Home Charging with 5 A or 15 A plug?

My ather 450x is set for delivery next week and I have opted to take up the portable charger over the dot charger. I have a dedicated parking lot in my building. Should I opt for a 5 Amp or 15 Amp charging socket to be installed at my parking?

6 Likes

you’ll need to have 15A socket. Pin for portable charger is 15A.

11 Likes

5amp is enough. I’m using it daily charging no issues.

7 Likes

Any thing works, however as a best practice 15A socket is recommended keeping the safety and worst case scenarios in mind.

If 15A socket is not available then a 5A socket will do the job. As @wmayuresh said the portable charger comes with 15A plug by default but an adaptor for 5A socket is provided within the package so no need to worry.

Here is the picture of adaptor provided

7 Likes

Interesting!! I didn’t get such adapter from Ather/ dealer in Pune.

8 Likes

:face_with_monocle: It should be there with in the slip-in bag which comes along with portable charger. I am wondering if it might be a miss in your case!

I mean this bag

11 Likes

:slight_smile: checked again in that bag. seems missed. will check with dealer when I’ll visit next. Thanks for highlighting. @siddharthb1616, if you are anyway going to get wiring and switch done, go for 15A. won’t change costing much and you can use that point in future may be for charging your EV car :slight_smile: I have done this work from Meter/MCB to parking. Let me know if any help needed. Can share photos of work done at my place.

10 Likes

You can get a socket having both 5 n 15A. I have installed this board and using portable charger

4 Likes

should i use AH socket for charging? or even normal plug poer is enough? asking as i don’t want to stress my UPS which has 1.5 KV invertor

6 Likes

Given the capacity, your inverter might not be able to take the load on power outages. Rather do a direct line if possible.

7 Likes

I’m just curious about something. Most of the equipment at our home are powered and run by DC (Direct Current) directly from solar panels or batteries (exceptions are iron box, mixie, pump motor and such). I just got my 450 plus delivered today. Tried to use the dot charger with DC input. Did not work. Works fine with AC input (as designed to do so). Can anyone enlighten me if powering it through DC directly possible. If yes, how do we do it? Or just a blunt no?

8 Likes

I think you have an invertor that converts the DC from solar/battery to 220v AC. The charger uses about 700watts when I check. If the solar invertor is more than 1kw it should be able to charge ( if all other equipments are switched off)

9 Likes

I’m not using an inverter for converting DC to AC. We have BLDC fans, LED lights, LG inverter AC, Fridge (inverter model) etc. at home. All of these work directly on DC. Available battery capacity is 32kW at home. I don’t think load is an issue. I just want to know if the Dot charger can directly DC as input.

5 Likes

No. The DOT charger will only take an AC input. The vehicle uses a ~58.8v DC input from the charger.

That’s a rack of batteries!. Do you use Lead Acid or Lithium Ion /LFP batteries?

What is your charge controller rating?.

I have so many questions now!

3 Likes

32kW of batteries??? That a truckload. coming to your question The problem is the PRCD won’t turn on your DOT. Also, the Internal Bridge rectifier, you can use it if you can source an inverter of at least 1 kw. Inverter based appliances don’t care Ac or DC since they run on DC a simple bridge rectifier in them takes care of it, But in DOT the PRCD is only designed to run on AC.

5 Likes

I am also useing 5 Amps socket for my 450 X EV, found no issues.

2 Likes

hi all just wanted to know during online purchase is the option there to choose between dot and portable charger or we should do it at time of delivery?

3 Likes

You have to select at the time of purchase. You will get a confirmation call 1-2 days later if you want a dot or portable. After that you can’t change your preference.

5 Likes

I’m not sure if there’s a topic to this but today charging from the portable charger took me close to 6 hours to get to 90 percentage forget 100! Anyone else facing this issue? This never happened so far to me.

3 Likes

hi all which charger do you recommend for me. I live in a rented apartment and there is no socket down so should I get an Ather Dot and install or ask Ather to fit a socket near my parking place ( if they do that ) and use the portable charger with that cos if I move won’t that be easier?

5 Likes