Home Charging

Any one received refund of electricity bill for quarter?

1 Like

How much electrical load required for home charging point to install?

1 Like

Hey folks, when does charging end? I kept my Ather for charge yesterday night at 10pm. At 11.45 it was at almost 80% complete. I left it on thinking it will stop the charging after sometime and thus the fan noise will stop and as well the blinking light would go away. Today morning when I checked at 6am, i still see that the light was blinking and also fan was running at full speed. I thought that Ather automatically stops charging once it reaches 100%. But it doesn’t seem this is the case. Had to bear the complaints of my neighbours about the sound and the blinking light. :). I hope there will be an option to stop charging after reaching about 98% and don’t do anything until it goes down below 90%.

4 Likes

What is the charging procedure, people are following, to ensure that it doesn’t affect the battery much in the long run.

Do I charge till 100% ?
Do i keep it for charge as soon as it goes below 20%?
Do i charge daily or only when it goes below to an unacceptable battery level?

What are the recommendations?

1 Like

I suppose you’ll have to treat it like a Li ion cellphone battery. The ideal healthy charge level is about 30-70%.

Charge it whenever you can even if it’s at 20-30%. Don’t have to wait for it to drop to zero.
So you can charge it daily. A typical lithium ion battery has about 300-500 charge cycles I think. Each charge cycle is from 0-100 so you’ll be doing only half a charge cycle if you charge at around 30% -80%.

Also, change your vehicle only up-to 80% or 90% if that can meet your requirements for the day.

Try not to charge it overnight, (if you do, make sure you unplug it as soon as it reaches 95% or 100%,) keeping the battery at 100% and charged for long will lead to faster battery wear.

Also try and keep your vehicle in the shade whenever possible. High temperatures will weaken the battery faster.

These are just my assumptions based on the Li ion battery in cellphones, if anyone else has any other pointers I’m missing out, please share your thoughts.

4 Likes

Wanted to share a few updates since my Ather has been delivered:

1. I did not get the home charger installed since the apartment where I’m staying at hasn’t allotted a parking slot for us yet. They had actually put a common charging point for EVs.

2. The moment I got the Ather delivered, I went and checked back on the charging port, but it turned out to be the Industrial socket and not the regular 5A point. I tried to get a Dunzo to find an adapter for the industrial socket, but got only the plug delivered.

3. This is a real solution if you have access to only the industrial socket and not the regular 5A socket. I bought a power extension/power strip and then cut off the regular plug and made a contraption (See pictures).

After carefully plugging in and checking with dummy devices, it worked!

8 Likes

there is no standardization as yet for EV’s ports

hope government and or manufacturers in Bharat come together to get this sorted

til then we need to come up with such idea’s

but we won’t stop riding EV’s and charging

5 Likes

How much time does it take to charge to 100% using this socket?

in other words, how much more times does this take than the home charging pod? @Abhishek may know this and hence asking him too…

2 Likes

The home charging pod and the charging cable charge at the same rate. I haven’t had the vehicle long enough to arrive at a charging time, but I plan to leave it charging overnight.

Only the charging locations across Bangalore support fast charging since they supply DC power directly unlike the pod and the cable, which draw AC power.

1 Like

If this is real, am a bit surprised on why so much hardware is needed for the pod! :wink: the benefits of the pod is something else? @Ather.Team @Shreyas

is the Portable charging cable is really required?

1 Like

Secure authentication, protection from surges/voltage fluctuations, proprietary female connector, rain/dust protection, the space age looks?
PS: maybe there are some smarts in there we dont know about yet.

3 Likes

As per Ather Energy Website, we can charge any EV for free for 6 months. Is it applicable on home charger as well??
From atherenergy.com

1 Like

The free for 6 months is for when you use the 5A socket on a Ather Grid point for non Ather EVs. You’ll anyway get the reimbursement for home charging for the first year.

1 Like

No…

1. Only Public Points have the flap at the bottom with a 15A socket underneath to connect any non Ather EV charger
  2. Assuming even you Non-Ather EV has the same Type II plug as the Ather scooters, only Public Points have the bar code to scan, authenticate and begin charging your non-ather EV.

You mean to say that Home Charger does not come with 5A & 15A socket?

You won’t need it. It comes with the flap disabled and there’s no socket behind that.

Yes… 5A/15A socket not populated in home charger pod…

Public charger-see flap and barcode. I’ve connected my E20 charger

My home charger- the bottom black portion is not a flap and there is no socket there

3 Likes

Thanks Abhishek for sparing time with us.
Your post has created work around for those who do not have permission to install charging point by the landlord.

1 Like