Charging Your Vehicle

All discussions on charging your Ather scooters, at home or at AtherGrid can be put here.

Is there a difference between the charge point meant for home and the one at AtherGrid?

Is it easy to relocate the home charging point? Do we need to depend on Ather for that or feasible be done by self?

1 Like

The public charging locations’(AtherGrid) Points support both AC as well as DC charging. Moreover, public charging Points can charge other electric vehicles using a 5A/15A wall socket.

The home Points will not have that AC wall socket, and they can only charge Ather Vehicles with AC using the vehicle’s onboard charger.

It’s not recommended to relocate the home Point, as it requires routing wiring from the meter, and hence it will be better to let it be handled by Ather. It is not designed to be installed or relocated by the user.

1 Like

What if as an Ather owner I have to ever relocate to a city or location where Ather support is not yet available. Will there be a possibility to shift it at least with the help of an expert electrician?

That should be doable :slight_smile:

What are the benefits of using ‘home charging point’ when compared with charging cable other than the charging cost refund?

For home charging point, 5 A wall socket is sufficient (similar to laptop charger with three pins) or do we need 15 A socket like the one meant for washing machines and Air Conditioners.

5A%20socket15A%20socket

1 Like

The cost of charging is refunded in either Home charging Point or using the portable charging cable.

The home charging point adds more convenience and is safer to use in case of rains or if someone tries to steal electricity. Due to authentication with home charging Point, it will not let others draw electricity from your Point.

As for the requirement, a 5A socket should do, however, if you reside in an apartment complex, and there is no charging socket in your parking location, we will get the home charging point installed by routing the wiring from your electricity meter.

In case of 340 purchase, we will install a 5A charging socket at your parking location.

How much more time it takes to charge the scooter with a home charger as compared to ather grid charger?

They AtherGrid Chargers can charge the vehicles to 80 percent in around an hour. Whereas the home charger takes 2.5 hours for the same. So approximate rate of charge is 2.5x at AtherGrid locations.

1 Like

For the Ather 450 will you also be giving the charging system which can be kept inside the scooter or only the installation of the home charging point would be given

1 Like

At the test drive i had the same question and was told that :
For the 450, given that you are getting a charging point installed at home, the charging cable will come at a additional/extra cost and not as part of the vehicle.
For the 340, you will get the 15 Amp point installed at home and the charging cable as part of the vehicle.

You will get only the home charging point with the Ather 450. The cable comes along with the 340.

is there any approval required from bescom for installing the charging point, extending from the meter board in apartments

What is the wattage that is needed to charge the batteries and how much units are consumed to charge the battery to 100%, I have my house running on solar ,I want to know what is the wire gauge to be used to set up the charging station point and socket type and power consumed in watts and amps taken to charge the battery any safety fuses or MCB to be used for additional protection going into the ather charger provided with the 450.

I have been told at the time of TD that the home charging kit with 450 looks the same as the one in Ather Grid but support only Ather vehicle. When the home kit is not a fast charging unit, what’s the extra use of fancy board where the simple plug board can serve the same purpose.

And the next doubt is, why you need sim card in the vehicle apart from collecting the data, where rest of things can be done with connecting data from our phone itself.

Pardon the noob:grimacing:

3 Likes

I agree with your opinion on the charging kit. Except for some extra safety, weather-proof functionality and anti-power theft feature, both wall-mount charging kit and charging cable have similar functionalities. I too feel that things should be kept as simple as possible.

Regarding vehicle SIM card, I guess it’s better that the vehicle has a dedicated data connectivity built-in. The mobile data tethering is very arbitrary and unreliable owing to many variables / factors.

@santsplen the charging equipment can draw upto 1kW of power and the 450 needs about 3kWh or 3 units of electricity to charge. As for the installation, our team does the charging installation audit and will take care of everything for you :slight_smile:

As mentioned earlier as well as in comments below, the home charging points not only provides safety but also adds a lot of convenience to the user who does not need to unwrap and wrap the cable for every charge.

As for the SIM card, connecting it to the phone to use data does not allow remote services that can be used only with an onboard SIM

Not required.

I always think that it is better to have replaceable batteries than to wait for one to charge. There are companies who has started this service. I would prefer to have one battery charging while other being used.