Ather 450X Discussions

I am planning to visit the Ather Experience store today, guys let me know if you have any specific queries. I’ll try to get response from there…

I think they are listening to bank balance not customer feedback :wink:
else at least redesigned rear-view mirror will be there in 450x

2 Likes
  1. What may the extra subscription plan be(for service and maintenance) for the 450x?
  2. Will the 450 be discontinued? And if so when would they do it? What if you have pre-ordered 450 now?
    Thank you @vkj123

In online reviews they are saying rear wheel lock which was there when they introduced 450 is still there in 450x and same useless mirror’s.only thing they have resolved is connectivity problem and laggy dashboard by going to Android. Even range of 85 km from existing 450’s 75 km doesnt justify the upfront price they asking. Was so excited for 450x seeing they went to different 21700 type battery which existing owner’s had thought would bring in more range so that no more need to worry about efficiency while driving but they didn’t do all these. Even after reduction of 10kg weight and new battery just 10km more range and 2 sec more quicker than 450 ?

2 Likes

Okay, guys, so I have started noticing a worrying trend since last evening on the forum: people asking others to list the problems they are facing with Ather with the sole intention of dissing Ather.
While I understand that a lot of us are frustrated about our 450X ownership plan going down the drain, and some of us are looking to find some social validation to justify canceling our pre-orders, things are not as grim as they seem - at least for now. I would strongly urge you all to NOT jump the gun passing on our assumptions as hard facts till we get an official word on our doubts.
For every one person being vocal on this forum about how much he/she is disappointed with their Ather, I’m sure there are 5 others who are very satisfied with the scooter for the quality and attention-to-detail. I have owned the scooter for around 9 months now and I must say that apart from a few things Ather needs to address (the updates have started giving me headaches with their bugs!), the overall hardware and R&D behind it is designed to last and I have ZERO regrets of buying one.
I understand the @Ather.Team completely botched the launch with badly planned pricing models, I think we should give them a few weeks and see if they can come out with a better plan for people who pre-ordered.
Just my thoughts, before this forum turns extraordinarily negative, unlike how it was for months and months before that!

11 Likes

I believe, Bajaj Chetak’s rear wheel is belt driven or swing arm sort, only iQube is hub mounted.

You are correct. Most 450 owners who were at the launch are planning to move to 450X

2 Likes

There will be no higher subsidy from April 2020 for EVs that too with higher motor rating. Govt already announced very good EV subsidies and GST cuts for the EVs that have decent range and performance. There is no point even in asking higher subsidies for performance EVs which will not increase the adoption of EVs.

Currently, central govt is giving subsidy of Rs 10,000 per kWh of battery capacity. Average battery pack prices as per Bloomberg 2019 survey is $156 (Rs 11,000) per kWh. Even if we assume $200 (Rs 14,000) price for Indian companies, subsidy covers almost 70% of the battery costs. In addition to subsidy, govt reduced GST from 28% to just 5% for EVs. For scooter with ex factory price of Rs 1 lakh petrol models have to pay Rs 28,000 in GST while for EV scooters it will be just 5,000.

2 Likes

Exactly!! I have been using 450 from last few days with an average 30-32 km daily commute it works like a charm! I have Zero complaints as of now and 450 is one of the best scooters out there. A person who’s scooter has zero issues will not even check the forum. If you look into to the complaint section same person would have repeated the complaints every now and then.

Some of you folks are cancelling 450 cause you are not happy with 450X pricing!! 450 is a great scooter and I can vouch for it. OTA updates and support are guaranteed for at least next 3 years don’t miss out on a great scooter.Go for lease so that you are playing safe. Ather might even change it’s strategy and come out with a mass appealing long range scooter after 3 years. Fingers crossed.

10 Likes

Your indicates that you trying to write a positive feedback on your purchase, however, you too feel it’s overpricing sheer for small upgrades.

Indeed. Ather set out to develop a best-in-the-class scooter that won’t get obsolete for a few years down the line, and ended up with a pricey model. You can get an insight into their thinking and priorities if you read this interview:
https://www.teslaclub.in/post/interview-with-ravneet-arun-from-ather-energy

So what if Ather 450X isn’t for you? All the more reason to be sure about buying an Ather 450. If your usage is not more than 40-50 km per day, then Ather 450 is the best 2-wheeler money can buy in the Indian market today!
They have promised software and hardware (4G, etc.) upgrades for the future, so be assured you won’t have any regret buying this.

