Charging without crowding

What about the new buyers ? Need to pay from day 1 ?? :melting_face:

10 Likes

In your dreams.

In all perfect scenario ( battery and motor not hot) it charges 1.5% /min till 50% then 1%/min till 80%.

So if I plug in at 10% it will take 57 min to charge till 80% which is approximately 70 rupees and converts 1 rupees/km if driven in smart eco.

In sports and ride it will be less than that too.

14 Likes

In your dreams dude. Infact, they have tweaked the charging speed with the 202328 update. Earlier, it use to take around 13 mins to charger from 70% to 80% and post the update, it takes more than 30 mins. Even charging speeds have reduced across the entire SoC range. Before the update, I use to charge from 20-80% is around 55 mins. The same now takes more around 80 mins.

@dattaram.gawas1 Have you noticed a decrease in charging speeds after the latest update (202328)?

10 Likes

Here is the expectation we all should have:

• The home charger is to be used for charging the vehicle every day.
  • The grid is to be used only for emergency purposes or for traveling a few extra kilometers.
  • It’s not ideal for someone to expect Ather to provide charging infrastructure for free forever.

Most of the replies only think about the direct expenses, such as the electricity bill. However, there are indirect charges such as the cost of the fast charger, regular maintenance, etc.

Let’s say each charge costs around 1L, who is going to pay that? We, the customers, need to pay as a tariff. The one-time payment that we made while buying the vehicle will not sustain the free model forever, even though it’s a premium price. When there is a recurring cost involved, charging the customer is the only option.

Only Ather can explain the pricing method how they derived Re.1 per Km, but for Tamil Nadu the electricity charges are not the same all the time & all the places. The cost is high if it is solely used for charging electric vehicles compared to all other commercial buildings. Also, there is a peak-time tariff during the night, which goes to 12 rupees per unit.

Considering the infrastructure cost, maintenance cost, and electricity cost, the price is somewhat fair. There should be a benefit/profit on implementing infrastructure for Ather, if not why they do?

It is always “time = money.” You may carry the portable charger and charge it at private charging stations for a lower price, if you don’t value the time.

Here is the tariff for charging electric vehicles in Tamil Nadu for FY22-23.

20 Likes

Absolutely :100: agree

2 Likes

Well put.

Let’s also not forget one of the biggest expenses, which is the payment Ather needs to make to the host businesses.

This! For some reason, I think we are a LONG way away from imbibing the EV charging etiquette as a group. What we have still not understood is that public chargers are for emergency top ups and are not a ‘get free electricity’ scheme. If we own an EV, we pay for electricity to charge it just like we pay for petrol if we own a non-EV and don’t expect the company to pay for our petrol.

And I’m truly tired of hearing people saying they paid more for EV, so somehow it entitles them to freebies. We paid for the costlier parts like the battery, and it was in no way an upfront payment in lieu of future expenses.

23 Likes

This will tackle the grid abuse for sure. It is long pending and glad that they are charging finally.

During Covid, When I went to charge Electronic City Grid, I heard from two different people that they are charging here as they live nearby and it is usually free. I was wondering what they have done to the battery health by doing this Fast Charge regularly.

Same with office Charging Infra. Many are charging it in the office regularly just because it is available.

I even know few genuine cases where they are not able to get charging point installed at home (tenants), they are finding this to be much easier to do at office. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

That’s true from both sides, if the charge time is affected at the fast charger due to circumstances outside of a customer’s per view. Where the customer’s waiting longer to get to x% of charge won’t billing the customer x₹/per min of charge be penalising them for error on the company’s side; shouldn’t it be billed by efficiency as in x₹/per x% of SoC charged. That should also incentivise grid upkeep and prompt bug redressal.

4 Likes

Not a reasonable price

7 Likes

Yeah, best case would be for Ather to ensure charging speeds can be optimal at all time without fault at their end. But, environmental factors (temperature limiting the charging speed) cannot be controlled by them.

3 Likes

I would have not buyed Ather vedhicle if I knew this was going to happen.

11 Likes

And hence the suggestion to change the metrics of billing.

1 Like

Well with this pricing of 0% to 80% for around Rs 100 seems exorbitant. It’s surely is a good time to check out Bolt.Earth with its 10 times bigger charging infrastructure and way more economical pricing. Plus there are some really cool things going on there around charging subscriptions where you can charge your EV anywhere at just Rs 199 a month. Do check that out now.

7 Likes

This announcement does not affect me as much as I am yet to use the Grid. I always charge my Ather at home. However, I want to know the psyche behind charging customers on the basis of time. Ideally, it should be on the percentage a customer tops up on their Ather so there’s parity on the amount charged. Correct me if I am wrong but won’t the fast charger slow the charging speed as it nears the 80% cut-off limit?

5 Likes

Please charge based on unit not time.

4 Likes

Does it apply for pro pack buyer as well ?

3 Likes

@abhishek.balaji 1₹ per minute from 0 to 80 costs 55 rupees, equivalent cost to bus rides. Price should be lowered. Or uptime of chargers needs to be maintained. At least add a back-up charger when one is down. More chargers need to be placed along highways for intercity travels. If you charge us, then it is value for money. If people bought the vehicle thinking cost cuttings, what is the value you are providing to your customers when you reach for the petrol price of 100cc. You expect us to not use warp mode. PS most of the chargers at night or day are in gated places which is not clearly mentioned through the app. At least make it mandatory to keep one charger at an open space where it is accessible all the time. Add public reviews of the charger in the app. Charge based on SOC. Add a grid along the way that meets your least warp mode range. Mode Switching Make it Cyclical… Warp to Eco in one right flick. @swapnil.iitm @tarun

3 Likes

Bad decision for Ather charging money for consuming electricity based on time. There is no logical reason to charge consumer as per time. Do charge based on how much unit consumer is consuming. I suspect that the main moto Ather is to make consumer not to use Ather grid.

This is like I have to pay restaurant how long I’m sitting there not for what I’m eating.,:rofl::rofl::rofl: If this continues, from my side I’ll demotivate my fellowship to buy Ather for sure.:angry::rage:

11 Likes

So what about who had purchased gen3 in 2023…?by your announcement it is clear we have to pay 100rs for 80% charge which is very high price… Now I am realising why I had purchased Ather where in market several low range ev competitive bikes are available.

Truly upset with the charges amount.

5 Likes

regret why i brought Ather 450 x pro almost 2 lakhs. If crowded increase the grid. You charge heavily to customers and now price based on timing. If there is option take back ur vehicle and refund my money. i will buy from other brand. I brought 20 days before. Sales person told it would be free as it is pro pack. Why u dont know during production and sales that crowding will increase? Now ur putting blame on customer and you want to suck their money? If you give a commitment you should stick to it. Announcing fancy schemes and attracting customers and ditching those customers from which your company became famous. Is this a strategy?@abhishek.balaji @swapnil.iitm

10 Likes