Portable charger usage

Thank u for ur inputs, I opted for a portable charger just because my society would not even listen to my request or suggestion of fixing a dot near my meter giving vague answers that children would get electrocuted and permissions needed from electricity department. one even suggested me to cancel my booking! (felt like giving him a whack on his face) neverthless i am left with the only option of using a portable charger with an extension cord (about 5 meters long) and dropping it down to the ground floor as luckily i stay on the first floor and have an option of parking the scooter below my bedrooms window, that is how i have planned for now and was hoping that this would be the best solution, but the portable chargers manual suggest to not use an extension cord! pls suggest what i do and necessary precautions to take.

I’ve already planned to roll and cover up the entire length of the extension cord cable and the portable chargers cable with Plastic sheets so that they are protected from water and splashes, anything else?

4 Likes

Not an issue if you use a good quality extension box with good wire gauge. Just ensure the socket you use has proper earthing.

I use my charger with extension cable from second floor.

1 Like

Hi, I am not able to find the difference in warranties of Dot and APC on the forum can u pls mention them here, thanks.

1 Like

No difference both are same in different shell and additionally dot is just linked to your vehicle no other vehicle(Ather) can be charged with that. Other wise technology and charging rate wise every thing is same including warrenty.

5 Likes

So what precautions do u take with the APC during rains bro? since it will be exposed to external elements, is it possible to place it under the seat and take the wires alone outside with one end to charge and the other to connect the external cord? have u tried this way to protect the box alone? as i presume this part is sensitive with water splashes and therefore should be protected.

1 Like

The core charger unit is fully weatherproofed. No circuitry is in any danger. Only the external fan might get wet if that. The covers don’t make any significant difference to water ingress.

Refer to pictures here: https://forum.atherenergy.com/t/ather-dot-is-mandatory/15016/42?u=blackworks

2 Likes

Yup, got it bro, thanks and that is one good DIY u did with ur APC.

1 Like

@abhishek.balaji, What is the Warranty of portable charger and Dot. I had different answers from customer support and show room. One said both are 3 years, othe executive said portable is 2 years Dot is 3 years and another said portable is just 1 year warranty and Dot have 3 years warranty. Why is there different answers from your employees? Is there any warranty documentation available? If so please link for the 450x and charger.

4 Likes

I just got call stating that there is very shortage of portable chargers due to this there will be delay in delivering the scooter. Showroom guys are not able to give estimated date.

Can u help with any usually how many days it will take to deliver the scooter in this case??

2 Likes

@abhishek.balaji is it possible to know why the 450X does not have an onboard charger similar to 450?

Does it mean that the DOT is atleast IPX3 class rated?

1 Like

The on board charger was removed from the 450x as part of a weight reduction (and of course cost reduction) exercise. Ather reduced around 7kilos. This also reduced complexities with their 2 chargers.

Regards to the chargers, there is no IP rating mentioned . Just that the home charger has an additional cover, it will have higher resistance than the portable charger

1 Like

So it means that the customer is technically carrying a DOT charger (without the outer casing).

1 Like

hi I am using a portable charger from an extension taken from my house on the first floor and I am using the air conditioner socket which is the 15 amp one . will that socket be sufficient to charge the scooter?. and which would you guys recommend me using an extension from my house or getting an electrician and asking him to install a socket near my parking for charging like based on cost which is cheaper a long extension or he installing a socket?

4 Likes

Having dedicated point in parking is always better option for convenience. You can use meter box to keep power point locked and even charger. extension as temporary solution you can try if feasible. standard 5 a socket works as well.

5 Likes

Hi all, I recently purchased 450x, just had a clarification regarding portable charger.

Due to the theft scare i have this idea of charging my vehicle using portable charger by keeping it under the seat storage.

I tried this and i was able to just keep portable charger inside and both plugs and charging socket outside with seat locked.

Just want to know how safe it is to do this? Will this have an effect on the battery as its near the storage or the vehicle itself?

Appreciate your suggestions

2 Likes

Don’t think charging/theft while keeping the charger on the outside should be an issue as the solenoids lock while you turn off the key and Charging is on.

1 Like

The only problem is that the heat generated by the adapter won’t dissipate as easily as it would when the charger is kept in the open. But since the under seat storage space is not really air-tight, it shouldn’t be an issue.

Also can you please post a picture. I’m curious to see how the cable length was enough to reach the power socket when the charger is inside the under seat storage.

1 Like

If the portable charger is left in an open parking space and there is a sprinkle of water, would that not be problematic too? It doesn’t look like the portable charger is water-proof / water-resistant.

2 Likes

Even though the portable charger does not have an official IP rating there is a good amount of potting on the PCB and a silicone gasket in the case that helps resistance of water from entering.

My advice is never to keep the Charger in the boot space while charging, there is enough heat generated in the charger which if not vented may lead to component failure / short circuit over time.

4 Likes

Of course it’s not good. the same is mentioned in the Dot’s user manual

In the user manual of the portable charger, the ventilation part of it is stressed a bit more

7 Likes