Discussions on solar home installations

I’m not sure about the price, but I think micro inverters will be connected to specified number of panels, for example 1 micro inverter for 2 panels…

This is just for future proofing if you need to add additional panels in the future and you have installed a string inverter of some specific capacity you won’t be able to expand the system… You will have to get a new inverter with higher capacity.

Where as in case of micro inverters, you can expand the system easily.

2 Likes

Refer this video

1 Like

Thank you. Your replies were very helpful. I will be meeting the Eco soch guys this week. I have also requested a quote from another installer but haven’t got a reply yet.

I have a 3kwp installed by other vendor and cost was almost same. I have Waree panels and Delta inverter…

I had no idea about micro inverters!.

This is why I love this forum. Always learning something new!

3 Likes

Talk to Balark Solar
+91 9845333022 / 9901268823 , the are good and provided panels and setup at much cheaper rates.
They are just next to Hebbal Flyover on top of the VW showroom.

The Eco soch team sent me some documents with the advantages of Micro inverters. Looks like they have many advantages, but I think there might be an increase in the cost. They are recommending a brand called Enphase, so I wanted to investigate if there are other brands that might be competitive with them.
Below is a screenshot of some of the advantages of Microinverters, from Enphase’s brochure :

1 Like

I had a quote from Solarify.
They had quoted around 2L for 2kW ongrid setup.
Includes Vikram Solar panels and Growatt Inverter

How did you get the quote from Solarify? Did you call them directly? I submitted a request on their website, but they haven’t got back to me, while the Ecosoch guys immediately replied back and called me.
Regarding the panels, I’m inclining more towards the Micro inverter ones due to the advantages, inspite of the additional cost. Also, a Micro inverter based setup let’s me increase the number of panels easily, if required in the future.

What is the cost difference on micro inverter coming to?

Yes submitted request on their site, they called back next day. And quote took around 3 days.

What is price difference between normal and micro?
Say for 2kw setup for ex.

In Gujarat rate of 3 Kw is near 1lac with elevated structure & with subsidy . I already Install 3.2KW system at my home & now I am also become dealer of it.

I only got a quote for Micro inverter based setup from Eco Soch. I will ask them for a quote for the normal setup and check.

Could you please spell how much the quote was for the microinverter set up

why micro inverters? How is it connected to battery backup? or are you on grid?

I feel panels with inverters have less functionality and adds to failure probability if you are using a converter/inverter for battery storage.

I’m planning an on grid solution with no battery backup. From my understanding micro inverters have lesser failure probability.
I talked to the Solarify guys and they quote around 2.2 Lakhs for a 6 panel setup and said that the string inverter setup would cost around 25K less. The Ecosoch guys quoted the same amount for the micro inverter setup, but said that the String inverter setup would cost 50K less.

On grid or grid tie solar means when your utility power fails , solar will also stop giving power. So if any one is hoping that in case there is a power failure and you want to use solar power, you will disappointed.

Only off grid systems or hybird systems can give solar power when there is a power cut, most systems will also need batteries.

Do you already have a ups backup at home? If yes, then you can run these as independent systems, else i would suggest going for the regular setup.

Avoiding high power dc on roof is something you have to consider based on your home setup.

If you are keen on future capacity additions, you can still do it with 2 different modules that would serve as backup.

if inverter fails (single point failure mentioned by you) the cost of inverter is probably lower than a micro inverter panel.

I am not an expert in this, just trying to see the logic, since i want to add panels at my home. Please excuse if I am spewing nonsense :slight_smile:

1 Like

From what I understand after reading the material shared by the Eco soch guys, I see the following advantages of MicroInverters over String inverters:

1. No single point of failure. If one panel fails, the other panels still continue generating power, whereas with a String inverter setup, the panels are in series, so the whole system fails.
  2. System runs at the highest possible output. With string inverters, the output will be determined by the weakest panel in the setup.
  3. Easy to increase output in the future by adding additional panels.

Ofcourse this might be just a company emphasizing the advantages of their product over the others and ignoring the weak points.

I wanted to go with a Hybrid setup, but it looks like the cost might be too high compared to a normal on-grid setup. Also, if you live in a layout where there is a Diesel generator backup, the system gets confused between normal power and generator power, and might keep sending power back to the generator as well, which may damage the generator.
So I’m planning to go with a simple on-grid setup and then get a separate UPS for the home. I will anyway have the generator backup from the layout (which cannot be avoided as it is part of the amenities in the society). I’m planning to look at inverters that have Lithium batteries, so that there is lesser maintenance.

If microinverters are a tiny circut that goes underneath the panel (or practically connected to each panel), the what’s written above holds. Drawback being cost and maintenance / service. I remember Texas instruments (an electronic devices company) offering single module solutions way back in 2012 for this. It should be mature enough to adopt if things are right.