Does the portable charger work with extension boards?

My college is 36 KMs away from home, so instead of worrying about my riding pattern to stay within the range, I decided to opt for the portable charger, so that I can charge it during my classes. The problem is that there is no power outlet at the parking area so I was planning on getting an extension board and getting permission from my HOD to connect the board to a socket inside and run it from the window to the parking area(the parking spot is next to the building wall with windows).

What are the requirements for the portable charger to charge? How do I verify if the socket is compatible with the charger? How do I verify if the extension board is acceptable to work with the charger? Any other thing i should keep in mind?

(My first post, apologies if i skim any guidline)

5 Likes

I’d actually prefer the dot over the portable anyday but i do not want to fast charge my Ather on a daily basis, neither do I want to constantly focus on smooth acceleration and regen, etc.

3 Likes

You can use 1.5 sqmm three core wire with socket and switch , that should do the job, I also use extension board with my portable charger, works like charm.

6 Likes

I am using a normal extender that we use at home.m & it works perfectly fine. I always keep the portable charger and the extension board in my boot. You see, I love the long leisure rides on my Toothless. :blush:

4 Likes

Thank you for you’re response, have you ever connected to a socket that the charger did not accept? The website mentioned that this could happen. Is the boot space enough for hold the helmet and the charger?

1 Like

Do you own the gen 3 , if yes, based on my commute do i have to worry about range im on sports mode the whole time and 60 kmph average? Considering my total round trip is at Max 80 Kms

2 Likes

Just check if wiring is proper and the socket from where you are taking power has proper earthing.

5 Likes

Portable charger is water proof? As we use it outside

2 Likes

a portable charger does have an offical IP rating so it is not waterproof. but there is proper care taken, I wonder why Ather did not certify it for waterproofing. here are some pics of the internals. I would suggest not to use a portable charger during rains.

1 Like

Thanks for te reply

2 Likes

The charger is good. You don’t have to worry about earthing. I have used it in some of the most remotest places in Maharashtra. Yes, boot space is enough for charger and a compact extension board and will still have some space left for lill stuffs. :blush:

5 Likes

I was planning on taking the charger to my college to charge it but the parking space is open so if it rains its gonna be an issue. Any suggestions?

3 Likes

Shouldn’t 80km be easily doable everyday on a gen3. It’s already possible to get min 60-70km in sport mode on gen2

3 Likes

80 km is easily doable on Gen 2, in fact. If the rider is not confident that the scooter would give enough (true) range, then rather switch to Smart Eco and let the machine do the riding.

4 Likes

Hi, i wanted to know the same thing as i prefer the dot over the portable one, considering sports mode average speed of 60kmph, running the whole time and normal riding style like an ICE scooter? Is 80 km range dooable? I do not want to constantly check my acceleration pattern, make sure I’m maintaining same speed etc. What are your thoughts? Advice would be appreciated.

3 Likes

I cannot connect what you are asking about the dot and the range. Dot is the same charger as the portable, but with an extra shell and a few quirky features.

Meanwhile, the

Is a very subjective thing and cannot be commented on by me, but if you are a sane rider, you will get the mileage. Also, once you have the scooter, it takes some adjusting and that is not something you can run away from. Everything from handling to acceleration, and from features to maintenance are totally different. You do not want to end up like a person from the bygone era who is used to the Nokia 1100 ranting about Android/ iOS, right?

3 Likes

Sorry for not being clear, what i meant was if i could cover 80 Kms range then i will go for the Ather dot, as my choice for getting the portable charger was so that id charge it at my college, i am aware that both are similar in charging time.

No, i do not want to be stuck with the nokia of course lmao, i just asked that because i didn’t want any restriction in power , like not being able to speed up etc. I might have to see it myself, thank you.

4 Likes

Now i understand!

I’d suggest you take a Dot if your home can have it installed (residential association in flats causing fuss, etc). You still can carry it in your boot as someone told, and has tad bit water resistance than the portable one. It charges only to your scooter as a security measure and has longer charging end cable. Also no need for tricky holder setup to keep it in your charging space.

While 80km is doable, better have a portable charger for emergencies. You won’t always ride with conservative riding style. Sometimes if you are late, you might want to ride fast.

You can have portable charger along with extension. Don’t use it daily if not needed. But surely you will need it once a while. While 80km is doable most of the time, it takes the fun out if driving, especially on highways/ clear roads.

1 Like

Thank you!Exactly why i posted the question in the first place, i did not want to drive conservatively, i was thinking of talking to my EC guy to give me a temporary portable charger for a day and try out my full ride without driving conservatively, if i can manage it, then I’ll return it and get the dot.

3 Likes