Ather 450 and 340 Technical Discussion

I guess Ather is using 18650 Li-ion cells. 18650 cells are known to retain 80% of capacity at 500 cycles or 5 years (whichever is earlier). But in real world a lot of variables may impact the life-span of the batteries like ambient temperature, electrical load characteristics, manufacturing flaws, frequent quick charging and many other factors.

2 Likes

Yes they are using 18650 cells
By the time we want to change the battery (may be in 5-6 years worst case) battery cost will be very less. This shouldn’t be a concern at this point.
అభిషేక్

1 Like

@ursjai and @iamgyan,

The regen braking in the vehicles can be engaged by twisting the throttle grip in the opposite direction. This dual-direction throttle allows to engage only regen without deploying brakes.

At this point though, the regen torque is low and there will not be a very noticeable deacceleration in the vehicle and we wouldn’t recommend to rely only on regen to slow down the vehicle.

Also, the regen alone cannot bring a vehicle to a complete stop as regen works only when the vehicle is in motion, as the vehicle slows down, the brake force also reduces.

Regen torque is a function of speed, just like air drag.

Moreover, with the 450, the regen gets disabled at speeds lower than 20kmph.

5 Likes

We have been cycling battery packs and cells for quite a while at different ambient temperatures and different current profiles.

The battery pack should retain 70% or higher capacity at the end of 3 years, irrespective of usage.

1 Like

I was not aware of this throttle function
Am only thinking regen is activated when brakes were deployed or when we let go accelerator…
Haven’t tried this on test drive, will try if I get a chance
Thanks for letting us know

2 Likes

There are multiple ways to engage regen. Unlike engine braking, engaging regen is electronic and not mechanical.

While some manufacturers engage regen as soon as you let go of the throttle grip/accelerator, the Ather 450/340 do not engage it and start to coast freely.

Regen can be enabled by twisting the throttle grip or by applying brakes.

2 Likes

Just to confirm, by twisting the grip in opposite direction, you mean the same as closing the throttle right? Not that the Throttle has a zero point with +ve throttle and -ve throttle on either side of it.

1 Like

I tried engaging kill switch when am in motion (about 50kmph)
Then there is considerable amount of resistance from the motor (it was not coasting) should that be because of regen?

Also let us know is this function can be modified if required via ota update… Just in case if you find a scenario as you said this is electronic function!

1 Like

Okay. Just read this answer of yours. Interesting. This wasn’t told by anyone during the test ride though. So then you do have a zero throttle position with negative and positive sides.

Using the kill switch while riding is not a good idea. Once the motor turns off, turning it on requires pressing brake and start after dis-engaging the kill-switch. Super risky a thing to do on the road.

The function can be modified via OTA.

As for the regen intensity, it too can be modified via OTA and we are working on it. Multiple reasons on why it’s at a low-intensity setting presently.

Yes. The throttle can be rotated in both +ve and -ve direction, it rests at a zero point if you let it go. The +ve direction allows a full angle of twist, while the negative direction only has ~5° of play.

We haven’t spoken much about it because the intensity of regen is low, and it might not be perceivable during a short test ride. Given the curiosity you guys have shown in this, I’ll communicate it to the Ather Space team. We’ll start talking proactively about it :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Oooo…like the vectrix scooter throttles but without reverse function. Ok. But is it really that intuitive? Somehow, I’m not able to believe it’ll be intuitive but then most vectrix riders did find it so. Looks like I’ll have to take another test ride and find out i guess.

1 Like

Regen should be user adjustable like in Tesla cars.

1 Like

When taking the test ride, I found the fan noise to be louder than I would like. I noticed that it kicks in when the speed crosses 15/20 kmph. The same was also quite audible in one of the review videos posted on youtube.

While the motor acceleration sound is great, I would really appreciate if the fan can be made a lot quieter. Does the fan run continuously when the vehicle is being driven? My test ride was quite short, so I could not ascertain how it would work on longer rides.

I’m curious to know how bigger electric vehicles like Tesla, etc. manage to remove the heat while remaining absoutely silent.

2 Likes

@navinsai, the fan kicks in if the motor temperature exceeds a certain limit. No denying that it is audible, though it is necessary to keep the fan on to ensure the motor remains at usable temperatures.

In case the motor is not cooled, the performance of the motor will have to be capped.

Usually, in cold weather, or under low load the fan will not turn on if the motor temperature is not exceeding the threshold.

Cars usually have much bigger motors that can radiate more heat owing to the fact that they have more surface area and material usage, and, noise Insulation for a car cabin is super easy compared to an open 2-wheeler. Something that makes cars seem quieter.

Also, most electric cars have liquid cooling, which is quite difficult to include in scooters from a cost and space perspective.

4 Likes

Is the fan cooling the motor OR the on-board inverter module with IGBTs / MOSFETs to drive the electric motor?

Reason for edit: To alter sentence structure.

It is something like this?

I am absolutely unhappy with the fact that no tracking mode needs to be manually turned off on a daily basis. Please make it an opt in option where user can share anon data with Ather if they want to.

Sir,
I have question why you made complication in “installing home charging Point” why cant you have worked on just a simple portable charger while taking vehicle.
A simple portable charge, which would have saved your time and easy process.

Sir y don’t u please increase the range of 450 little bit higher to around 150

The only way they can do that is if they put more batteries and that will raise the cost of the scooter even further. Without redesigning the battery pack mold, they can at best increases the battery pack capacity by another 10% by using newer high capacity cells which may give a range of 10% or more.

4 Likes