Charging Your Vehicle

@tarun @Shreyas As the delivery is delayed to a very long time, I think you people can add all the little features which you were telling that it maybe added to the later models!
Some include mobile charger and swappable batteries or removable batteries which could solve the problem of charging in apartments, quarters, hostels etc.

4 Likes

Is there a choice? I really do not see any advantage in having a Home charging point to an end user. Home charging point is vulnerable to mischievous damages too as it is static. Instead, why not charging cable? I can fold it and keep it safe inside the house.

1 Like

I Stay in Vidyaranyapura, I dont find any near by charging station , are there any plans to install one near by.

2 Likes

Sir,
I have question why you made complication in “installing home charging Point” why cant you have worked on just a simple portable charger while taking vehicle.
A simple portable charge, which would have saved your time and easy process.

Anyone ( @Ather.Team) can answer this? Technically I understand that it will have better surge protection+only Ather vehicles can be charged+Ather can read the power consumption etc…, but for an end user how is it going to benefit compared to charging cable? How will I prevent mischievous damages as it will be installed outside the house?

1 Like

not sure if this is what you are looking for but want to let you know we have an option

1 Like

@Abhishek , thanks…

1. Could you please explain how it is safer than charging cable?
  2. How user experience is made better?

Now, if I go with ‘Charge Point’, I guess I will have to pay for any mischievous damages. Or is that taken care? Will it be expensive to fix the damages? Is it waterproof? I think I need to weigh pro and cons of ‘Charge Point’ Vs ‘Charging Cable’

1 Like

Any plans of getting th Ather charging stations completely solar powered? Then we can ride the bike guilt free…almost 100% eco friendly(Excluding the manufacturing process)
Would love to have these soon!

Multiple reasons:

1. Authenticated power transfer
  2. Water resistance
  3. Has inbuilt surge protection

Reduces the number of steps required for charging each time.

With Point: Park → Plug-In → Charging → Plug-out

With Cable: Park → Open Boot → Take out and unwrap cable → Plug into wall → Plug into Vehicle → Charging → Plug out from vehicle → Plug out from wall → Wrap cable up → Store in boot

As for vandalism and mischievous damages, the same can happen to the vehicle too. It depends on the location where the installation happens.

In case a user is worried about that at their location, they can always opt for the charging cable and wall socket installation instead.

Both methods of charging have their own pros and cons, hence it is up to the user to decide what they want to go with. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Not at the moment, as the electricity to Ather Grid locations comes from the host’s meter where the installation happens.

Unless the electricity they receive is from solar, Ather Grid cannot be powered by solar. The only other way to do it would be to install a local solar setup at every location.

As a customer I would be 100% satisfied if the charging stations draw electricity from a renewable resource. I guess most of the customers will be happy too. I hope this happens soon. I will be waiting for this.

I’m pretty sure it will take more quite a lot of area than Ather gets for charging stations and the PVs installed( in small areas ) might not be efficient due to shading issues. Its better to do this at grid-scale( or solar roofs on your home ) and use that. BTW, the good news is Karnataka has 27% renewable generation[1][2] and increasing so you don’t need to worry. And in the future, once grid-scale storage becomes inexpensive either Li-ion, Sodium-ion, Vanadium Flow batteries or even carbon fibre flywheels suspended in vaccum using superconducting magentic bearings :slight_smile: to store and dispatch electricity, renewables will take over the grid, killing coal and Natgas.

[1]https://www.indiatoday.in/education-today/gk-current-affairs/story/karnataka-generates-renewable-energy-1297858-2018-07-27
[2]https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/karnataka-beats-world-leaders-in-renewable-energy-capacity/articleshow/65223516.cms

@AtherTeam Also it would be great if you could provide updates on the upcoming charging stations, where all are you guys planning to set-up.

Suppose if the charging of scooter is done at night and we forget to remove the plug throughout the night, does it affect in any way to the battery of the scooter?

The Battery Management System is programmed to cut-off the power supply when any one of these happens:

1. Batteries are fully charged (power supply to the batteries will be cut-off)
  2. Batteries are discharged (power supply from the batteries will be cut-off)
  3. Battery pack is in an extreme temperature range (power supply to and/or from the batteries will be throttled and/or cut-off depending on the system design)

Since safety is more important in automobiles, the manufacturers usually adds additional layers of redundancy, so that if one pathway fails, the other pathway immediately kicks-in to ensure fail-safe environment.

So, rest-assured the batteries will not be affected in any way even if you keep your vehicle connected to the charging point for days together.

2 Likes

Over time, the need for dedicated topics has come up. Hence, we are closing the existing threads, and splitting each category into multiple topics.

This restructuring will not only help you in finding discussions which are of your interest but will also help others find answers to questions that have already been asked and answered. The older threads will be present with read-only access.

In any case, getting yourself home charging is necessary for good battery life. I was told that regular use of the fast charging grid is detrimental to the health of the battery.

2 Likes

Yes… fast charging is only in case of urgency !

A post was merged into an existing topic: Home Charging