Grid sharing features

Charging @ Ather grid solution I feel there must be alarm in owners mobile once Ather is charged up fully & alarm should not go off till the owner do not unplugged the Ather from grid.

3 Likes

ICEing

Haha, problem is not only with Ather grid !!
Tesla and other EV owners block gas stations to spread awareness of ICE vehicles blocking charging stations !!

2 Likes

It’s a simple solution. Just follow the lead what the big EV firms does,
Charge for idle time (>90 or 100%) per min and the problem is solved.

No Ather owner would be lethargic to leave the bike on charge when they know (s)he will be charged per min after full charge.

7 Likes

To add to this:

While we are discussing about charger hogging…I’d like to share an experience from yesterday’s ride.

I was not in town and was hence unable to make it to the Ather ride yesterday. However, My scooter didn’t miss the ride. My Bro-in-law and nephew were there with my scooter. He had forgotten to charge the scooter the previous night and the scooter had only 55% charge when he started on Sunday Morning. Since he was visiting Ather Space and Patels inn have Ather Grid chargers, he took the risk and started.
Upon reaching Ather Space, all 3 chargers were occupied. Since he was in the A group, he decided to charge it at Patel’s inn. He asked a Volunteer at Patel’s Inn and plugged the scooter in. Range remaining was 25kms (Eco mode) at this time. My home is around 30 kms. Based on his own experience at the Atherspace, he didn’t want to hog the charger. Therefore, after around 45 mins, he decided to remove the charger so that it’ll be helpful to any other user in need. When he went to the scooter, he saw that the charger was removed from my scooter and another scooter was put for charging!! The range remaining in my scooter was 26kms (Eco mode) which shows that it was removed in probably 1 or 2 minutes after it was plugged in :open_mouth: The range remaining in the other scooter was 60+kms.
While he was surprised how another Ather owner could do something this to a fellow Ather owner, I was surprised how was it even possible for the the charger to be removed in the first place!!!

So, he repaid the favour, removed the charger and put it back to my scooter! But from then on he didn’t have much time left as he had to come back home. The charge remaining was just about matching the distance to travel. He thought even if it runs out, he will use some other Grid charger on the way. When he reached home it was 3kms

Even though my scooter reached home safe (although my BIL was forced to ride in that boring ECO mode the entire day), I have couple of points to make:

• How was it possible to remove the charger? Why didn’t the solenoid lock?
  • Some members here have written that if it’s another Ather owner, they are ok to have them remove the charger and move their scooter as they know how to operate. But with this experience, my belief that “courtesy can only be expected but not guaranteed” is reinforced. hence NOBODY, even it’s another Ather owner must be able to unplug another Ather which is already charging

PS: My BIL has taken a photo of the scooter that was charging after it was removed from mine. I don’t want to post it here as that is not an important point here.

5 Likes

I think your brother in law didn’t plug it in properly. Only possible way of someone else could remove it. Or the solenoid didn’t lock. I think sometimes it takes about a minute to lock I suppose?
Either way, you’re right, I’m not comfortable with another person (even an Ather owner) removing the charger while my scooter is plugged in.

The fact that it gained a kms worth of charge means that it was plugged in properly. Moreover, the fact that he could go it again shows that the solenoid didn’t lock even in that other scooter.
Solenoid not locking is the main issue and another Ather owner removing it while in use is the second issue here.

5 Likes

I noticed a similar thing at Nature’s basket Sadashivnagar. The solenoid hadn’t locked in a fellow athers scooter and he had 95% SoC. This was long ago and I didn’t know that the public chargers also cannot be unplugged without the key and I tried unplugging it and it worked. I put my scooter to charge and went to nature’s basket and by the time I came back another Ather had unplugged mine and was charging his scooter. I had enough charge to get home that day, so it didn’t affect me. But is this a common occurrence ?

1 Like

@hemanth.anand, as far as I have noticed, if the key is Turned off when the charged is plugged, it is not locking. It happens with me everyday even at home charger.
So, I turn on the vehicle to see the message turn off key to start charging and then lock the scooter.
This is a very common occurrence for me. I suppose something of this sorts might have happened !

2 Likes

I had the same experience.

https://forum.atherenergy.com/t/charging-at-ather-grid/292/332?u=nit1995

I was waiting for over an hour in front of a fully charged vehicle and someone came in rented Ather (Royal Brothers or something). He was also fully out of charge. I told him very confidently that you cannot charge and you will have to wait till the other guy comes. He still went ahead and pulled it out. It wasn’t locked or anything. I thought that it was maybe an error. I didn’t want to pull it out from my scooter for the fear of damaging the port or the charger.

While the ability to pull out the charger might be helpful in case someone is hogging the place, I won’t be confident of putting my scooter to charge when someone could easily remove it.

This was at Innov8 Koramangala.

4 Likes

There is a solenoid lock issue with some 450s, including mine. While I look at it as a convenience rather than a issue, it’s definitely not ok to remove the charger from another bike without approval.

This is a big no-no!

3 Likes

Ather Grid, At Works, Guindy, Chennai.
(On behalf of Chennai Ather Owners)

See if you can pull out the entire Ather fast charger and take it home :joy: , installing at this place is useless move by @Ather.Team

1 Like

Very disappointing. The person should have left your vehicle to charge first even if he was in need of the grid. But even after seeing ur battery % he has disconnected from your moped is completely unacceptable. You should actually share the image of that moped so that everyone will know and he himself will know. Everyone facing similar issues at different public charging are keeping quite without sharing those pictures. You can share them. So then at least probably if they are on the forum they will explain what happened

I am sorry this happened. On the public charging points, the connector’s locking mechanism itself may have gotten damaged which prevents the locking. Now, our team does a monthly check of all the Ather Grid points during which we catch this and replace the connector. I have alerted the team on this - it should NOT be possible to remove the connector while the key is off and vehicle is charging. They will get the point checked and replace the connector.

2 Likes

It’s A high time that ather leaves their proprietary charge connector and shift to CCS Type 2 chargers, atleast we can charge it here in chennai Metro stations and other points, Ather promised for over 30 fast chargers in chennai and 10 days remaining to end 2019 there just 12 of them

3 Likes

atleast an adaptor, please

5 Likes

hello @Ather.Team

please advice if you are willing to provide adaptors for @Ather_Owner enabling owners to access other public fast charging stations

3 Likes

Hi Abhishek,
I will check internally. I am not sure how complex this is. In case it requires fresh design and manufacturing, it would be a longish process (though i dont know how long). Let me check anyways .

Thanks
Gandharv

2 Likes

you just require a dc to dc step up or step down converter how hard can it be?