Auto cut off turn indicators

Lucky you. I still need to do formula 1 type wide turns to trigger itšŸ˜‚

1 Like

I purchased Ather 450 three weeks back. The turn indicator hasto be manually switched off every time, even after taking an U turn! Plz suggest to resolve this. Thanks
Hariharan K

Ather uses an IMU unit to detect a turn. Next time you do a turn, think of yourself as Rossi and do the Formula 1 style knee out- bend down steep - angle turn and see if that triggers the auto cutoff

2 Likes

Ordered Rossiā€™s attire! Shall inform the moment it is activated.

7 Likes

I doubt 90/90 section tyres can handle a MotoGP style turn. Rossi sure would be proud if one tried it on an Ather though. :joy:

Couple of weeks back, I got my Ather serviced for the first time (6 months or 5k kms)ā€¦ Because of Covid, I could not use the vehicle immediately after getting the vehicle back.

Last week, when I took for a ride, I observed the turn indicators to be little erraticā€¦

Yesterday, I had to use the vehicle again and I saw the same problem but this time it did not work even once. When I engage any turn (left or right), it stayed on ONLY for .5 secondsā€¦

So, called up customer care to check. They told me to try reset (Brakes + Power On). I told them I shut-down and restarted and it did not help. But, I was asked to try resetting once.

Though I didnā€™t have much hope (as shutdown + start did not help), reset solved the issue :smiley:

1. I wasnā€™t sure why this problem occurred?
  2. Wondering what is the difference between shutdown + start AND reset?

The reset using the brakes is a hard reset it resets just the dashboard in case of screen freezes, the drive motor continues to work in the background. A shutdown on the dashboard is a complete shutdown of the motor and stops any battery drain and background activity.

Reminds you of windows no?. I had this issue while standing at the guest parking at IBC after picking up my bike post servicing. I called the service engineer back and he just did the hard reset.

2 Likes

Strangely it is custom Linux in the dashboard. Hope Android will be even better in x.

1 Like

Had the same problem 2 days backā€¦ Before bothering customer careā€¦ I reset my scooterā€¦ And everything was fine.

Learned this after a couple of tries. The first thing customer care tells is to try resetting the vehicle.

1 Like

I feel that rear turn indicators are not clearly visible to drivers behind ather, especially cars, busses and trucks. Ather owners, did you guys had problems with visibility of turn indicators to rear vehicles? I think it is problem with all the scooters

As Iā€™ve observed, the auto turn-off is switched off mostly in ride/ sports mode, seldom in eco mode. it turned out that the turn off response is good when tilting the vehicle while turning (as one does during high-speed turn as against at low speed - eco mode) rather than turning straight. I.e., the sensors are designed to measure the inclination of the vehicle rather than turning. I feel to mitigate this, it is better to depend on magnetic north rather than gravity within the sensor. Further, regarding visibility of rear turn indicators, Iā€™ve observed that since the turn indicators are positioned below the seat, its visibility is restricted to the immediate vehicle behind Ather in close proximity, while it is well visible from a distance. However, it is not a problem during night since one part of the scooter would be illuminated by the yellow lights. Being in close proximity behind Ather not being able to identify the indicator would be quite dangerous. Iā€™ve observed this in another Ather just in front of me.

2 Likes

It only turns off after you make a physical turn Sometimes if its a small curve Iā€™ve noticed it doesnā€™t turn off. Otherwise it doesnā€™t turn off while waiting

Last week, I took my Ather after a gap of 10 days. Again, the indicator stopped working. Both LEFT and RIGHT turn indicators had the same problem. (I am not referring to auto cut-off, the indicators does not engage at all. Last time it resolved after soft reset)

Based on last 3 occurrences in 3 months, I noticed it happens whenever I take vehicle after a break (1 week or more).

@Ather.Team If this is a known issue, can this be fixed during OTA?

This is a safety problem. Because, last time when this happened, I was in the middle of outer ring road and I am realising this indicator problem only when I tried to engage indicator to move to the service road and it was not working.

I just dont depend on auto cut off feature. Probability of the feature working for me is around 10%. Either it cuts off before the turn is taken, it never cuts off even after the turn is taken, It cuts off while the turn is being takenā€¦if a turn is taken with vehicle in vertical position (without slant) as in slow turning, the feature never works. So i dont rely on this feature. I switch it off manually or if I find that the indicators turn off before or while taking a turn i switch on again.

Whether the auto cut off works on timer or inclinaiton of the vehicle or position of the handle bar (steering position): i am unable to figure out.

I guess it is inclination because some times when I turn them on it does not cutoff and I incline to the direction of my turn it goes off.

Itā€™s a known bug and weā€™re checking for the cause of it. Will be fixed in one of the upcoming OTAs. If it persists after a soft reset, do get your horn switch checked by the service team.

Thanks Abhishek for confirming it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for the update.

2 Likes