Ather 450X Discussions

Between the Tesla Model S and Model 3, there was a Model X. :wink:

3 Likes

Is there any chance of having a new set of rear view mirrors for the 450X considering that the current ones aren’t necessarily the best for on-road commute? And also seeing as to how the 450X is still in the beta stages maybe a change can be done with respect to the mirrors before they are rolled into full production.

Hehe… Does this mean a model 3 type scooter is coming next? :joy:… That would be great

Hey @darthveda,

+1 on your username :smiley:

The actual price of the Ather 450 would be much much higher if we were to even break-even on the cost at which we produce it. We have been selling it at that price point because we wanted to create a market for EVs. And we can assure you that no one can make a scooter that has the specs of the Ather 450 at a cost that will justify its old price of 1.13 Lacs (On Road Bengaluru). If you observe, recently launched EV Scooters from the likes of Bajaj & TVS have far lower specs but the same price as that of the existing Ather 450. And even on that they are making losses!

Hence, the 1 lakh price of 450 was an artificially maintained price and it had to go up for it to become sustainable for us. And more importantly, for the market to be anchored properly. Basically, if we kept selling one of the best scooters in the country (perhaps in the world) at such a low price, how would others price their lower-spec but decent EV scooters any higher?

Even 450X has been priced just about at the point where we will barely break - that too if we sell a loooooottttt… of vehicles next year. So, despite our best efforts and best interest, we could not have prices the 450X any lower. We could only try to make it more accessible to as many people as possible - which is what we tried to do with the subscription model.

1 Like

Hi @lajith4u,

Subscription is not mandatory. You can purchase it upfront, and choose to not take any subscription along with it. This would mean that data services and related features would not work.

This is true for traditional OEMs, where they sell you a product and then that’s it. But the 450X is much more than that, with it’s constantly evolving nature. There are software updates every few months, that bring in new features, improvements and fixes. Apart from that, we do incur costs such as the navigation features, data storage and pipeline costs, and software development costs. it’s only fair that we ask you to pay for these as we consistently provide these services.

3 Likes

Hi @ydigwal88,

85k is the upfront price in Delhi that you’d have to pay if you’re going for the subscription model. In this, 85k gets you the scooter, without the cost of the battery factored in. The monthly subscription allows you to pay the cost of the battery over time, and includes Ather Charge (with unlimited charging at Ather Grid, OTA updates, data and connectivity charges, and data storage and pipeline costs).

This post should hopefully clear up your questions: Discussions on pricing and subscriptions

Hey @thesravan,

Answered this to another question:

The actual price of the Ather 450 would be much much higher if we were to even break-even on the cost at which we produce it. We have been selling it at that price point because we wanted to create a market for EVs. And we can assure you that no one can make a scooter that has the specs of the Ather 450 at a cost that will justify its old price of 1.13 Lacs (On Road Bengaluru). If you observe, recently launched EV Scooters from the likes of Bajaj & TVS have far lower specs but the same price as that of the existing Ather 450. And even on that they are making losses!

Hence, the 1 lakh price of 450 was an artificially maintained price and it had to go up for it to become sustainable for us. And more importantly, for the market to be anchored properly. Basically, if we kept selling one of the best scooters in the country (perhaps in the world) at such a low price, how would others price their lower-spec but decent EV scooters any higher?

Even 450X has been priced just about at the point where we will barely break - that too if we sell a loooooottttt… of vehicles next year. So, despite our best efforts and best interest, we could not have prices the 450X any lower. We could only try to make it more accessible to as many people as possible - which is what we tried to do with the subscription model.

Here’s the answer for that problem.

The centre stand has to be the shape of an H.

The top two ’arms’ bolt in to the side of the frame, the bridge of the ’H’ is to the lower side of the lower arms - and you have a centre stand.

The upper arms are ’bolted to the frame with bearings for stability.

The OS itself will be locked down and we’ll take all possible security measures. That being said, this warrants a longer conversation, and I’ll try get a blog about this from our product team :slight_smile:

Now for the GDPR-esque questions:

Android OS would have access to the hardware, but similar to current 450 dashboards, it won’t affect your riding.

