Request to close this section and blame Government Regulations for it

I feel using the aggregated data is somewhat okay for improvements, but Ather doesn’t respond what data they collect, how do they use, whom do they sell, whether they are profiling everyone, etc., They just keep quiet whenever we ask about it. So there is a big elephant which they don’t want to talk about.

I should have an option to opt out, delete my data from their servers.

A recent article about privacy & connected vehicles: Connected cars are a “privacy nightmare,” Mozilla Foundation says | Ars Technica

4 Likes

I was going to paste that Mozilla report here. People need to aware about this.

People saying that it is useful to Ather for improvement and to identify the next charging point location. But, this is ok as long as data of user is kept anonymous. Imagine they start profiling you and sell this profile to insurance companies to judge your premium, or if Ather knows that you go to a specific doctor in a particular duration and that is sold to health insurance companies, same goes for supermarkets and what not. I highly recommend reading that Mozzila report.

Edit adding links…

2 Likes

How do you have access to put up links in this? I’m restricted from adding links for unknown reasons

I guess you missed this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYcmF9IAJbU

Also, look at `Louis Rossman` -- https://www.youtube.com/@rossmanngroup/videos
if you ever want to learn about right-to-repair

Edit: I bypassed the restriction. LOL.

2 Likes

okay seems like random stuff you do everyday can be super valuable to big comapnies or someone just forgot monthy ride reports/ride stats are key features of this connected scooter before buying.So I hope you opt out of it asap,sell the Ather.

also whats up with these camera in bedroom or leaving toilet door open examples? once you park the scooter in garage its over.It only has your home location (I put it in myself as its one of features of this 4G enabled connected scooter for single tap navigation) its not a phone which is with you 24/7

says the person who paid 1.6lakhs+ to be tracked by a motor company lol.you got yourself in this by not paying attention.

Nice…! Truthfully my expectations were lower but again I am am human, I can be wrong.

Speaking of Privacy, send Ather a C & D under DPDP '2023 demanding to terminate any data collection and to delete any of your personally identifying information, also get them to disclose all and any information pertaining to you that they are legally allowed to collect(they have to maintain track of the sale of vehicle and its repair) to be shared with you and a list of other data processors that have been given access to it.

Get a written confirmation for data deletion and other things above, if denied sue them!

1 Like

We still talking about things in India correct ? As per my know-how motor insurance in India is not judged on how you drive the vehicle, not even your traffic violations are checked, it is derived on the basis of idv of vehicle and previous track record of claiming insurance. Health insurance is a rabbit-hole in itself, if you fail to disclose any ailment you are at fault, if you disclose you are charged.

1 Like

Considering this I’d say you’re not naive enough to not pull out the dashboard and physically tamper with the antennas or just disabling the eSIM itself. And if we’re talking about data protection while in India please tell me you’re trying to be ironical or atleast you’re also on the panel to fight with the same vigour against the latest dp laws which were recently set loose on the populous. Other than that you drive on public roads in cities that have the copiously as many cameras tracking our vehicles as a dystopian neighbour.

Talking about neighbours I could once see on a map where the neighbourhood chargers came from don’t you think more than Ather (a company whose r&d budget due to crunch is heavily subsidised by consumers and yet couldn’t figure out a seamless map and ux) successfully processing and analysing that data. “The” neighbour is actually much more well equipped to have tunnelled into and would already be analysing the said metadata./s

Felt like you made fun of me (which I believe is true) but still, here you go: That’s C&D does not gonna work. DPDP 2023 was NEVER made to uphold citizen’s privacy. There are s…t load of information available on the internet, please help yourself on that. It’s your data that is being collected. The company should give an option to erase it in the accounts section. I know it wouldn’t but yea, if Ather would ever wish to get into the EU market, they’re fked unless they make all the data collection transparent and give an option for the user to opt out. Because that’s how valuable your data is and they they it seriously unlike us.

panel to fight with the same vigour against the latest dp laws which were recently set loose on the populous.

