Ather 450X Discussions

Hey @joemon.kishor, we messed up the pricing announcement at the press launch, given the short time. I’ve put together the comparison between the subscription and upfront option here:

Happy to clarify if you need more information :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@abhishek.balaji What is the future plan for ather grid system. Will we get fast chargers on highways? With current range being more than enough for city commute, fast chargers on highways will definitely help in intercity travel and road trips.

1 Like

We realize the price might not make sense to a lot of people, that’s where we’re hoping to convince you to take a test ride to experience the 450/450X.

For a long time, EVs represented a compromise in performance and the only justification to switch to an EV was cost savings.

However, that is no longer true. An electric vehicle like 450X represents a huge shift in performance, and the intelligence features that it offers is changing the game. 450X’s acceleration is hard to match for most scooters today - petrol or electric. The smart features enabled by connectivity and touchscreen dashboard aren’t available in any other vehicle out there. And the fast and super-fast charging available on 450X has in-built technology that is years ahead of all its rivals. So, fundamentally, 450X is worth switching to for the vastly superior product that it is.

4 Likes

You’ll see a lot more Grid points come up over the next several months within city limits in Bangalore and Chennai.

Highways are not a part of the near term future plans since 450 and 450X are meant for the urban commute.

3 Likes

So, Finally I canceled my pre-order of 450x(Pune) today with sad heart.
Call went smooth, executive asked me reason & I gave him the pretty obvious one. In further discussion he kindly offered loan option but I declined that. He further asked if I wish to transfer my pre-order to any of my close relative/friend but I declined that also, Sorry. Finally, he told me that you will get confirmation mail in 2 business days post which within 7 days money will be refunded to original account of transaction. Call ended.

I would like to thank you all members & Moderators of @Ather.Team for answering all my doubts through AMA in this wonderful platform.
I had shown interest on 450 back in June 2019 by reading news/reviews. Back in present when I rode 450 here in Pune I felt instantly in love with it & was desperately looking for to but it.
Although I Got chance to test drive two times:) Everyone liked 450 whenever i had just shown them just pic or features be it my friends/sister-in-law. That’s 450 for you, no one simply hates.

I understood from new moderators that 450x is can not be used for buying groceries or you should not compare with Activa/Chetak or any other scooter in the market. It is purely for hard enthusiasts(Apple phone) who can afford. So It made me to buy more affordable & average commuter scooter(Opppo phone).
I wish 450x could have more range rather than peak torque of 26Nm. Some more colors that were hinted in teaser trailers. And finally cost could have been in between 1.15 to 1.30

I really wish Ather a good success in coming future. You guys really build 450 a extra ordinary electric scooter & many many kudos to whole team. Good-bye!

16 Likes

You can, if you want to. The monthly subscription includes Ather Charge, which gives you:

• All data usage charges
  • Unlimited Public charging
  • Access to Future OTAs
  • Data storage and pipeline costs

If you want to avail other services equivalent to Ather One/Service, you can opt for those as well.

I’ve detailed what the subscription plans include here:

Sad to see you cancel your pre-order and it was wonderful getting your insights on our product, pricing and a lot of feedback. We hope we will be able to win you back with some of our future products :smiley:

As I had mentioned in one of the other responses in this thread,

4 Likes

Hey @kpprasad.mech,

We realize the price might not make sense to everyone, with different requirements and budgets.

Currently in the market, EVs are compromised on performance and features compared to traditional ICE scooters, and we wanted to change that with the 450 and now 450X.

There is no intention to trap you into a subscription, but want to provide a pricing model where you don’t have to face the common worries of EVs - battery degradation and inconsistent performance. We are working on exit options from the subscription plans, similar to standard loans, where you can pay the residual value of the battery, depending on when you’re exiting from the plans.

We can’t match the price point of the current scooters available in the market, while making the business sustainable and making sure the scooters offer consistent performance.

3 Likes

The prices displayed on the website are inclusive of subsidies. The cap of 1.5L is on the ex-Factory price, which the 450X meets. We’ll announce the exact subsidy amount and the on-road price soon, once we get regulatory stuff cleared out.

5 Likes

The price of Ather 450X and the current on-road price of Ather 450 are not comparable because the Ather 450 is extremely underpriced at Rs.1.13 lacs on-road. We did this to introduce a premium product in a price-sensitive market when we launched. In fact, if we had continued with 450, we would have increased its price anyways. Considering the experience of Ather 450 users, we’re convinced that the price of Ather 450X - a much superior product compared to the Ather 450, is justifiable for the value and experience it offers.

3 Likes

The 450 already has great specs and we wanted to keep that option open for consumers looking for the 450. It was not sustainable to sell the 450 at the current prices. We priced the 450 at 1.13L on road, to create a market and show consumers that it is possible to have a no-compromises EV 2 wheeler.

Given that, the 450X Plus also has a huge number of changes, such as upgraded battery chemistry, upgraded internal electronics and ofcourse the new dashboard. We wanted to make sure both options are available to consumers.

1 Like

We already confused everyone with the pricing, and had limited time at the press launch. We did share some more details this weekend about the collector’s edition.

We have zeroed in on the theme for the Collector’s Edition vehicle, which is ‘Inside Out’. We will reveal more details soon. Additionally, for our Collector’s Edition customers, one year of servicing is free, along with exclusive Ather merchandise.

3 Likes

Talking about performance only revolving at around the additional torque that the 450X generates does not make much sense. We need good range as well. That’s what is performance.

2 Likes

@abhishek.balaji Thanks for the reply. I have pre-ordered with billing address of a non serviceable city. If i decide to buy will I get same priority as orders of serviceable city as I will take delivery from Bengaluru?

1 Like

Also people who wants performance may not looking for ev and have many other options in this price point. EVs are mainly considered for cost saving rides, performance is second

3 Likes

The Eco range in 450X goes up to 85km. However, from our current customers, we realize that most commuters charge the vehicle overnight. And their daily usage is well below the current range - even in the current sports mode.

As mentioned to a different question,

1 Like

These so called high performance EVs (450X) can’t go beyond the boundaries of a sprawling city and get back home with the limited range. Performance is felt and needed more when on empty roads and highways. Practicality of a super scooter with high torque is not achievable in a crowded metropolis. Range is the word to be substituted for torque in definition of performance.

We need a practical blend of range and torque and that’s performance.

However it’s a great job by Ather in investing in bringing in technology into two wheeler. Hats off and respects.

6 Likes

We shared this during the AMA, resharing this here:

Every OEM in the world who’s attempting an EV is trying to pack more range in their vehicles. Trust us, even we are! It is not that we are not focusing on a higher range. Perhaps no one in the world can give you more range than what 450X does in the shell of the 450X.

450, as well as 450X, were designed for urban commuting. All the research shows that there are very very very few people who use their ‘scooters’ for commuting for more than 60-70 km per day ‘Within the City’. In fact, we’ve been selling 450 for almost 2 years now and more than 97% of people ride it for more than 50 km per day. They charge overnight and are tank-full the next morning - and this cycle continues.

So, the bottom line is that very few people need a significantly higher range in a ‘City Scooter’. Despite that, we are trying to pack more range in our battery and you’ll continue to see improvements in the future as well.

For those who travel longer distances, perhaps something like a motorcycle would be more convenient. And trust us, when we make a bike, it’ll be the best out there!

2 Likes

This has been added here:

Yes, Ather is doing great job. But unfortunately without knowing (or purposefully ingnoring) majority of customer’s requirements

5 Likes