Ather 450X Discussions

It all boils down to this in my opinion
Provided you are able to register your scooter under a different adhar and get another subsidy.
That comes to 28*2= 56,000 rupees.
If ather is able to cover for the depreciation of our old 450 and make up for the new price of the 450X within this 56k then the upgrade program would be really good.
Also I have my doubts that they’ll price the 450X higher. Sinces it’s going pan india and more quantity of production. It might be priced quite competitively.

I really hope they keep similar aesthetics of the 450 though.

I know the vehicle details will be revealed later, but I wonder if I will be able to use the old charger with the 450x? Ideally, that would be great!. Don’t want to upgrade the POD.

3 Likes

Look at the odo meter bro. 13.8kms how old could it be??

@AnaghDeshpande @Abhishek @chethan.bn
Hello owners.
If ather guys upgrade plan goes wrong. I have a better plan {B} for myself Let us start selling our flights in forum. What do you think sir(s):joy:.

4 Likes

For people losing it over the fact that their vehicles will be old/outdated/depreciated:

That is just how tech companies work. The 450 was launched in mid-2018, after quite a number of delays. Technically it was supposed to come out even earlier. And it’s been almost 2 years since that.

Why would a tech company keep producing old products without updating it?

Why would they want to lose their competitive edge in an extremely fast paced industry?

When we bought the 450, we knew that it was more of a gadget that a vehicle. We knew at some point a new one would come out, after all this was a 1st Gen product.
And that is exactly what happens to gadgets. They get old and outdated. That does not mean they stop working. Just because a new version is out, you don’t have to buy it. You can keep using your older one.

If you are someone who needs to have the latest and greatest, be ready to take a hit on the pocket. Any new gadget or vehicle is an extremely fast depreciating asset. It will always lose its value the most in the first couple of years and if you change them every time a new version comes out, good luck with your finances. :slight_smile:

Neither will companies stop innovating nor will they be cheap to upgrade. It is upto you how long do you want to use it.

I use an iPhone 7+ which came out in 2016. Every year I get tempted to upgrade, but this one works like the day it came out. Still runs the latest OS and has a fairly decent camera. That doesn’t mean I get to be pissed at Apple for releasing a new one every year. Neither do they force me to buy a new one, nor do they stop supporting the old one.

Remember the iPhone 5S? We have one in the family that was bought 6 years ago. Still runs pretty well and does everything it needs to. We can always upgrade to the latest one, but that would mean shelling out at least 50% the cost of a new one every year.

And for people expecting a measly upgrade fee, be warned. There is no way it’s going to be cheap.

Here’s why:

1. The 450X will definitely be more expensive than the 450 was.
  2. 450 already got a 14k price cut due to GST and FAME changes. So people who bought it for ~128k already have a depreciated vehicle.
  3. Resale value of any vehicle drops 20-25% in the first few months of ownership. For gadgets it can be upto 40%.
  4. Now that 450 is already a generation old, its desirability has reduced. Meaning less demand for it, further reducing the resale value.

It’s great that the X is out for those in the order queue, and for the ones who haven’t ordered yet.

For those with the 450, you got to be one of the earliest users, got a taste of the first generation product at a decent cost and got to be a part of a great community.

You can’t have it all :slight_smile:

27 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Pre-order Invite Codes

plz let us know if we have to pre-order if we are on lease… or wait for lease to complete?

1 Like

It has to be, else they’ll be replacing everyone’s old 450. I understand that it’s a Gadget and it needs to be updated. What I don’t understand is why did they tell us that the product won’t depreciate as much as there will be OTA updates. And within just over a year they release a better scooter. And a for a lot of us within months. I just wish Ather had laid out their plan out in the open and we knew that this would happen sometime, then we’d know what we were getting into as early adopters. In case of phone’s you know there will be a new phone every year, it’s a decision you make of buying an older version knowing there will be a new one coming out. Its a CHOICE we make. In this case we had no idea. People getting their scooters in a few days had no idea either. Now would you call that fair. Well I think it’s only fair to wait for the unveil and the upgrade program details before saying anything else.

3 Likes

You’ll still have to preorder the 450X separately. We’re working on upgrade plans for all customers.