Yes. Have written many letters and emails to the officials explaining why this bill (DPDP) is a threat to privacy of an individual and how it actually demeans and takes away the citizen’s right to information which got amended with the bill. Not only the DPDP bill but also the Registration of Birth and Death bill which is really a death penalty on citizens that promotes 360° 24/7 profiling.

P.S: I’ve been talking and standing up for citizen’s privacy and rights for more than 3 years now and will continue to do so.

Thanks and have a great day.

2 Likes

Hey man, appreciate your efforts. And i understand that there should be at least a written Data handling termsheet from Ather.

But i world suggest to create a new topic with the proper title so that it will get attention from someone at Ather. This might create some friction. Here looking at the title of this topic, i don’t think we will get any response. And also, send a mail to Ather asking the same. You might get more clarity from Ather themself.

2 Likes

I have one query

Let’s say your scooter got stolen, will you ask for telemetry data location and all at that time?

I don’t think he is against having GPS on the scooter. It’s a very good to have feature. He just don’t want Ather to save all the locations he visited and then sell it to others to make more money. There is big difference in that.

2 Likes

It’s just pack of package. In order to collect the GPS, you give up a lot.

Look for how Google maps provides live traffic data.

Either you will have to give up everything or you get nothing. Sadly there is nothing called middle ground.

1 Like

Nope, was not making fun, I was serious in what I wrote.

I am not a lawyer, won’t argue coz I don’t know any further into it.

I will say this regardless of GDPR being a thing, there is still a ton of data being collected under it’s guise.

I was curious about this since starting, how did you get the urls?(from app manifest or scooter diag?).

2 Likes

Yeah, i agree. For traffic monitoring, anonymity of the devices can be maintained. We just want a response from Ather, what parameters are collected and where and how that is being used.

Like modern smart TVs, the model is so broke that too make money they sell cheap HW and then make money of the data and there is no denying that. If that’s the same case with Ather, then why are they pricing the SW package so high. Some people were also demanding that it they don’t pay for the connect plan, then stop using our data. Same goes for the plus models. A simple termsheet can solve all these confusion. First we need to get a statement from Ather, then we argue about the moral and ethical ground.

1 Like

I think the current data protection law should address that. (I am not a fan of that law tho, makes life of small business harder)

1 Like

You might get more clarity from Ather themself.

I had written to Ather’s Grievance officer the other day and who gave cold reply without actually exactly answering the questions that were raised.

I am not a lawyer, won’t argue coz I don’t know any further into it.

Even I’m not. I’m just a person interested in human rights and privacy.

Sadly there is nothing called middle ground

You should be given an opt out option.

how did you get the urls?

Well, I’ve network monitoring set up on my home and I collected those urls from the Android app, not from the vehicle. But looking at those URLs, it to me feels like they’re the URLs that the vehicle connects to along with few other URLs which I’ve made a list of.

But i world suggest to create a new topic with the proper title so that it will get attention from someone at Ather.

I, unfortunately cannot start a new thread regarding this. I initially tried to put my concerns on a new thread and learnt that my account is restricted in many ways and ended up sharing it here.
I cannot even share a link. Have to find work arounds.
Below is one more YouTube video snippet from LTT’s WAN show that will give anyone an idea about how much data a private vehicle company collects:

https://youtu.be/HHKZTFGUZS0?t=2h2m45s
5 Likes

Ather is giving Coasting regen to new buyers of Ather 450X Gen 3.1 but not giving to us. This is totally unacceptable from a trusted company like Ather

2 Likes

source of this? I saw only new switchgear equipped ones have it which are coming in november

1 Like

I met a guy at a Ather Grid point who recently got delivered his Ather. While I was telling him you could have waited few months as they are not shiping coasting regen in this one, but he told me that it has coasting regen, Ather people have told him that at incline just leave the accelerator and it will activate regen.

He might have been also promised 3 years of pro connect.