Road Side Assistance & Ather One

Hi Abhishek…

It happened for me last month… which I shared in one of the forum posts… Later I checked the FAQ to see if really RSA was free or not and I could not find any such terms of charges.

After hearing the labor charges for @santosh.rism I revisited this and posted it here to get clarity…

To summarise on what happened then:
Plan was to go to Kengeri - Magadi Road - Kengeri with full charge. As per the ride statistics I easily had 10 km buffer and was confident of reaching. But due to inclination the charge was not sufficient. Final 2.5 kms, I dropped the pillion and drove alone. When 1.6 km left for the grid point, the charge was zero.

So I had called RSA to check if they can help me in taking the vehicle to nearest grid (1.6 km away). They told it will take around 30-45 minutes and I will be charged 1800. I informed them about Ather one subscription. But I was clarified that RSA is chargeable and only assistance is a part of the plan.

Surprised and disappointed. But didn’t want to waste time arguing there. So pushed the vehicle to the grid.

In this episode (which cud have happened to anyone), if Ather blames the user for not planning correctly, then excuse me. It will be a lame excuse from Ather for denying the service.

If you claim insurance for accident, if the insurance provider rejects the claim because you did not drive properly, then no need to think of insurance much. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

agreed

hope ather gets back on this soon…

On pushing the vehicle…was forward park assist working even after battery fully drained out

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Is road side assistance free if I run out of charge?

Raghav, while I appreciate Road Side Assistance which Ather gave you, may I request you enlighten the rest of the forum members on what went wrong? It might be useful for others I believe.

1 Like

So, i had the most craziest experience ever on a vehicle, any vehicle.

I was driving to work Monday morning when a blind, reckless car almost cut me off, and in a fit of rage i honked at him. A little longer than usual, just to show i am pissed.
i let go of the horn button, but still here the annoying loud shrill of the hirn. Tap it a few more times thinking its stuck. Nope - it refuses to turn off.

I hit the kill switch and turn off the motor, but nothing happens. The dash is still working and the horn is still shrieking. I quickly try to initiate a shutdown and see the notification to switch off and remove the key. I do that, but nothing happens. I think may be i can drive down to the factory (2km away) but the motor would not start now.

so here i was in Whitefield, in front of a hospital, stranded with an extremely loud horn shrieking non stop. As the last option, i call the Roadside assistance number and it gets answered almost immediately. Lohith picks up and within a few secs into the conversation he understands that the bike is non responsive and there is nothing that i can do at that point. He quickly figures out that the fastest way to help me is to dispatch a team from the factory so they can atleast turn off the horn. its still 9:30am and he dropped off to find the right set of guys who can help me.

By now, there is a crowd of taxi drivers who are inspecting the vehicle and giving me all their unwanted advise. one guy reaches into the wheel arch and i politely pull him back and ask the group to back off as this is not a normal bike. By now Lohith calls me back and tells me Mr Satish from the factory while be there in a couple of minutes.

10mins pass and i call back Lohith wanting to know where the team was, just then i spot an 450 with red plates. i wave them to my spot. The pillion literally jumps of his bike and runs to my 450 trying to figure out the dash options. Absolutely nothing works!. Satish and the other guy quickly pull out screw drivers and start removing the plastic panel exposing the charging unit and the horn assembly. He quickly inplugs the horn wire and finally there is relief to our ears!

Satish, it turns is a QA manager at the factory. They push the bike into my office parking lot and give me a lift to my office. I get a call from Lohith that the tow truck would be sent in some time. Around afternoon the tow truck comes in a takes my bike away for diagnosis.

I asked lohith to keep the bike for the rest of the week since i was travelling wouldn’t be available to pick it up. Sometime in the week they call me back to tell me that it could have been some sort of overload but they are unable to replicate it in the service centre. I was assured that it would not pop-up again. So far, I’ve not seen a repeat of that issue.

Long story short, i was one of the reasons for the June OTA that brought out some stability related patches. (Not officially confirmed though!).

