Home Charging with 5 A or 15 A plug?

Thats a very tricky situation apartment + rent, would be nice to see folks coming with solutions for this.

4 Likes

I stay in rented house 2nd floor. Though my owner is supportive and allowed to install dot I couldnā€™t because of space issue and also thought about re i stalling amd stuff. So I dropped a pug box from my floor to ground floor and portable charger. Whenever I require I use it other wise pull the plug box up and keep it.

I routed the cable from outside to my plug point inside my house whivh is fixed and the excess cable along with box is rolled and kept aside. I will try to post a picture tomorrow since I have to do it from browser.

3 Likes

Also, want to ask, do I need to get my sanctioned load updated at BESCOM for home if I install the Dot charger? Ive never come across this discussion anywhere.

1 Like

No, you donā€™t need to.

6 Likes

Can u please share dot charger installed photos

2 Likes

I am not using above adaptor for charging. Is it fine?

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

4 Likes

Hey,

Iā€™m replying a lot late. Apologies. But I have managed to make the dot charger work with DC input. If I remove the earth pin from the charger plug or the socket, it works fine. I have been using it this way since August.

Answering the other question, I am using Lithium-ion batteries for the solar power storage. We can discuss about this in detail in WhatsApp if youā€™re interested. Iā€™m not an expert in this. Iā€™m relying upon my dadā€™s knowledge or his friendā€™s (who is the mastermind behind the DC design). So, in case of doubts thatā€™s beyond my knowledge, Iā€™ll have to check with him and revert

6 Likes

Just wanted to ask for more clarity, it is DC like directly from the batteries? How much voltage is the DC output? How much current do you guess it draws?

Can you please clarify with the local expert and add here before someone tries this?

3 Likes

First of all, people, do not feed DC directly to any appliance until youā€™re completely sure of the design and it is verified that it wonā€™t cause any issues. Take this as my disclaimer :smiley:

Now, to the question @acorreya , the output voltage is 240V (same as our AC voltage). The current drawn should be similar to what we usually get from AC. The batteries are connected in series/parallel in such a way that the output voltage is similar to AC. The BMS takes care of over/under voltage and will shut off the system if required. During daytime, the voltage is generally around 240V (regulated by the BMS) and apart from feeding to the working appliances, itā€™ll also charge the batteries. By evening, when the sunlight is low and the voltage drops, the BMS switches the source to batteries and the discharge starts.

2 Likes

Itā€™s always better to the a 15A power plug. 5A is fine. But, it will result in heating of the charger and hence there will be some heat loss.

3 Likes

Actually, you donā€™t need a 15A socket, 5A is more than enough as Dot or Portable charger is rated for maximum 4A draw any heat loss will not affect the performance of the charger.

6 Likes

This being India youā€™ll have those plug sockets that were reused from the tv box from 10 years back, and those wires that came leftover after pulling the ā€œ0Wā€ bulb to the bedroom all mashed up with other heavyweight lines into a Ā¼" tube and called a day for an electrician.

So rather go for a 15A circuit unless it is surely a true 5A circuit.

(From painful experience)

7 Likes

I Donā€™t know what you experienced, but not all fingers have the same length likewise, not all buildings have the same wiring.

Here you go https://bs-ather-jobs-assests.s3.ap-south-1.amazonaws.com/bpa-assests/Ather+Dot+manual+for+Ather+450.pdf

3.5A maximum

7 Likes

@power_light2000 wanted to ask questionā€™s

1. So for charging our Ather which is best, should I charge my Ather using the 16A PRCD plug provided in the Ather charger or should i use 5A to 16A converter (which is also provided by Ather) to charge the scooter.

I have both 16A and 5A socket so wanted to know which is the best for the scooter. 16A or using converter?

1. I wanted to know that, charging the Ather using an extension board is safe or not? Many of them charge using extension board but just wanted to be sure because in the charger manual they mentioned not to charge using extension board.

2. Even I charge using an extension board so now i have an issue which i am not able to solve

These are the images of the extension board plug in which the top wire has come out, even after the wire coming out it is charging the scooter correctly. Now should i put the wire back inside and tighten it or should i leave it like that only.

2 Likes

It is always best to reduce the number of hoops you have between the source and the device. Try plugging the charger directly to the socket whenever possible. Use the adaptor only when you are limited by situations.

That green wire is the earth pin, and it is a safety mechanism to drain off any residue electricity that might leak through errors, thus causing damage to devices or persons. It will still work, but with a risk. Better put it back in.

5 Likes

OkšŸ™‚

But for charging can i use only 16A or the should I use it with the 5A converter

This is the 5A converter device which i was mentioning. Should i use this converter and charge or can i use 16A socket directly

3 Likes

This convertor is required if you donā€™t have a 16A socket for portable charger. since it require only 6A charger we can use the adapter. Incase if you have 16A socket this is not required.

By the way the image you have used is my image, which I posted here for another reply.

3 Likes

This is my SmartSetup with separate meter and smart switching while itā€™s fully charged the notification on the phone flashes and that creates a scene which turns down the power socket off, using a 16amp socket switch setup with additional MCB beside the meter and no converter used from 16amp to 5amp direct plugged 5amp plug to 16amp socket board and its working like charm need not worry for charge just need to manually plug in the charger to the Ather 450x socket and forget.

Photo attached:

4 Likes

Yeah i have 16A socket so i will use 16A directly. Thanks for the informationšŸ˜Š

Yeah yeah :sweat_smile: sorry since i donā€™t use the converter much i forgot where i kept, so used yours :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes