detect the charger? Just curious :stuck_out_tongue:.

The scooter stops providing power to ride much before the battery really hits 0% the 0% shown on the dashboard is the usable charge for riding. You’ll still have enough power for the scooter to accept a charger and start charging

1 Like

But to answer your question, if you vehicle is completely drained out and is not switching on when you turn they key, connecting to the charger will wake up the scooter.

Do remember that if you got your scooter with the Ather Point, you will have to use the Point or the earlier portable charger.

Those using Ather Dot at home, can use Dot and the new portable charging cable to wake it up.

2 Likes

Hi, I live in a community in Hyderabad and we don’t have electric charging provision in our basement. There is no infra to get a dedicated meter and the charging station in my designated parking. I got a mail to confirm my Series 1 order. I am not sure if charging will be available in my own parking. Otherwise, I probably have to cancel my order.

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks, Balaji

Help me understand one thing…how are you paying electricity bill without a dedicated meter? Do you have one single meter for the entire comminity?:flushed:

4 Likes

Most, if not all, apartments/gated communities don’t have a dedicated charging point for EVs.

You don’t need a separate meter for your charging point. A line from your meter box needs to be taken to your designated parking spot. The Ather Charging Pod can either be plugged into a socket at that spot or hardwired.

1000s of owners in Bangalore and Chennai have done similar setups at their apartments.

3 Likes

Hello Everyone

a week ago my POD was not able to charge and it is continuously showing RED indicator.

I ignored it as we are not using the Flight much and so have left it without charge, after 2 days one of the plugs in bed room caught fire and melted (even while switched off!)

so i removed it and disconnected the board completed and isolated it.

an electrician was called and he just cleaned all the mess and installed a new plug, but when we asked him what caused it (reason why we called him) he just left saying some short circuit!

meanwhile battery is completely dead, worrying that it might hurt the battery i went to check whats wrong with the pod, after confirming all the wires are in place, i got my portable charger and even it was showing red indicator when plugged in!,

have checked the grounding first - it was good, but both pod and portable charger refuse to turn green. so I started to play my tricks with the portable charger which I remember from long rides. one of the trick was to reverse the phase and neutral, the trick worked and portable charger turned green and i was able to charge the vehicle.

so, I wanted to check if the same trick works with POD but POD refused to give up (stayed red)!!! image

I was confused as I was thinking Bescom must have reversed the phase and neutral, so i checked the plugs, to my surprise phase is on the right which is correct, I could not understand why portable charger started working with the phase reversed to left!!!, worried about flight safety i removed the charging.

now a strange phenomenon started on the third floor where mixer grinder is turning on automatically though switch was off, later that day 1st floor peoples washing machine started troubling.

after hearing above i checked neutral to ground with my multi-meter and I noticed there is come 10-20 fluctuating volts, so I got the issue - there was some leakage from neutral to ground in the building which is causing all the issues! so we unplugged all the appliances with 3 pin plugs and using others only when required. after checking with neighbors we got to know entire lane have similar issues at different parts of the day.

so bescom guy was called and a van showed-up today morning to investigate

I noticed that they are using some good old tech to figure out the issue with a bulb

finally after 4 long hrs they were able to isolate the building which is cause of the reverse surge (some issue with a building and also transformer) POD turned green finally image

just being curious I switched the terminals of the pod again (as reverse surge issue is sorted) but POD turned red

so moral of the story

POD is built like a tank, its a shield to the Flight.

u can play around with portable charger to a extent not POD

so when your POD turns red please don’t Ignore, (there might be some issue with the power line)

16 Likes

Thanks for sharing and making us all aware! Deserves to be put in the right category if incase any new user notices the same, as a precaution!

1 Like

This charger looks like one at public charging grid of arher… how did you get this ? My DOT charger is much smaller and grey in colour. It doesn’t have such big green indicator. It has regular size green LED…

3 Likes

AFAIK, these are the first gen home chargers. Dot came later

5 Likes