Ather scooter sound and fan

Nothing surprising, really. The scooter is advertised very loudly and clearly as “silent”. In reality, it is anything but silent. So regardless of personal opinions, you cannot be surprised when people make an issue about it.

I can confirm that the fan is not temperature dependent. It turns on when the motor speed goes over 3000 / 3500 RPM. If you manage to trigger it when the vehicle isn’t moving, you can feel nice vibrations traveling through the seat up your pants. Reminds me of a certain Clarkson quote from his BAC Mono review.

There is no denying the fact that the scooter has massive NVH issues. Whether one chooses to learn to like it or make an issue of it is entirely subjective. What is not subjective is that the company’s advertising is false.

10 Likes

The sound is coming from our imagination :star_struck:

1 Like

Where exactly?

3 Likes

Ah! Welcome to the land of the living.

There’s more where that came from, if you’d like to eat crow again.

PS: Still no word about the return and refund of my Dot charger.

PPS: Enjoy some more bonus false advertisement and take a long, hard look at yourselves as a company:

8 Likes

Ouch. That’s gotta burn :joy:

But for reals, I don’t really mind the noise or the vibrations from the floorboard. I think it adds to the character of the vehicle.

5 Likes

You like it. I get it. I don’t, as do many others. That’s our prerogative.

“Character” is just a euphemism we all use to make peace with niggles in our vehicles. (not trying to criticize you here, just making a statement.)

All I ask for is truth and transparency from someone who now has a large chunk of my bank balance.

6 Likes

It was made pretty clear by @abhishek.balaji that the Bluetooth feature is rolled out for people who actually volunteered for Beta.They are rolling out updates for bluetooth in batches to make sure if there are any bugs in the final version it should not seep through to the entire fleet of athers. I hope you will get it soon. +/- 10 days is acceptable for a feature that they have been working on from ages. Regarding the sound i guess you can always get it checked at the ather service since mine was okay they made few changes in the belt alignment and mine is literally noise free. Although i do love the wheee !! sound.

4 Likes

Well I can confirm that it is both temperature and speed dependant(hence rpm of motor dependant). And it’s got 2 levels of speed as of now. The initial speed is triggered at 12-13kmph and the second higher speed is at >40kmph or so. But they switch on only when the temperature of the motor is high. I’ve ridden 40-50Km without triggering the fan even once. And there have been times where ive triggered it within 2 Km of riding it also.

7 Likes

The scooter was completely cold and the rear wheel was up in the air. As soon as the motor crossed 3000 RPM, the fan kicked in and was quite noisy and rumbly. Because the rear wheel was in the air and shaking the entire scooter, I didn’t hold it at a higher speed to notice the second stage of the fan. Stage 1 was unrefined enough.

They had an amazing opportunity to use some ducting and harness headwind to cool the motor, controller and the display unit, and they went with noisy fans instead. I’m not sure what the engineering department is up to, exactly. This is also something I plan to remedy soon.

You might want to recheck your timelines. This feature was marketed as an integral part of the 450X, which means this should have been out in December. So it isn’t +/- 10 days, but + /- a few months.

The scooter did go in for a full checkup less than 10 days after delivery, and belts were adjusted, but the rumble was unchanged. And what I was told is that this is how things are, and nothing can be done about it.

So I’ve now taken it upon myself to find a solution.

This noise is deliberate and precisely calibrated. They have test data to ensure that it is no louder than it needs to be. Let’s see Ather come out with a nominal decibel value that they deem acceptable, or an acceptable vibration level. The noise in this case is not intentional. It is simply being repackaged to make it more palatable.

3 Likes

Yes I totally understand where you guys are coming from! I do wish they made it clear that the vehicle is one of the noisiest EV’s out there.

But for me personally, being a petrol head and loving all my exhaust noises. The Ather’s noise was one of the major reasons I went for it. I don’t think it’s a good idea for any EV to be completely silent for a variety of reasons. In many other countries it’s already mandatory for EVs to make some artificial noise at low speeds for pedestrian safety. I’d rather the vehicle have some true noise than artificial noise that is being pumped out through some speakers. And for me that is always going to be a characteristic trait and not a niggle.

1 Like

Well you should have asked for it before booking the vehicle or while going into the showroom to have a test ride. It’s a startup blackworks, there is always little bit of extension in the deadlines. Either you can accept it or complain. There is not much you can do about it. If you get the belt removed by yourself outside showroom you warranty is void anyways.

2 Likes

The tought process or lack thereof behind my purchase has been made evidently clear in my previous posts on the forum and I’m not going to repeat myself here.

Interesting. So you’re saying that startups are entitled to lies?

Yes. And I complain.

There’s plenty I can do about it. Maybe I’ll write about it too once things are done and determined to be working.

Couldn’t care less about the warranty. I took the thing apart after the company made it abundantly clear that they could not fix the problem.

2 Likes

They did not lie. Early adopters like us already have the updated bluetooth softwares. The hardware issue you have is nothing i can actually comment in but regarding the features they are meeting the deadlines.

1 Like

The deadline was missed months ago, so please drop the assertions. It’'s all about damage control now.

They lied, repeatedly. First when there was a big banner showing off UI features that customers couldnt find for months, and secondly by updating it with a note that it would be available in March, which it still isn’t. It doesn’t take a genius to figure out that this is the definition of lying.

1 Like

I get it you have problems with your vehicle. No bluetooth updates and so on.Just hold on for few days you will get it anyways. No point in venting out here in the forum. Its not going to make your life easy.

1 Like

Really? Please elaborate on the difficulties you foresee, now that your well of weak justifications for the company’s behavior has run dry.

4 Likes

It has not run dry, but its just you dont understand the basics. There is no point in fighting with an owner. Its not like i had a smooth ride with the experience. I even left the vehicle in the service centre threating them to keep the vehicle for themselves as it was not exactly what the company promised. After 2 days they did solve the issue. Every company let it be Ather or Maruti suzuki will have issues like these. You also have to consider they have a very limited work force in the software department. They missed the deadline because they were making sure it was compatible with the security patches in iOs and android. Its not as easy as typing here in the blog. It takes several iterations. Its completely your perception how you see this company. It can be a villian if you keep venting or you can take the vehicle leave it there, take a loaner, come back home. Don’t take the delivery of the vehicle unless you are fully satisfied. You can also ask to replace the whole motor assembly as it is covered under warranty. It all depends on you how you handle it and they cannot deny this according to rules and regulations. You can always sue them for this.

3 Likes

Yes.And I see them as one that started well and have lost the plot now, which is why I will nt give them any benefit of doubt, or continue to deal with the nonsense they put out.

I’m as entitled to this as you are to giving them all the benefit of doubt. It’s subjective. Their false announcements, however, are hard facts, and no amount of you trying to tell me otherwise is going to change any of that.

I understand basic English. That’s all it takes.

2 Likes

Mod note: please keep the discussions to the subject of the topic and don’t derail.

4 Likes

:grinning: ROFL

If Ather’s flight simulated sound is irritating to anyone, what if RoyalEnfeld eletric version is launched. I saw many of my friends brought a bullet beacuse of it’s exhaust tone. Irrespctive of EV or ICE, RE without its original sound is cannot be imagined. World cannot welcome that version of RE but most of us fine with Ather’s sound.

1 Like