2 Likes

I don’t think any existing owners should be unhappy, did you think the company would just continue with the same version of the product forever? That was one of the key reasons I went for a lease, because I am sure the options in 1/2/3 years will be far superior to what I had when I purchased the vehicle and the lease gives me an easy way out without suffering a huge loss. At this time, I’m tending towards preclosing the lease in March 2021 at 2 years. By then I expect a huge increase in the variety and capability of vehicles in the market.

The thing that upset me about this event was what they unveiled. If I understood, all they said was that they are launching a new version of the scooter. I feel that they should’ve also announced all the details of the scooter to sustain some interest

2 Likes

Something we’re not considering is the extra 56000 which can be availed in subsidy. The question is how much can this 56k cover up for the depreciation and the upgrade.

Well, I have been in this position earlier when I bought my car and now, it’s been only 2 months since I got my Ather and now the 450X. Emotions linked to 450 are definitely higher and therefore even feel a bit disappointed. But then again, every vehicle gets a newer version, a facelift, an upgrade. So let’s just accept the 450X. Because at the end of it all, the organization has to sustain and forge ahead. Only then we will remain proud of being an Ather user!
I have prebooked a 450X. Will consider swapping or entirely new buy based on what Ather offers…

2 Likes

Hey just wanted to know. For the regular 450 owners, after 2-3 years will there still be options of replacing our battery and stuff like that? OTAs even years down the lane or they’ll stop it at one point with one stable OTA? Just something to help us evaluate our situation. I remeber Ather saying they’re working on a. More energy dense battery. So if in case that comes to the 450X will we also be able to get that 3-4 years down ?

4 Likes

I clocked 500 km mark 2 days before,
Now it’s a 1 Month, 500 KM OLD Ather 450

Gotta live with that!

2 Likes

Let me give an example,
We know when Apple is gonna launch a new phone, The older model gets a price cut, Press invites are sent out indicating that a new launch is happening. That was not the case here…

Imagine a person who bought an iPhone 11 pro paying 1 lakh and next day Apple launches the iPhone 12! Even if they had launched the iPhone 12 at 1.2 lakh, this fanboy would definitely pay that 20k extra to gain access to new features. Even if there were no major new/extra features the fanboy would blindly pay that 20k to ensure he has a new model.

There’s also that waiting period, people who have paid and waiting for deliveries scheduled in January would have pre-ordered way back in September - October. They are getting an OLD 450 after waiting 3-4 months and have to live with that if the upgrade options are not feasible and friendly. If Ather informed that there is a new launch in Q1 2020 we could have seen some pre-orders happening for the 450X’s instead of the 450.

2 Likes

I am waiting for a superbike to be launched by Ather just like emflux !

1 Like

Yes, the battery warranty will have you covered for the first three years. We’re working on feasible for existing customers.

OTAs will be rolled out as well, as long as you’re part of the subscription plans with new features and updates.

4 Likes

What I expect from 450X.

1. Dual channel ABS

2. Smartphones like touch response

3. Faster processor

4. Bigger battery

5. Higher capacity motor

6. More torque

7. Proper cable management

8. Rat Proof

9. New mirror design

10. Wider 14 inch tyres

11. Powerful Headlights

12. Custom REGEN

13. Usb socket in boot

14. Hazard light function

15. Side stand sensor

16. 4g connectivity

17. Cruise control

18. Redesigned front n back mud flaps

19. Redesigned seats

20. Illuminated switch keys

21. Higher water wading limits

22. Redesigned battery cooling system

23. Redesigned motor cooling system

24. Smart key

25. Portable fast charger support

26. 450✈️ 450X🚀

21 Likes

I meant battery replacements and other things. Basically since the regular 450s won’t be the priority anymore. Just wanted to know how we’ll be dealt with after the 450X. Good to know the OTAs will go on. Thank you

4 Likes

@udayt_7 I totally agree with you Ather’s marketing team should have done a better job of teasing/spec leaks about the product beforehand, they just randomly announced a whole new lineup in a matter of two days essentially it’s a m finger to whomever who booked the vehicle in December :man_shrugging:t4:

6 Likes