We’ve written about the data points collected and how they’re used here: A Full-er Stack: Building a data pipeline inside and outside a vehicle

There’s no 3rd party access to the dashboard, so none.

Check this post for answers to all of them: Discussions on pricing and subscriptions

I’ll have to get back on this.

Similar to the 450 lease plans, exact modalities have not been finalizied. Will share details when we do.

Lithium batteries do degrade in two ways - calendar aging and usage aging. The estimate for replacement was the 450, where we guarantee that the battery pack would not go below 70% within 3 years. Even if the battery pack is at 75-80%, you’ll experience minor degradation in performance and range. The subscription pack is for those who do not want to compromise on the performance or range.

Under the subscription packs, if it dips below 80%, we install a new one for you.

More details on the differences between the two pricing models: Discussions on pricing and subscriptions

I don’t know if this was said in any of the couple hundred post since this post. But what tharun said was. With the current 450 architecture. It’s just not possible to pack a higher range battery pack. They have made it really really tight to fit the new battery in. And with the current battery tech. This could be the highest energy density that Ather can pack on the 450. If they had to put in a bigger battery they’d have to rethink the WHOLE design of the scooter. I’m sure in the future Ather will bring their other platform. To provide higher range.

This is so true. The bottom line is that very few people need a significantly higher acceleration and smarter scooter. Maybe the latter was required but that’s up for debate too.

I know tharun said this. But just wondering. If you are accelerating 0-60 in 6odd seconds, perhaps a motorcycle would be a more convenient and safer 2 wheeler to be on? So that logic is debatable. Then again. The athers seat isn’t designed to be ridden for such long distances too. Ather keeps saying that from the present customer data it’s clear that people don’t need more range right. Why is it that Ather is taking their scooters data to say this ? If people used it more than 40-50Km they wouldn’t have bought the Ather in the first place. I feel like Ather might missing out on some serious number of customers because of this. They’re a premium scooter. So they might not be looking at the quantity of scooters they sell. Then again I remember an Ather team member saying they’re making very little money on the 450X and so they’ll have to sell a LOT of 450Xs to make it work. I don’t understand how these 2 things- being a premium product and sell a LOT at the same time is going to happen.

1 Like

Will the subscription prices decrease if lithium ion battery prices decrease?

1 Like

Is it possible to transfer ather 450x booking from one to another? how is it possible if yes.Whether the order ID remains the same and will i get collector edition (if order ID qualifies for that)?.

Sorry, but read this statement too many times.

I thought and believe that Ather is not common and it’s an industry benchmark setter

3 Likes

Since ather 450x has a platic body, I want to know what is the vehicle falls due to some reason, how strong is the build quality compared to activa. Recently my sister had an accident on the activa but the cost of repairing was not much as the body was of metal. Has ather 450x any crash certifications on it.
I really doubt the built quality of ather 450x and if somehow it kinda falls or the body gets damaged I feel considering it is 1.59l the repair cost would be very very high.

In some youtube reviews I could see that ather 450x was rested on some stand is that an accessory available because where majority of parking in India is rotating and there are very little spaces, I feel I am buying a toy because I would not be able to park this vehicle properly.

Yes

Yes it is a separate stand. It is not a part of the scooter and not available via Ather.

From experience I’m telling you that the plastic panels might look weak and they might be weak too but on an average each of th panels cost about 1000 rupees. So the are just replaced. In case of activas metal body. The dents have to be corrected and it’s a tedious process. Just replace the damaged panels.

@Ather.Team @abhishek.balaji This is the most disappointing part of the vehicle, please do fix it as setting the mirror even in the best position still makes me feel I’m half blind. And if a pillion is sitting I feel like the mirrors are useless. This needs to fixed for the 450x for safety purposes. So do fix it guys!!

1 Like

Sir when can expect ather 450x in coimbatore city (Q3 20202 ??)

Is the 450X portable charger 5A or 15A?

Thanks for the T-Shirt :heart_eyes:
However, I will wait till you guys announce the upgrade plans for the 450!

The body is made from ABS plastic and is pretty strong against minor accidents and bumps. There are no crash tests for two-wheelers.

What he said, but the panels are not weak :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s a paddock stand, and it’s not portable. It’s meant for service/display and other applications.

2 Likes