2 Likes

You mean the 450?

Yes! :slight_smile: Can’t speak of 450X for now. I’m hoping for a better deal too :wink:

3 Likes

So does that mean that most of the people are not liking the pricing of the scooter??
And moreover
@Ather.Team told that they have decided to launch a scooter recently but i feel they have veen working on it for so many months and they have not even informed us that time so that their sales dont go down
Ridiculous strategy done by @Ather.Team

I must agree. The 450 is a good vehicle for my daughter and she loves it. For 1.13 lakh plus 6000 for ather service subscription. I love the value for money

5 Likes

All I am trying to say is that I am happy with with my affordable 450. I used to spend 1400 on petrol every month. When compared to ICE scooters 450 is cheaper on my pocket on long term basis, even though one gets their battery replaced after 3 years it still works out economically.

450X doesn’t work like that, 1L upfront along 2k/m subscription irrespective of kms being driven doesn’t make any sense financially to someone like me. 450X is for those who want an upgrade/are not satisfied with present 450’s speed and performance/want to feel exclusive on road. For a 30+ something Home-Office-groceries commuter like me 450 is lighter on my pocket and works like a charm.

5 Likes

Hello @Ather.Team . I was very much excited for owning 450X, but I am highly disappointed with the subscription model for 450x. 1 Lac + 2K for pro subscription per month is just too much. And the increase in range between 450 and 450X is just 10Km, but the price difference is around 50K(for outright purchase) is not justified even though with additional smart connectivity features.

As we are buying scooter, so primary objective of which is to go from point A to B comfortably, economically while the smart features comes secondary but looking as the subscription model we are paying subscription for the smart features and battery insurance.

I had test drive 450 here in Pune and I loved the vehicle. But the 450X with subscription model is just out of reach for me.

And as Ather will only be selling 450X in cities other than Bangalore and Chennai. So we ppl have no option to to buy 450 if we want to.

Please revisit the subscription model and provide the scooter with basic features without any subscriptions and for premium features you can have subscription as per ones requirement, like one subscription plan for battery insurance, another for service and repairs etc. Users who need will subscribe to the plans as his likings.

4 Likes

Wow the forum is so active still. I hope the clarifications are provided soon
After a night of digesting the news i had a think about what i expected vs what we got

1. 450x range improvement @ 20kms (vs) only 10km but considering the real range acheived in 450, i am not too worried for this so long as 2 is considered.
  2. Fast charging at double current rate (vs) 50% increase is still huge, if you think you can stop for 15 minutes at a charger to get a topup from 20% it is ok. So what will make this better is a better charging infra
  3. Power and performance slight improvement (vs) got more than what i expected based on first ride reviews. I reserve judgement for later when i can test ride.
  4. Improved dashboard and updates to network card (vs) android open source experience with 4g and bluetooth this in itself warrants a few thousand depending on how much it will cost 450 owners to update.
  5. Pricing at 1.5 laks on road (30 k more than 450 in chennai) for the new model if all above met (vs) 1.6 laks exshowroom for the 450x pro, this is a bit much for me but i would still consider buying based on what updates current 450 gets for point 4. Please note this is only for the pro model.
    What i did not even dream about is the 450x plus. in outright purchase i am getting the 450 at significantly higher price, with 450 booking still open, i wouldn’t ever go for this.

Now about the subscription
Subcription plan for pro still makes sense to me. It is similar to the lease with buyout at 4 years. so what are you paying for? the interest, the connect subscription and one year extended warranty. the total cost at the end of 4 years is only 35k (calculation below) more.
even at 10%, the interest on 60k (159-99) works out to 24k. so you are effectively paying 12k for 4 years connect and saving 1k. if buyout is reasonable, it is going to be good/better than outright purchase.
For the plus subscription, the difference is exactly the same, but the battery warranty is not really a concern because battery has locked capacity, so it is not real value when compared to the pro.

I am ready to discuss these points if someone is interested.
Me depending on what will happen to 450 touchscreen and 3g will go for either the 450 or the 450x pro.

2 Likes

same case here mehul. looks like i will decide on 450 only as of now.
not cancelling the booking of x

1 Like

Okay. I agree. But buying a brand new 450 now when the company itself is going to discontinue sales doesn’t seem good for me…I mean eventually they will move to 4G and with 4G their subscription definitely will become high… Correct me if I’m wrong.

2 Likes