Discussions on News and Updates

I have read it at a lot of places to never charge the battery to 100% so that you have longer cycles, personally I prefer to charge the battery till 80-85% most of the times because a.) charges faster and b.) ability to use whatever regen I can get which only activates at 80%( I so wish Ather enables higher regen through OTA). In fact the installed capacity in both the 450 and 340 is 2.71 kWh while usable capacity is at 2.4 kWh in the 450. So, technically you never charge your battery to 100% instead it is somewhere between 85-90% charge.

2 Likes

It activates at around 83% and I think regen cannot be activated over that by an OTA. Because even charging up your Ather over 83% is when the charging velocity drops. So regen at above 83% would not be possible. I try to charge it to only 85% just so I can use regen. I wish I’m wrong and they do change it.

This is something quite a few EV manufacturers do. But in the Tesla there’s an actually option that let’s you charge up the battery to a complete 100% if you choose to, for long rides but not always. I wish Ather gave this option for longer rides. Which we could use once In a while ONLY so as to not affect the battery health much.

2 Likes

Yes, what I meant here was to enable to get higher regen whenever we do a regen braking, I remember reading it sometime last year where Tesla enabled higher regen through an OTA update for the Model 3.

2 Likes

Yes, but to enable the usage of full capacity Tesla charges a fee, for eg in the Old Model X whenever you had to replace a battery you get a battery with higher capacity but Tesla doesn’t allow you to use it fully unless you pay for the same. Also, you can select between two kind regen in a Tesla[Standard and Low] and the standard regen is quite powerful, drove a Model S earlier this year while I was in the US hence I can say with experience :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I hope they are able to do so. Shreyas said this a while back

As he says "Current regen settings ". I asked him if it’s a possibility to change the regen by an OTA. No response yet.

This was answered in 3rd owner’s meet on 25th August. There is no plan to add higher regen at present.

1 Like

I remember someone saying regen activates at 84% and below. Also, the amount of charge that’s regenerated depends on various factors like speed, charge available etc. Hope this helps

do you know when the next OTA update is scheduled for?

We were told in the 3rd Ownership meet that next OTA will be rolled out by end of Sept’2019.

3 Likes

But it’s technically possible,right?
We can hope for it in the future updates…

Yes, technically it should be very much possible. However there are plenty of effort required to implement in terms of SW change and validation. Validation is not that easy either. Unless it is validated thoroughly it may be fatal. Besides it might require approval from Automotive body too.

4 Likes

Yes it needs approvals, even I’ve heard , was talking to a friend who has a Model 3 he mentioned that using regen breaking his car almost comes to a complete halt. I would definitely we glad if one day it comes to the 450, it is so exciting to see how EVs are evolving in India :slight_smile:

1 Like

True that!

autocarindia.com: Ather Dot home charger introduced.
https://www.autocarindia.com/bike-news/ather-dot-home-charger-introduced-413991

2 Likes

it takes more time to charge than the home pod which we have… correct me if i am wrong!

Yes. It’s slow

Did you hear back from them? Even I filled the form but no confirmation yet

no

i haven’t got any update

i ringed them today in the morning

and was told to wait for call or mail, as it still 2 more days to go

ill wait until Saturday and ring again

okay