Grid sharing features

Ah nice! Though, in option #2, it would be killer irony if the next guy has to wait longer for the first guy to finish charging exactly because the first guy was penalized with slower charging because he made someone wait the last time he charged on the grid :joy:

2 Likes

Different options can be thought of. In case of option 2 (slow charging), nozzle will come out immediately when the next person scans the QR code (without waiting to achieve 80%)…

2 Likes

This looks like a really good option. If this is implemented it will be really helpful.

But this is not a good idea as it is not customer friendly. As far as I know Ather is very customer friendly so the automatic unlock seems better than the penalty idea.

2 Likes

One more option: 5. Since there are a lot of 450s around, try to increase number of chargers at the existing ather grid points(atleast by 1). This will not only increase the number of individual charging points. Even if multiple scooters are charging at least one of the owners will be sensible enough to come and unlock their scooter.

2 Likes

Yeah this was the suggestion by me.

5 Likes

Hey folks!

Some great news on this front! When you plug in your scooters at an Ather Grid point, the charger will now unlock automatically once the scooter is charged up to 100%. This means that if another scooter is plugged in and has reached 100%, you will be able to remove the charger and plug in your Ather.

This has been enabled on 450X and 450 Plus from Day 1, and will be rolled out as an OTA to all Ather 450s as well in the next couple of months.

No more trying to wait and hunt down another owner to charge up your Ather. :smiley:

23 Likes

Brilliant! Finally available :grin:

Could it be changed to 80% instead ?, Because it takes quite a lot of time for the last 20% Also the estimate on the dash is for both 80% and 100% so it shouldn’t be a problem. It makes a bit more sense, no?

9 Likes

I agree to your valid point :+1::+1::+1:

If a owner intends to charge till 80%, he will be waiting near the charger itself mostly as it is faster and generally between 20 - 50 mins waiting. Owner leaves his vehicle plugged in only when it takes more time and he require more than 80% for his commute. So, solenoid unlocking automatically after reaching 100% while only grid charging makes sense

1 Like

We considered it but for the charger to automatically unlock, the charging has to stop as well for safety reasons, since the plug might not be completely secure into the charging port.

1. If we unlock the charger at 80%, in cases where we genuinely want to charge above 80% it becomes a hassle if the charging stops at 80%. It would mean that you have to come back to the vehicle, plug it in again to continue charging.

2. When done at 100%, it unlocks and stops charging which is more seamless for both the owner charging, and if someone is waiting to charge.

10 Likes

Ohh got it. Makes sense. But still could be fixed with maybe a way to stop charging before unplugging. But I understand.

Stopping at 80% comes with its own disadvantages. Someone could just take out the charger and start charging their scooter or ev thay MIGHT or might not really need it. And when it becomes paid could even result in electricity theft. Thanks for bringing the 100% option at least. Will make a big difference to a lot of people

Really not true. A lot of owners just leave it for hours and not just because they NEED the 100% charge rather because they just can.

Valid point. Makes sense.

2 Likes

Anyway to provide a “stop charging” button on the dashboard after it hits 80%? That way new user can come and stop the charging after 80%? Ofcourse the first user should be able to opt out of this if he/she really needs the 100% charge.

2 Likes

@abhishek.balaji : Requesting Connector for Public charging to be set up as a separate discussion thread on forum.

Ather Grid roll out has been extremely slow (I can say that for Mumbai), even with that, most points show offline / not available. At the same time, more and more public charging networks are becoming available, and most DON’T have AC Plug Point that one can use the Ather Portable charger with. Even if a regular plug is available (not part of Public charger), the charge time for 3/4 hour makes long rides on Ather outside cities difficult.

The notes from Jun 2021 owners meet had a request for connectors, the response was that connectors would be expensive. Perhaps it’s possible to change the approach on this? Ather doesn’t have to decide this for users. I suggest let the market decide that.

Ather and other 2 wheel EV OEMs can only benefit if they design the connector blueprints and make it available to industry / for any entrepreneurs to build and make EV specific connectors compatible with fast chargers (CCS-2, Bharat DC001, CHAdeMO) available to the end consumer.

Let it be consumer choice if they are willing to pay more for such connector if it enhances their ride objective.

1 Like

Please provide an option to contact Ather owner , since there are few chargers in the city. There are instances such that the bike is already about 90 and a person who just came got 10 % but there is no option for this guy to contact the owner of the currently charging bike ! Its better if we had that contact details on charging (may be an off option too if ppl dont like this option) this will help a lot ! Suggest if there are any other options like a call divert options via Ather to the owner such that owner number wont be revealed !!

11 Likes

Its a very good suggestion. Ather, kindly look into the feasibility.

2 Likes

Thats a good suggestion

but thinking about Privacy matters more, Imagine what if the owner’s number are been misused

but instead of displaying the Owner Contact details the Lock on the Charging socket should be automatically unlocked once ist above 90-95+% Charging complete

3 Likes

I would never ever ever share my contact number.There should be a better way where a ‘disconnect request’ icon is enabled on the display when charging is on at public place. When pressed, it should alert the owner on Ather app. When, owner accepts disconnect request, charger can be removed. Also, when the charge reaches 100%, it should be disconnected (if possible).

Privacy issues: nil Practicality: 100

3 Likes

The best way would be to present some qr code that the app will validate online. More privacy if a call can be initiated from the app in such a way that there is a common phone number for this. An option number generated in the app/server (eg. 040-3377337700— 2323#) will ring to the phone number of the owner indirectly like it does for Flipkart/Amazon delivery.

5 Likes

You dont need to share your number Ather should proxy them to right owner based on pin

Exactly you got my point properly !!

1 Like