Ather 450 and 340 Technical Discussion

Automotive grade Aluminium offers considerable benefits in terms of rigidity, safety and weight. It’s not unheard of to use it to build a vehicle’s chassis, there are multiple international brands that have done the same. Though the tensile strength of Al is lower, it can be layered and thickened to match steel’s without adding additional weight on the vehicle. And in EVs weight is a huge factor, affecting speed, range and gradeability.

Apart from choice of material, the design itself influences the overall strength of the frame. If you use steel, the welds could become a weak point in the design, which a unibody frame made out of aluminium will not suffer from. In general, steel may be stronger than aluminium, but it doesn’t directly translate to “Steel frame” being stronger than an “Aluminium frame”

Between Ather One, the vehicle warranty, insurance and our doorstep service, you will not have to worry too much about the cost of “worst case scenarios”.

12 Likes

I am also curious about understanding the theft protection features… battery being an expensive part…I would like to know how protected it is in the scooter…

1 Like

Ather gives a best reply to the customers satisfaction even if people try to troll their products.
Relina and Shreyas keeping rocking with positive turns.

6 Likes

My suggestion on the outer level may look absurd but I have seen riders with full face helmet and especially female riders hardly turn their head. To them fixing a small rear view camera and connecting to the front display unit will be very helpful since their rear view mirror will only give a very limited view while wearing full face helmet. Probably Ather scooter will be the only scooter in the world and the first one to have a rear view camara as a safety feature…!!! A very very fancy feature…!!!

3 Likes

Wow! Can you be any more wrong about full face helmets!
Further, if someone who is not even bothered to check his rear view mirror by moving his eyes to the side, what makes you think that they’ll look the same distance down onto the screen? And how does the screen know when to display the rear view and when to display the speedo/maps display? And of course, while every one wants very very fancy features, nobody wants to pay for them!

11 Likes

Well Iamgyan,
Ather scooter is designed to be ridden within the city and therefore the maximum average speed one can achieve in the city is not more than 40Kms, even though Ather scooter is capable of achieving twice this speed. No body rides two wheeler looking at the speedometer. Speedometer is looked once in a while if one feels that he is riding a high speed. The only most important information a motorist needs in all riding conditions is how much fuel is left for him to reach his destination. Lesser the fuel he has, more often he looks at that meter, otherwise he does not bother even to look at the fuel gauge. About maps, it is switched on only once in a while if one has to travel to a unfamiliar location. Most of the daily commuting is done between known places and therefore for everyday routine travel nobody uses maps and in that sense it is redundant. Parking and sitting on scooter and searching for places on the map in my opinion is very dangerous, especially if the right precaution is not taken to park the scooter, especially in twilight, night and during rain. The chances of getting hit by an other motor vehicle is very high. I have seen this happening to quite a number of riders who park their two wheeler haphazardly to answer their mobile call. Destination has to be decided well before the ride begins. One cannot sit on the scooter in the parking lot or on the street searching for destination. If their is a connectivity issue God save him. Therefore, the world over the most preferred navigation is by off line maps. On can comfortably pre-search his destination and on his mobile using the mobile’s data connectivity or WiFi whichever is available to him, save it on his mobile and push that location onto his on board navigation system. Does Ather design team can’t see that it is very very dangerous for one to park the scooter on the street and keep searching for location when it is raining or when the visibility of the road is poor ???. One often get location to reach their WhatsApp. What a disadvantage it would be if one cannot push that location onto the Ather on-board navigation system!!! . In India safety conscious among riders is very minimal or if not absent. One quite often get to see riders riding their two wheeler holding their helmet in their hand instead of strapping it to their head!!! Ather fans must never be subjected to any kind of risk by depending on the navigation system that fetches the location only from the SIM. I am especially worried about the young techies who are always in the hurry and who always loves to keep fiddling with their digital gadgets. They are the ardent supporters of Ather. One should never ever subject these noble souls to even a slightest risk. In the light of what I have said just now it is evident that the rear view camera is a very very useful gadget . Please don’t brush it away as a fancy gadget. In my opinion it is a must safety feature!!! About cost, digital camera / sensor are available within 3 digit figure depending upon the brand. If Ather is so concerned about the cost, at least design your wiring harness with a socket that takes the camera. The camera can then be sold as a separate accessory for those who wants it for a price and the fitting of the camera can happen in a jiffy without disturbing the factory wiring harness. Rear camera can be turned off or on as preferred by the rider. Safety of the rider must be the paramount concern forthe Ather team. Fancy features whose utility is minimal serves no purpose.

