Home Charging with 5 A or 15 A plug?

If you have a 16a socket use that, Don’t use the converter, the converter is just in place if the 16a socket is not available plus it removes the fear of loose contacts if a converter is used.

It’s completely safe as long as you use proper wire and socket

Connect the wire back to the centre pin, That wire is for Earth, If it’s hanging lose it might short with live wire and can become hazardous, PS the PRCD and Ather GND pins require an Earth connection.

you can use it as long as the prongs don’t become loose.

3 Likes

Thanks for providing all the information😊

I am using a cona extension board and it’s been working without any problem. Sometimes i charge 2 Ather’s back to back using that extension board and it charges pretty well without any issues.

One more last question wanted to ask.

This is the gap between the PRCD plug and the 16A socket. I dont know why but no matter how much ever i push the plug it doesn’t go completely in it, leaves a gap in between. So is it safe to charge the scooter having this gap in between the plug and the socket?

Sorry for asking so many questions about charging the scooter. I have no idea how electricity works so thought that i will get some help in the forum.

1 Like

What the Hell, it cannot have this much gap in between, try replacing the socket with known brands like Anchor Roma, GM, Legrand, or Havells. Most likely you will end up replacing the faceplate and the box but it will be worth it.

3 Likes

@kotteeswar25 @newsolankisteels while charging for approx 1hr try removing the plug and touch it see how much heat it generates due to 5amps i faced this issue and immediately changed the switch to 16amps and it was solved :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That gap is dangerous man. It will burn the sockets. Change the socket ASAP

Technically it should not since the charger will consume 2.5A to 3A max (as per my observation). Should work on 5A without a problem. Is your charger directly plugged in to socket or is through extension? If through extension you can check the diameter of your wire, since this could also be an issue if the wire is not thick enough to carry the 5A current. Wire thickness >1.5sqmm is recommended for 5A.

1 Like

The wire thickness is 2.5sqmm

I have faced the issue with 5Amper socket and plug and could even touch the plug after 30mins it was so hot so I got everything changed to 16 Amper and that solved the problem

1 Like

Weird actually, current drawn for the mains should not be restricted by the socket.

Then I think problem might be with the socket, not exactly sure in your case. But you found a possible solution that’s good.

3 Likes

The socket was 5Amper before now it is changed to 16 Amper

5 Likes

Should I charge my Ather 450X with 15A socket or a 16A socket ? I’m confused.

You can charge with any socket available, if you have an access to 16a socket then it’s much preferable as the need of converter is eliminated.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.