One thing though, i did not lose my patience at any point of time. I knew i could trust these guys to turn up and help me out - and they did!

18 Likes

Interesting story :slight_smile:

I also had the same horn problem… But luckily for me it was just a horn switch… So in a minute, I could get the horn switch fixed by a force pull… But that 1 minute was enough to get enough crowd towards me for the loud sound :slight_smile:

Later Ather team replaced the horn switch… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing the first story. Hope 2nd and 3rd are on the way :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Guys, my humble suggestion:

Let us not mix up the confidence factor about Ather with problems reported / faced… All of us have confidence about Ather . That is why we are part of pre-order customers :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Absolutely. I did not write about this earlier since some folks would start panicking and coming to unnecessary conclusions.

They are not perfect and don’t claim to be either, but they are aiming very high in quality of both product and service.

9 Likes

For a damage repair ather servicemen came on scooty to ride it back. What if my wheel was locked or something. Please use tempo to pickup vehicles dear @Ather.Team. i do not expect premium brands to act as local tapriwallah repair guys. My ride had low charge so i asked them to charge it from a public charger, hopefully that makes them consider a tempo next time

1 Like

If the vehicle is in working condition they will send out a rider to pick it up. I’ve had them drop my bike off and they were very careful to not exceed 35-40kmph (yes I tracked them on the app).

Doesn’t make sense to send out a truck when the vehicle can be safely driven to the service centre.

3 Likes

They came in TVS Scooty?!!! That’s strange. They come in An Ather. There were 2 instances where they picked up my scooter. Both times they checked and confirmed with me if the vehicle was in riding condition. Then they asked me to keep it charged and two guys came in an Ather and took my scooter.
Forget Ather, all my cars (Maruti, Volkswagen, Tata, Fiat, Mahindra) are picked up in the same way. As long as it is in driveable/rideable condition, I’m ok with this approach. However
the driving/riding style of the pickup guy is something that I worry about and it’s always a relief when the vehicle reaches the service centre safely.

3 Likes

They came in Ather only, noone confirmed if vehicle is driveable. Also cars are different, a two wheeler is a much higher human liability if any untoward event happens. If i drop im fine…this midline makes me nervous

1 Like

The Ather service team also uses Bounce/Vogo for pickup drop

3 Likes

I wanted to revisit if Ather plan to answer this question anytime? This question was asked multiple times.

1. First time when I faced this issue.
  2. A month later as a follow up by this post.
  3. Asked this question just before 3rd owners meet. It was one of the most voted (liked) questions during 3rd Owners meet, but was still not answered in the presentation.

Apologies if it was answered officially by Ather and I still missed it.

Hey @prasathvishnu

This seems to have been addressed in the FAQs: Is road side assistance free if I run out of charge?

1 Like

Thanks Abhishek… but that answer was from fellow Ather owner.

With all due respect to the knowledgeable owners, I am sure you will agree that requires clarification / explanation from official source… Right from the preorder days we all have been hearing that Ather One is a single subscription which provides everything including Roadside Assistance…

Nowhere it was mentioned about when it cant be availed and * conditions apply.

3 Likes

It is disappointing to hear about hidden charges. I was under the belief RSA under Ather One plan includes free assistance for all scenarios. I wish I had known this before ordering my vehicle, I would have had second thoughts.

That’s fair, and thanks for pointing this out! I’ve checked with the team and summarizing RSA terms here.

When RSA will not be charged:

in the event of a vehicle break down due to an issue with the vehicle, will be available at no additional cost to those who are covered by Ather One or Ather Service. Additionally, roadside assistance will be provided to Ather One or Ather Service customers to fix a punctured tyre, although the cost of fixing the puncture including labor charges will have to be borne by the customer.

When RSA would be charged:

In scenarios such as the vehicle running out of charge or suffering damages due to the user’s negligence would be chargeable even for those who are covered by Ather One or Ather Service.

These terms are available in your buyer’s agreement and we’ll be adding this to the FAQs soon.

2 Likes