Charging at Ather Grid

Oh Okay - I thought that Hosur Plant was on the way (like SIPCOT). So, that’s ruled out.

How does the 2.0 charger works even without proper grounding?

Yeah, I don’t want to charge for 100% as it will take lot of time from 80-100. I planned for a top-up which will be very quick (30-40 mins max) because it is a not a one-off trip.

From 80-100, how much time does it take for every 5% charge? Ather website does not show that anymore for Ather 450.

Approximate Plan:

• Start with 100% Charge from Marathahalli Bridge
  • Reach Ather Grid (24 km) with 67% SOC
  • Charge upto 85% SOC (40 mins)
  • Travel from Ather Grid -> Hosur -> 15 km Travel -> Ather Grid (73 kms)
  • Charge upto 45% SOC (40 mins)
  • Travel back to Marathahalli Bridge (19 kms)

Before Covid my usual solo range is 80+. But, with 1 year battery degrade, I think it would have reduced to 75 km. It will be too tight for me to complete 73 km with 85% charge. When coming back, if there is any public charging point, it will be safe as a backup.

Definitely not. It wouldn’t have lost so much range.

40mins will get you closer to 90%+ from 67% so it’s doable. I remember charging once for an hour from 60% to 97% at a grid point.

1 Like

If 90% can be done in 40 mins, then it’s a good news.

Not able to shut-down is a killer wastage here… that will unnecessarily loose 4% if I stay for half a day or so. Some times, I think I should keep shutting down at high SOC and make it die so that Ather can fix it, instead of having this issue back of the mind all the time.

Can any frequent users of Electronic City grid tell me how reliable it is (frequent down time, crowded etc…)

You have a 450x, right? Is the shutdown bug still there in the 450x? I thought it was a 450 thing up to a certain VIN#

No, Unfortunately, I have Ather 450 (old v1 batch which has this bug)

1 Like

Their are 2 points in electronic city grid but only one work and its pretty free based on what i have seen. But if their is power cut then grid also goes offline.

Incase of any emergency feel free to reach out to me , my home is just 5 mins from ather grid and i have a dot charger in our apartment can help you for quick charge.

2 Likes

Do it. Nothing wrong in doing so. But do it when you won’t need your scooter for a while :sweat_smile:
Our portable chargers are fast but really unreliable too.

Try it out once at a grid point.

1 Like

Today I thought to do a dry run. Activated Connect lite and to my surprise it was activated immediately (mine expired few months back).

The dashboard was too slow when selecting the electronic City grid from the list. The list was jumping to top every time I scroll down.

So, searched the location “Ather grid electronic City”. But, unfortuantely that was wrong location (screenshot attached). From there, I used Ather app and went to right location. Because of this, wasted 4+ kms approximately.

Reached grid with 72% SOC (Covid Sunday traffic got good range). Kept it for charging and waiting for 90%

Btw, both chargers are working now.

2 Likes

Update: I charged for 40 minutes and SoC went up from 72% to 92%. Started to Hosur at 4:45 PM.

I reached hosur with 66% charge. From my place, travelled for some 7 kms inside town.

Then, started at 5.55 PM with 61% charge left. My plan was to do a quick 15 minute top up at Electronic City grid before heading back to Marathahalli bridge.

But, I was getting good range throughout. By the time I reached Electronic City, I still had 30% charge left. Given the confidence, I thought to skip charging and go home directly.

If at all, doubtful after going inside City, I thought to use grid from HSR layout. But, reached home with 7% charge left.

So far, this is my best efficiency for a long ride. :slight_smile:

So, with 30 minutes charge on both ways, I can easily do a round trip to Hosur.

Thanks everyone for your inputs.:+1:

6 Likes

Despite the claims, I feel Eco mode is very inefficient while going thru flyovers. Because, when you are using ride mode or sport mode, if you are at decent speed (50 kmph) before elevation starts, you can use the momentum to ride without much throttle.

But, with Eco mode, you need to use full throttle throughout the elevation, which is less efficient. This also reduces the speed during downhill without throttling.

At 16% charge, forcing the user to Eco mode is actually counter productive. Also, if someone knows their destination is nearby (let’s say 5 km), Eco mode is unnecessary.

Is there a technical reason why this threshold cannot be reduced to 10% or less?

2 Likes

Apparently so. The battery can’t really provide the current required for the power of sports or ride mode. You can notice that at <8% the scooter gets even slower than eco mode. ( limp mode)
I actually was in a position where I was able to keep the scooter in sports mode at 14% SoC and the power was only marginally lesser than it normally is when at 20% but porbably not good for the battery

1 Like

If battery health is going to be affected, then it’s okay. Otherwise 10% might be a better threshold than 16%.

Also, about the charging speed, when I plugged out at 92%, it still showed still 1 hour 22 minutes remaining. In fact from 91 to 92, it took over 5 minutes. I think time will exponentially increase for every km after 80.

@abhishek.balaji - Can you share the charging speed during 80-85, 85-90, 90-95, 95-100?

You are looking at lithium charging cycle.

Li ion battery University

I guess the vertical dotted line just after 1h in the X axis denotes the 85-90% section. It sucks (not current) after that. So in the end, it takes as much time as 20-80% in some cases to get from 80 to 100.

PS: if you don’t like it, let us invent a new battery technology. DM your number to me. :wink:

3 Likes

I think a simpler fix in our old 450s is to give us a top charging buffer. Instead of the lower buffer which we barely get to anyway.
The 450s have about 12% in the battery when indicated 0% if we had that 12% at the top or at least 6 +6% it would increase charging speed up to 90% instead of the 84% right now. The 450 Plus and to an extent the 450X charge relatively faster at 80+% especially so the 450Plus. Because of their top buffer
I think majority of us end up charging the scooter to 100% rather than drain under 20% so it makes more sense to give us the buffer at the top. :person_shrugging: Better for the battery. Faster charging too.

1 Like

Thats true… Keep 6 percent buffer at both ends. Is it just theory or technically feasible to implement?

Well, they’ve done it in the 450 Plus. So I’m sure it’s doable.

Oh Okay, I wasn’t aware… @abhishek.balaji can answer it better on why it cannot be done for Ather 450?

A suggestion to have Ather grid charging point at Atibele.

That will serve as good as Royal Airavat grid point serves for people who are taking long rides through outskirts of the city.

Hi, Do I have an image of how the 1st gen Ather 450 onboard charger looks like. Coz I have the 450 n 450x S1 only. My 450 doesn’t have a onboard charger in it