EPluto 7G

Lithium becomes the New oil :blush: and this also catch a fire …:frowning:

Any guess ! how it’s happened?! :thinking:

Remember the iPhone that exploded in a customers pocket? Did not stop the iPhone sales.

Or the infamous Samsung Note battery issues that basically changed SOP for airlines to ban carriage of lithium ion batteries in the cargo hold.

None of these have bankrupted the companies or stopped mass adoption of smartphones.

If a few more Epluto scooters go up in flames, yes, there is a cause to worry about that particular product. But until then, it could be something as small a 1 bad cell in the pack that passed Manufacturer QC.

4 Likes

Yeah, For a mature product or brand, they will be able to cope up although with a short term damage to brand and finance.

Here, it is about a product or indusstry at nascent stage, where many people have dilemma about EV itself.

Btw, I could already see few whatsapp groups making it as EV problem rather than one odd issue :smiley:

Also, Tata Nano could have failed for multiple reasons, but catching fire handful times and getting replayed million times in TV was one of the reasons for sure.

4 Likes

Literally, the first thing we do when we start any new battery development is a test for a thermal runaway scenario. Thermal runaway is when there’s an uncontrollable increase in temperatures, which can cause fires. Thermal runaways can occur due to a variety of reasons but the primary ones are short circuits, cell internal short, and mechanical abuse. The BMS and other short circuit protection in the battery protect the pack from any shorts. There are actually three levels of short circuit protection.

On the mechanical abuse side, we’ve placed the pack in a place where it is shielded from external abuse as much as possible. We’ve had 450’s crash and the battery comes out unscathed in pretty much every case. This is also a reason why we prefer an aluminum casing. It also helps keep the battery cool. The cell spacing and thermal management inside the pack are also designed in a way so as to ensure that in the event of a thermal runaway, the fire doesn’t spread from one cell to the other.

All that said, cell internal shorts can still occur because of manufacturing issues at the cell supplier’s end. This is the reason we only source cells from Tier 1 suppliers, even if this comes at an extra cost. Ather currently has in excess of a million cells on the field. To ensure we are absolutely sure that the rider will be safe in a one in a million event, we conduct tests over and above regulatory requirements to simulate a thermal runaway due to a cell internal short circuit event. Only after we pass these tests do we clear the battery pack design for production.

29 Likes

looks like 1 cell’s internal failure resulting in heat and explosion causing a chain reaction

4 Likes

Cell internal failure, reason may be over heat :thinking:

2 Likes

This post looks like a detailed update by Ather staff. But, there is no tag to indicate they are from Ather team. Curious, why is the Ather staff tag missing?

3 Likes

Can be anything, Don’t want to speculate, NMC batteries are pretty new, anything can be the cause, from Internal failure, BMS, Short Circuit, external damage, overcurrent, poorly managed battery pack.

Let’s just wait for the official report from the company

2 Likes

Has there been any statement from the company? Regarding acknowledging it or something?

3 Likes

One more ev on fire :fire: :fire:

Summer is impacting a lot🥵

Now I have fear about EV’s.

Can we trust our Ather?

Earlier it was range anxiety, now it’s fire …

3 Likes

You can trust Ather as the team has taken utmost precautions while designing battery packs, BMS and also incorporated a cooling mechanism unlike OLA or Pluto.

Cooling mechanism present in Chetak as well.

5 Likes

Ather have in house battery pack development and r&d on it in Indian weather conditions for almost a decade. So never worry for any such incidents.

4 Likes

We recently hosted this session on Linkedin from a hiring POV, but have now made it available for everyone here:

It’s slightly long but is really comprehensive on how we build safer battery packs

15 Likes

HI Team,

Can we ask for the battery pack temperature to be displayed on the dashboard? Its done in the Revolt. This will give an idea of what’s going on in the chemical pack and at least give us an early warning as well peace of mind during summer months in the places like chennai.

7 Likes

That is great idea. In addition if the health of the battery is included it will help to correct some habits that degrade batteries.

I understand the following is important.

1. Never charge immediately after riding Ather for a long distance.
  2. Avoid charging 100%
  3. Starting a habit to open the throttle gradually helps maintain low efficiency for a better range.
4 Likes

Can this video be Edited and audio-enhanced? most of the time there is a pause and cuts or either the volume gets too low

4 Likes

Enhancing this video might be difficult, instead, collect a few questions around battery and will get them answered by the team through a video?

8 Likes

Good Morning All, Im Little Late to this Thread.!!

Im Using PureEV Epluto7G Since 18Months till now Drove 32000kms on Petrol one 25000kms Took Ather450x Gen2 4months drove 7500kms

I have No major Issues in 7G Just Forkups (Coneset) issues , Shockers issues & Plastics Sound Because of my Trip

I Have did Electric Scooter journey from Hyderabad to Kanyakumari on PureEV Epluto7G of 4660kms in 26Days for my business Activities and to fulfill my travel Enthusiasm Did my own Research on EV’s From one month of my Journey with Scooter and Compared various factors with others in Market came to know about various issues which may arrive in Terms of Battery Management Issues, Vehicle over Dynamics, Vehicle Control Units and Electric Powertrain.

YT: Travelwithavinash

2 Likes

I intentionally Made my 7G Climb ooty ghats to test power of 1.5kw Hub motor of total 36 hairpins bends it climbed 8 and mcb got shorted.!!

At that day started from Masinagudi

Non on EV Is perfect.!!

My Ather Gen2 is giving 95 to 100kms in Ride mode at 45 to 50kmph

All thanks to my ride experience of 26days trip

where my friends are getting 80 to 85 on same speed just because of way i use throttle

Ather Heat management is Crazy.!!

Even Driving without Break at 70 to 75kmph for 50+kms also motor can go more Fan Kicks when temp rises

Aerodynamics also helps in cooling the fan.!!

4 Likes