1 Like

Hello,

What you have described has nothing to do with the vehicle but rather has to do with the maturity of the rider. Parking on the side of the road to look into Google maps and using the right helmet etc is not Athers responsibility. Plain and simple. Don’t be looking to the manufacturer to solve issues that can easily be done by changing your own behaviour on the roads just a little. And if BMW or Triumph don’t see it necessary to provide a rear view camera on their extra large adventure bikes , I certainly don’t see the need for it on a 140kg scooter. Be aware of your surroundings while riding and wear the right gear. That’s what is going to save ‘the young techies’, not the scooter

13 Likes

Is there a way to brake using only regen braking on ather? By partially pressing the brake lever, can i enable only regen braking and not the disk brakes?

While I doubt that’ll be possible currently, regen braking here would only feel similar to engine braking in a motorcycle which, just like engine braking, can only help in retarding the speed but would not be enough to bring vehicle to a halt. The regen braking here would mostly be getting activated automatically during closing of throttle or applying of brakes or both.

For the kind of “regen then mechanical” braking you are suggesting, the brakes would need to be brake-by-wire (other jugaad options are possible but i doubt any manufacturer would do that) which would increase cost/complexity for not enough gains and aren’t really needed in a city run-about scooter which is already priced at a premium when people compare it to conventional scoots.

2 Likes

Hi I was just wondering whether the Ather S450 has Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) or an electronic ABS.

I am not sure whether I am asking a irrelevant question here. But this particular question about battery theft protection is left unanswered in this forum. I saw no reply to @shruthi’s quires around this topic as well. Apologies if it’s a stupid question to ask now, I missed to ask this on my visit to Ather Experience Center.

Battery is as safe as a petrol tank in any other ICE scooter available today. And the Electric motor is as safe as the engine in any other ICE scooter available today. Hope it answers you!

1 Like

The battery pack is an integral part of the frame of the scooter. This is also on display on the bare bones model displayed at ather space. That itself makes it difficult to steal.
Next even if someone one did want to, it’ll take a whole lot of effort to strip down body panels, unscrew the rear subframe and the front steering head part. Imagine it as someone taking away the floorboard of your conventional Scoot.
And even after all this, it would be very difficult to use it in any other application as these battery packs and the related Battery Management System (BMS) are designed for a particular application. While you could disassemble the whole thing and make your own BMS, the effort and know how required for it, renders the average joe incapable of gaining much from this entire exercise.

TL:DR Your battery pack is as safe as it can be.

3 Likes

There is no ABS. However, there is CBS which would basically apply your front brakes too (partially) when you apply the rear brakes. Ofcourse you can use the front brake only also using the right side brake lever.

Thanks for the explanation…I was sure Ather would have considered everything possible…but just wanted to to double sure it…

Thanks for your response. So is it safe to say that the bike won’t skid on a wet surface when the brakes are applied…
Also wanted to know if the touch screen is tough enough what happens if someone tries to or breaks the touch screen.

Any bike or vehicle without ABS will skid when limit of adhesion to surface is overcome, depending on various conditions including surface condition and rider / driver skill. Ather scoots are no different. But it isn’t that it’ll skid for sure. Like any of your regular scooters or vehicles, braking on wet requires a bit more care and the braking does work in wet too. Ask yourself, how many times have you managed to lock the brakes of your scooter? As a habit, always ensure you brake using both the brakes, smoothly.
Also, when i say this, having ABS doesn’t mean that the user can clamp / stomp the brake at last moment. ABS also has its stopping distance depending on speed and you may not always stop in time (although you won’t skid).

3 Likes

If one does not know how to use a side view mirror with a full face helmet on, he/she should not be driving on the road! That driver is an accident waiting to happen.

Do you know that 1-2secs you take to look down to check that fancy rearview display on the dash is enough to send you straight into the back of the vehicle at the front.?

7 Likes

In Ather, we have built in gps tracking system which can be turned off only 24 hours, if ather bike is robbed by thief, then we can easily find him out within 24 hours. Recognization Will be auto turned on using ather app you find you vehicle.

1. Home charging point supports only for the authorized bike. If thief is charging in his home charging point then he need to give permission for vehicle to get charged. Using this info we can easily tracked them.

2. if theif is charging your ather bike in public point then also we can track him using the gps to know at which ather grid point he is charging.

3. if he want to sole, only battery then he need to take ather bike to some place and do the robbery using gps we can figure him without issue.

4. we have built 3G sim in ather using the sim card information, we can track the robber.

5. in worst case, Ather owner has pay insurance together for next 5 years so no need to worry about accidental damage or theif issues. You can easily claim in case of such issues.

I hope this would avoid you thinking security issue for Ather.

9 Likes

This question is on Battery performance: While new battery has a guaranteed range of 75Km per charge, what is the range when the battery gets old? Any study has been done? say for 10K, 20K… 50Km aging OR 1yr/2yr/…/5yr?

2 Likes