Changing Stock Tyres

I got my tyres switched to the Michelin ones at around 5K kms. Have the perfect condition stock tyres available at home for anyone who wants them. Please WhatsApp me at 9845034001 if you need the stock tyres.

Billed around Rs. 2200 for a single tyre. WOW!!! its pricey.

Sounds like a billing error, as the MRP for the tyre should be lesser than that. The Michelin City Pro was 1290 on Amazon when I bought it, the stock tyre was probably around 900 or 1000.

1 Like

Nope, it’s for single tyre. See the bill attached.

1 Like

HI, EVEN I ENQUIRED ABOUT THE SAME, THE SAID THE SAME THING, THAT IT WILL VOID THE WARRANTY , so better stay away from it.

1 Like

Does everyone take old tires back at that price approximately?

I have my service scheduling to be done next month for 10k kms(Ather 450)

I was thinking of getting the tyres changed to timsum.

1. What is the take on it? 2.If I get the tyres myself,will it be changed by the service team who take it for service because I don’t want to get it fixed outside…?
1 Like

Moved it to the right thread, you can find some recommendations from posts above.

You can get the tyres changed at the service center if you provide the tyres.

2 Likes

I’ve read on the forums and noticed that many people switched to new tyres as they were unhappy with the stock MRF tyres.

Somewhere I also read that with Ather 450x we will be having an option to choose between stock tyres which will focus on range and performance tyres focusing on performance and hence less range.

I wasn’t able to get details about the brand and other info about the performance tyres.

If someone can summarise it here, it would be helpful :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Those details are not yet out. Should be revealed closer to the delivery dates (now don’t look up for the meaning of “Closer” in the dictionary :slight_smile: )

5 Likes

one of the 7 month old youtube review showed TVS remora tires, front 100/80-12" and rear 110/80-12".

We’ll have to wait till ather confirms

1 Like

Anyone else wish that the rear tyre valve should be on the right side than left? absolutely tough to fill air :frowning:

9 Likes

Truly difficult to fill air. I get a look by the guy at the petrol station every single time. But the disc is on the right side and tends to get pretty hot and is a burn risk while filling up air.

10 Likes

I see the same inconvenience continue in 450X too!! This should be changed…

2 Likes

Yes very much. I always feel scared when connecting my pump to valve. :neutral_face:

3 Likes

Well I guess inconvenience>injury. It’s just a trade off of having a rear disc break. I don’t know if it can be changed.

1 Like

@hemanth.anand got this changed to a straight valve. He could probably help explain what the experience has been.

2 Likes

it can be. they have to plan to put it on the other side…

I’ve removed the saree guard on my 450. It makes filling air slightly easier.

7 Likes

As I said, :sweat_smile: the other side has the disc brake which tends to get pretty hot and it’s dangerous to put the valve on that side. I straight valve could decrease the problem, but well it is a risk if you end up filling pressure from the right.

1 Like

The issue is seen in Ather 450 because both sides of the small size wheel have something on the hubs. Pulley in left side and disc on the right. No other scooter has disc brakes at the rear. Removing the rear tyre is also hence not as easy as other scooters.This issue is not faced in motorcycles as the wheel diameter is big. So it was a conscious decision by Ather’s Engineers to have the nozzle facing away from the discs. The reason is clearly written by @Suraj_madhu.

It’s the same reason why the nozzle on the front is facing right.

I’m very uncomfortable with something that’s out of symmetry and I always thought the front disc should’ve been on the right and front nozzle facing left. Anyway that’s for another day :slight_smile:

It’s a problem for sure but shifting to the other may not be the best solution. So the best way to fill air at the petrol bunk is to position the scooter so as to have the nozzle to the rear side than on top like in the picture. That’ll give the maximum possible space

Removing the saree guard is also a good option to give more space. That is if no saree clad woman will ever sit one sided on the pillion seat of your scooter.

Yes I did change and now there is no issue for the guy at the petrol bunk to fill air.

But the real reason for me to change was not really lack of space, but I feel that because we apply force in the horizontal direction, the valve moves and I feel it is one of the reasons for faster air pressure reduction that we observe in Athers. As if to reinforce that, After the change to straight valve, air pressure loss has been very slow in my scooter.

With the side one I was also worried that I might injure myself, the straight one has it’s drawback too.

While it is easier for the guy at the petrol bunk, my own air compressor is almost impossible to connect. This is because of the end valve…petrol bunks have that hemishpere shaped valve. My own air compressor had the cylidrical threaded type. I’m looking for the hemisphere kind of attachment. To solve this issue.

6 Likes